Negotiations to facilitate youth mobility between EU & UK

I know what you mean,but why do we have to wait another 5 years,we have already had 8 years of this farce,are people really still waiting for the cheaper food,clothes and fuel etc,wake up and smell the bull**** everyone.You would think by now that parents and grandparents would have conceded that their ignorance had selfishly restricted their children and grandchildren from so much that they would be embarrassed by it all.

Any reason why the EU would welcome the UK back so readily?

2 Likes

You don’t live in the UK, do you?

I think if it ever happens, it’ll take at least a generation, maybe some people are too young to remember how long it took to join the EEC.

1 Like

I didn’t say we had to wait 5 years, I said ask me again in 5 years.

The question is - “What is Labour going to actually *do* about the EU when they get into power”? Starmer - for understandable reasons - does not want to fight the 2025 election over Brexit and he has (needlessly IMO) painted himself into a corner - the response to this latest development only reinforcing his official stance of “no going back”.

Within the next 5 years, remembering that Labour might only get one term, I don’t see us rejoining. Maybe some fiddling around the edges - that said commitment to align on sanitary and phytosanitary standards would reduce a lot of friction and there are a lot of other areas where cooperation could be improved but I don’t see interest in anything like FoM, even in this limited form, for a long time. Perhaps, as @DrMarkH says, a generation.

1 Like

This is promising though…

Agree, but we know how little the government (of either variety sadly) is swayed by public opinion (I don’t really count Brexit as the people’s will imposed upon our leaders BTW, given how easily and shamelessly that opinion was manipulated).

I think a generation - 20 years at the least - will be required before seriously considering a rejoin, but prepared to be proved wrong.

2 Likes

“Cheap London”? There’s a phrase I’ve never read before. Must have been a while back as even the utterly rank parts are silly money now.

3 bed terraced house in Thornton Heath £74,000. Effectively the same house off the Botley road in Oxford (less desirable) £100,000. We might have found something at a similar price to our old house in Blackbird Leys, but it made Thornton Heath look salubrious and it would have been made of cardboard.

Food costs - I London supermarkets were the most expensive places to shop, and local markets offered much better value - Croydon’s Surrey Street was especially good. Oxfordshire supermarkets were the cheapest place for food (though more expensive than London SMs) and the Saturday markets were not only more expensive, but sold lower quality produce.

Rates etc - all higher in Oxfordshire.

Want to get around? Living outside a town requires driving everywhere, and there is no effective public transport. This was something we’d really not considered, because as a townie you take transport for granted.

Etc Etc.

It hasn’t got any better round here in 34 years either. Beautiful area (rapidly disappearing under concrete as large numbers of very expensive houses are built) but we pay for the privilege.

I agree. I want to be wrong, but I agree.

And it had Beanos​:sunglasses::sunglasses::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Beano’s was kind of round the corner, but yes.

When it first opened, it was in Surrey Street. It moved to the bigger shop just off Crown hill a bit later

1 Like

Eminent pollster Sir John Curtice thinks a Rejoin Referendum will happen probably within the next 15 years:

See you in 2040. :wink:

If I’m still breathing.

1 Like

I’ll be 79 if still alive.

It’s only 16 years away… The Brexit vote was 8 years ago, so only twice that time. And he did say “before” 2040 - it could be next Thursday. :smiley: :smiley:

I’ll be 83, so you’re buying the drinks at the EHPAD :smiley:

1 Like