Nasty alerts of virus/trojan which make you try and buy programmes

and mess up your internet access too.

I had this once before and had to send computer away to remove it.

I cannot run AVG (which nomally scans daily)

I think there is something you can download to get rid of this little blighter..

Any thoughts, help appreciated..

Many thanks

Diana

thanks Nick… it seems to be quiet now with the Malware programme… I run on Google Chrome, changed ages ago as I know IE is a bit iffy.

The PC is fairly old now… and not sure I would know how to restore from installation media… all to scary!

Appreciate your help…

Diana, to be honest if you machine has been infected, then you can’t really trust the machine, and it is always best to backup your personal data, and do a restore from your original installation media. Make sure you have installed all your anti-virus software before connecting back to the internet, and make sure you always use one of the secure browsers now available, like Firefox or Google Chrome.

I would also never install any piece of software that you can’t authenticate it’s provenance , and be extremely conservative with what you do with the machine. These days I always recommend a move to a far more secure environment like Ubuntu Linux, which allows you to do everything Windows does, but is extremely secure, and doesn’t need all this anti-virus software installed to just browse the web or write a letter.

Regards

Nick

thanks Ian… someone twitter advised a malware programme… had 817 nasties… now in quarantine… so hopefully sorted… nasty wee things… diana

Hi Diana,
You could try a reputable on-line virus scanner - just Google “online virus scan” and you get sites such as Bit Defender.
HTH,
Ian