New french verb! 🤣

Ah-Ha! Brilliant! Confirms my theory that ‘shopping’ means different things to men and women.

I have a narrative to illustrate this.

Two women announce they are going shopping. Their men wish them a happy day. The women return hours later. The men ask if they had a good time.

“Marvellous”
“What did you buy?”
“Oh! We didn’t buy anything …”

2 Likes

In a Lidl catalogue
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-15 at 20.30.40_7abd072b

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-15 at 20.22.19_cabd1b9a

Jegging? A combo of jogging and legging, I s’pose. I must contact the OED.

Back to boxes …

There are yet another three good old A-Saxon words for the same item. One - twit - has lost that meaning and morphed from an insult into an innocuous word for silly person.- ref the M.Python’s ‘Upper Class Twits’ skit.

The other two have retained the insulting meaning whilst still referring to ‘a box’ - twot and twat.

Jeans and leggings. It’s a word in use in English too, though the actual clothing is like leggings with a bit more structure (button waiste/zip fly) rather than just being skin-tight stretchy jeans now.

I wonder what these are called… perhaps shunderpants? Or Boxer Shirts?

1 Like

I thought this might amuse you!

Where’s Borat when you (don’t) need him? :crazy_face: :flushed:

Jeans and leggings, as sold in Marks and Spencer so not that new!

https://www.marksandspencer.com/fr/jeggings-taille-haute/p/000000060613477010.html?extid=ps_ggl_FR_FR_PMAX_WW&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmNeqBhD4ARIsADsYfTds7_tFroZjYIduTLpjNdeedi31LVxNIHVEikaAKxIv0wNGgB6F8Q8aArI_EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 Like

Jane, I had no idea. I live a very sheltered life. I do not cruise the women’s clothing depts, esp the ones featuring ‘smalls’.

Thus I was suitably amazed when I became a deux with a g/f who bought stuff at Ann Summers and the like … :astonished:

And handily delivered in France as I have found to a relais point boutique near you called ‘Mode er Charme’

Also do a good range of feather flips. For dusting.

3 Likes

Those things in front are, um, interesting, they are thong knickers disguised as roses, it says on them :wink: I think I’d rather get a rose…

3 Likes

Ah ha! Shows how much I don’t know. :blush:

My ostrich feather flip, used exclusively for actual dusting, lives in an enclosure quite similar. ( I was too busy not looking when I visited the shop/relais pick-up point to collect my M&S parcel. )

3 Likes

Of course we believe you Susannah. However a picture of you with the ostrich feather flip, “dusting” might convince us. We’d promise to ignore the stilettos, the bunny girl type outfit and the fishnets :wink:

3 Likes

That bloke looks disturbingly like Farage with a shaved head.

Must go to opticians, what I thought were bottles on shelf in background are absolutely not. Latex would keep one warm while dusting tho’.

2 Likes

:rofl:

Hate to break it to you, but those aren’t roses in the foreground either :wink:

2 Likes

FWIW I can quite see why you’d think they were bottles.

As one who used to wear latex gloves (before they were replaced by nitrile) it doesn’t keep you warm. TBH it’s hard to imagine a material less ‘sexy’, but I understand that there are a wide variety of tastes and preferences.

I was probably thinking of neoprene, like wetsuits…Not an area I have experience in :rofl:

2 Likes

Counter-intuitively, a neoprene wetsuit keeps you warm underwater not because of the neoprene itself (which is usually quite thin, 3-5mm) but because of the layer of water trapped between it and your skin, which initially of course is warmed by your body.

Water is quite a good insulator.

In very cold water divers use drysuits instead, which as the name implies are watertight.

1 Like

Babygrows…

3 Likes