Naff or what, or was it the thing to do?

Yes recall that but never had one.

I did have an instamatic camera complete with those funny flash lamps. My family had a Polaroid camera which although trendy turned out dodgy photos most of the time. My son bought one on ebay a couple of years back and still works ok.

I bought a Hillman 6 sedan for £38 from a neighbour in the early '60s.

https://images.app.goo.gl/CZwFEKyaddtFnFBp8

It had lots of novel features like a little handle in the dashboard that raised the windscreen through 30° so you could feel the fresh air on you face, and little plaited velour dangly pineapple things for rear passengers to use, presumably to help them to lift their arses off the velour seats.

Never saw the likes of those since.

I cracked the chassis driving it up the pavement to park it. Pity that.

1 Like

Blimey, what a beast !

Not very “aerodynamic” methinks ?

1 Like

@Peter_Bird: “Blimey, what a beast!”

Yes, he was beefy, but rather elegant: think Placido Domingo.

The 4-speed gearbox used to sing, soprano in first, alto in second, tenor in third and bass-baritone in fourth. The tenor was very unreliable and used to jump into the orchestra pit after a couple of worthy attempts to hold a line.

I had to ‘hold him by the ball’ :astonished:(on the gear stick) until he had reached top C, then let the bass-baritone carry the theme for the rest of the piece. :notes::musical_note::musical_score::musical_note::notes:

1 Like

I learnt to drive in, and my first car was a Hillman Imp (but the slightly pimped up fastback version) .It was a great way to teach yourself car mechanics, every weekend IIRC😣

1 Like

The Imp with 875 cc engine which is a bit bigger than the 848cc in my first car, a willow green Austin mini van which managed 55mph downhill wind assisted. Everything rattled including me !

1 Like

Bet you didn’t need to change the head gasket every month though☹

2 Likes

No, the engine was sound enough, pity about the bodywork tho’ !!

The battery was in a compartment just behind the drivers seat and next to the flimsy rear seat. The battery leakage plus the usual seaside corrosion made the vehicle resemble a Fred Flintstone car ! I’ve no idea how many times the floor was strengthened/repaired.

1 Like

As an teenager, my mate’s dad had several Imps on the drive in various states of being dismantled or decay. He had remained loyal to this particular car, despite having changed the head gasket on one, one night, in the rain, by the roadside in South Mimms.

1 Like

When you’d done it a couple of times, you could get quite quick at it, mind you the head (and rocker cover) bolts on the first/last cylinder were always a bit of a bastard/fiddly. Never changed one by the roadside in the rain though - did the drive couplings a few times roadside

2 Likes

Loons! Had forgotten about those. Wandered around Edinburgh Uni in these, at least 10” too long, and barefoot of course. Then relaxed to the colors of my lava lamp - believe that you can still buy them!

1 Like

Can’t decide which I preferred to ogle, girls in mini skirts or hot pants ?

Nothing wrong with both Peter😎(back in the day, probably not now though)

I think it would be head turning now

@Jonathan_Barclay thinks “it would be head turning now”.

I agree, Jonathan, nowadays style has to be slavishly and expensively copied, not created. So sad! :smiley:

We had a Hillman Imp as our first car. The only mechanical problem we had was to lose the clutch just outside Bettyhill in Sutherland. The result was our falling in love with Tongue and its surroundings. A love which has never faded and should we be forced to leave France the far North of Scotland is where we’ll be heading

1 Like

I still have the lava lamp.

2 Likes

Blimey, our one exploded in about 1982 !

1 Like

Surely this post is both unpleasant and unacceptable - You have started a thread about nostalgia and turned it into something else - When l first saw this post l thought it was off and read it to Madame Wood, who is a very broadminded not from the me too generation and was wearing both of the types of attire you describe in the1960s/70s. She found it insulting and in her words “Sexist and wrong on so many levels, surely he didn’t write that!”

Any chance you could remove it Peter?

Ironically the post would have been acceptable at the time we are talking about. Fortunately things have moved on. I didn’t see this yesterday, if I had I probably wouldn’t have commented but would have thought it a bit ‘off’

1 Like