New Lockdown

Will La Poste be open as normal for Post Offices?

Hereā€™s your 10km morning walkiesā€¦

Whoopsā€¦linked to my morning walk. Edited . You need to fill in your own address.

1 Like

Laissez-faire just about covers it.

I did say this some time ago on here, possibly even last year, but was dismissed out of hand. Boris said something recently about not ruling out a further lockdown and my social media was immediately full of people under 30 in the U.K. genuinely distressed, traumatised even, at the thought of another lockdown as their mental health had taken such a dive in the last year. There are huge swathes of incredibly upset, damaged even, younger people, and if Iā€™m honest all I felt at the time on here was that people couldnā€™t give a flying fig so just never mentioned it again, not least as I didnā€™t want to battle with people as to why going back into lockdown should have been the very last resort, just as Macron has done.

We may save 500k people from dying from the physical illness of Covid, but we may end up with hundreds of thousands, if not millions of deeply emotionally damaged people, some of who may be so damaged they become, instead of a Covid death, a Covid related mental health death which would be an absolute tragedy.

Iā€™m not anti anything to be clear, be it mask, vaccine, lockdown, in fact I have been very pro-confinement for all of 2020, it has clearly shown to be the right thing, but it does feel like people, presumably because they can see and understand the physical threat to their own health from Covid, have either been ignorant of or chosen to ignore the vast mental health crisis that repeatedly doing this is potentially causing, and one that does apply to all ages, but seems especially pronounced amongst younger people, a toll which I think could if weā€™re not careful end up being more catastrophic than the physical toll of Covid.

Iā€™m genuinely very worried about the worldā€™s under 30s as they seem to have been completely forgotten in this crisis and I hope in all countries significant resources will be made available, although no doubt most countries will be in such a state financially I suspect mental health funding will be tightened at the exact time it should be significantly increased.

3 Likes

Its not as if they have bombs dropping on them like our parents.
Self obsessed with nothing but media social or otherwise. If they actually did something instead of just discussing whos got distressed moreā€¦

8 Likes

Iā€™ll remind you of that when they all start committing suicide @Corona. Iā€™m sure even then youā€™ll just say they were whiny babies who should have toughened up. You can tell their parents that at the funeral and how they obviously didnā€™t raise them right like they did in the olden daysā€¦ :roll_eyes:

Do we really have this little compassion for others? I give up, I honestly doā€¦

5 Likes

John Withall makes a valid point. If they get this traumatised by a few temporary restrictions theyā€™d be hysterical in a real crisis.
There are too many apologists around nowadays IMHO which does little for moral or mental fibre.

5 Likes

Well ā€˜theyā€™ may be traumatised but Iā€™ve heard a lot of whining about restrictions on here lately from ā€˜olderā€™ people. Just sayingā€¦

10 Likes

Well said Kirstea. Young people have put their lives on hold for a year for the benefit of their elders. For older people with generally settled homes and relationships. the pandemic has been relatively easy. Young people have born the brunt of it, even though covid would not be a serious illness for most of them - they are making sacrifices for the rest or us.
When somebody does something to help me, I donā€™t denigrate them. I thank them.

8 Likes

Sorry about that Damian :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

@kirsteastevenson well you werenā€™t dismissed out of hand by meā€¦(or at least I bloody hope not!). Iā€™ve been concerned about it for ages

3 Likes

No, certainly not @JaneJones. To be honest it was some time ago and I canā€™t remember who it was, I just remember coming away smarting a little which is why I remember it to this day :joy:

Well I certainly havenā€™t been ā€˜whiningā€™ and as far as Iā€™m concerned in a situation like this, as with the war, everybody pulls together for the common good.
I personally do not doubt that the young may have personally been more adversely affected than the elderly (apart from actually dying that is) but I would hardly consider this sufficient cause to crack up and consider suicide. When you consider what many people have to fight against and live with on a daily basis one has to balance where ones sympathies must lie.

3 Likes

Suicide is complex Damian. Sometimes people who seem to have everything going for them take their own lives while many in much worse situations soldier on. Who knows the inner pain others may being experiencing. I donā€™t mean to lecture, just it is terribly complex. :pensive:

4 Likes

Thank you for putting that so well. Suicide awareness and prevention are very important indeed and so many people already struggling have been pushed to their wits end by the crisis.

2 Likes

I appreciate this John and Iā€™m not totally lacking in compassion. Perhaps I have a little too much of the ā€˜stiff upper lipā€™ about me for some people.

1 Like

I meant no criticism whatsoever Damian :slightly_smiling_face:

I took it in good faith John and certainly no offence taken.

1 Like

I think many of them are terribly anxious about contaminating and being the direct cause of death of parents or grandparents or other extended family, it certainly looks like a major worry for the many many 15-18 year-olds I know.

4 Likes

Which particular war do you have experience of living through?!!

1 Like