Never assume things can't change

Interesting report from the BBC this morning:

It’s also a warning about taking positions without being aware of the world around you.

4 Likes

Élisabeth BORNE

@Elisabeth_Borne

Je marcherai tout à l’heure pour les valeurs de la République et contre l’antisémitisme, car ce combat est vital pour notre cohésion nationale.
Les postures n’ont pas leur place dans ce moment grave.
L’absence de La France Insoumise parle d’elle-même.
La présence du Rassemblement National ne trompe personne

1 Like

But will other French people be as perceptive as her?

Elisabeth Borne has Jewish roots so the Israel/Hamas conflict is personal, you’d like to think she would attend the march no matter what.

What is disappointing is that Melenchon and the far left cannot put aside their hatred of the far right for a day to express solidarity with the third largest Jewish population in the world.

5 Likes

Ideally we need marches that reflect both the London and Parisian marchers’ concerns with people from both sides marching together, but that’s so unlikely

2 Likes

How else could the differentiate themselves? :roll_eyes:

But yes, it would be fantastic to see both Jews and Palestinians - and their supporters - all marching together with a common aim to halt the war on both sides.

1 Like

I would like to see marches against extremism of any sort.

1 Like

Bit extreme, :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Well women are trying! I know my relatives in Israel are working with Palestinians to maintain a common life.

https://english.alarabiya.net/News/middle-east/2023/10/04/Israeli-Palestinian-women-unite-in-joint-rally-for-peace

4 Likes

Is there anything more recent - dated 4th October? I hope that doesn’t seem insensitive to ask.

Not that I’m aware - but don’t read arabic or hebrew

Small event in Salzburg

1 Like

These words in a NYT article written by Lydia Polgreen

“One of the hardest parts of journalism is witnessing horror and then trying, in words, sound and image, to convey that pain to the wider world. Many people may want to look away, to see the world as they prefer to see it. But what should we see when we see war? What should war demand all of us to see and understand?”