My one year old black cocker spaniel

As per the title. I have a one year old female black cocker with a superb UK kennel club pedigree. She is full of life and a very happy dog, very affectionate, never stops sniffing the ground for whatever in our hectares. She is so lovely that she deserves to have some puppies. She will come into season this month but we thought we would wait for the next season before contemplating having puppies.

So, my question is, are there any UK kennel club dogs locally that could be a father ? We live just outside Prayssac, 46220.

I do not know whether one has to pay to the owners of the dog for a service. Any advice would be appreciated. Please get back to me for telephone number or email address.

There is a big 'BUT' Karen.

Puppies can only be registered with the UK Kennel Club if they are born in the UK! That is why I asked Patrick if he had a UK address at which the puppies can be registered so that they look as if they have been UK born. After birth they can be exported (on paper) to France.

We have a yellow Lab, born in the UK, who has a black patch on one of her hind legs so she could not be registered with the French Kennel Club (SCC). We had friends in the UK who, although the puppies were born in France, had Isla's puppies registered as being born in the UK. Export papers were then dawn up, at a cost, showing them as exported to France. The puppies were perfect, all yellow puppies with no black. Puppies were sold at full market value in France and were duly confirmed in France as pedigree puppies, although mother could not be registered in France.

As said, there are no simplistic solutions to breeding puppies in France from UK born stock!

I have all the papers from the Kennel club and the breeder in the UK together with the health checks.

Just a thought if you're wanting any future pups to be UK kennel club registered, check on your own dogs papers that any pups can be registered. Our dogs were sold only with a pet registration and to breed we have to go back to the breeders and show that the appropriate health checks have been completed. If we satisfy them they will then contact the UK kennel club and remove the restriction allowing any pups born to be kennel club registered.

Hi Patrick

Friday night after 7.00pm is fine. I will be up from Kennels by then. Third season is ideal. Good idea to read up on the UK Kennel Club website. So many opinions about anything and everything on here that it is good to go to a well respected source.

Here says a retired academic!

Thanks Karen.

Thanks Alan. She has had one season which was 6 months after she was born. Waiting for another about now. Maybe I should wait until this time next year when she will be 2 years old. Can I call you tomorrow night?

Advice from UK Kennel Club is third season and not before 18 months. Seasons are not always 6 months apart. They can be nearer 10 or even 12 months.

Re health screening, it varies according to breed and country. We are in France and genetic lines are different. Patrick will find it hard to find a UK bred stud dog, but there are French lines that go back to the UK.

One need to know the whole picture before giving opinions. Everyone and their grandmother knows about hips and eyes in Labs, but few know about Fucosidosis in some spaniel breeds. I have made a friend request from Patrick so that my wife and I can explain the pitfalls more fully.

I thought the general recommendation was that bitches had to be 2 years old before they could be bred? Also for kennel club registered do they need to be checked for health issues such as eye testing, hip scores etc? Temperament alone isn't the sign of a good dog to bred from.

Hi

I breed Springer Spaniels and Labradors, and the system in France is very different. Firstly, for UK Kennel Club. Any pedigree dog coming form the UK needs to gain LOF registration if you want to class any puppies as pedigree. See the website of the SCC: www.scc.asso.fr If you do not mind the puppies not being registered as pedigree then that is one hurdle less. Secondly do you have an address in the UK to which any puppies can be registered to by the UK Kennel Club? That is easier. To find a suitable stud dog check out the Spaniel Club of France http://www.spaniels.fr/

One suggestion is to go to a Dog show (see http://www.cedia.fr/) and speak to some breeders. Yes you would in all probability pay a stud fee equal to the price of a puppy. PM me for my phone number and my wife and I will put you more fully in the picture.

Regards: