New Lockdown

and all my sympathy goes out to them, Colin, but it is also a case that the vaccines arrive here at a very slow rate, a mate of mine popped in to see me yesterday, he’s a nurse and has been on the front line testing and now vaccinating people, he’s only just received his first vaccination. For the rest of us we’ve got to wait our turn. I’ll be eligeable this summer but in the meantime I’m in the front line too!

As I am sure you are well aware Cat I have not personally lived through any war. I was using that as a comparison as it had been implied by the person to whose contribution I was responding.

I think that today’s younger generation have grown up in a very different world to even that of a few years before and we cannot ‘judge’ them from the same perspective

5 Likes

If you download and install the TousAntiCovid app on your phone, it has a built-in Attestation generator that remembers you details so you just need to pick your reason for being more than 10k away from home and it’ll generate it for you.

2 Likes

No we have compassion by the lorry load, its tough for everyone but even then think of the other places in the big wide world where people are dodging bullets from cowardly snipers and IED’s. They have the real problems to deal with. So much discussion on the radio on poor mental health that I actually believe I am suffering from it because everyone else is.
If the focus is solely on this and nothing else positive then it wont be any surprise if we do have more suicide.
When you consider examples of young people egging on others to commit suicide what a world.

3 Likes

I did two tours of the ‘Nam…*

*Dagenham.

5 Likes

And the future seems to be very bleak for many that I’ve had contact with. We all have loads of great memories and life experiences to keep us going right now. Younger people don’t, and that makes them more vulnerable. These years are when you should be going out, having fun, and meeting people and learning who you are. Not sat indoors by yourself.

Plus it is disproportional, a youngster has had over 5% of their life affected by this - a big chunk. For older people just a percent or so.

7 Likes

I tried my old, and new improved, addresses on the attestation link posted earlier and it wouldn’t accept either. No problem for me, I know how to calculate a 10 km circle but I would like to know if there is a link to a new attestation or is it identical to the last one?

My computer won’t even load the circle thing.

Have you tried this link if you haven’t got the tousanticovid on your phone

Or for printing out on paper

1 Like

Thanks Jane, I don’t have a phone that does much more than make and receive calls and texts, but I’ll have a look at that 2nd link and get some printed off. :slightly_smiling_face:

A point well made Catharine. What is this thing some Brits have about reaching for ‘THE WAR’ every time they need a comparison? It’s almost as they feel they heroically fought it even though they were not born, or were babes in arms at the time.
It was everywhere during the brexit debates. My Dad - who really did remember the war, and was a remainer - always thought it was the generation below his, who had actually had the easy life of the post-war boom years, that were gung-ho about the war and brexit, because they really knew nothing about the reality of either war or the situation facing the post 2008 crash generation.

1 Like

Even though I’m the tail end of the baby boomers and so the generation he’s complaining about, I agree. Clearly a sage bloke, your dad :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please read my comments again before posing erroneous arguments. I have explained that I was not referencing ‘the war’ specifically myself but was simply expanding on a point that another member made that compared with what many other people have lived through and are living through the implications of Covid are relatively minor. I suspect people having their women raped and mutilated and families wiped out in Myanmar, Congo and elsewhere would agree.
Perspective, perspective.

1 Like

Thanks for the map Jane - very useful!

That’s an interesting (!) way of putting it. The second phrase seems very odd to me.

1 Like

I do not know why you consider it very odd Vero.
Perspective is the key word.

Thanks for the links to the paper attestations, Jane. Saved me hunting!

If you read my comment again Damian you’ll see I wasn’t commenting on you or any other individual, but on a widespread, very striking and very odd phenomenon in British culture.

One of the things I find most odd about it is that when I was growing up - principally through the 1960s - the war indeed loomed large - in our play, in films, for example - but people didn’t talk about it as Brits do now - neither as often nor in the same way; indeed generally I think people looked forward, not back. The future was seen as shiny and new and clean and full of hope. Look at the future visions of the time - in science fiction, for example - they were generally utopian; now they are dystopian. Those whose formative years were between the late 40s and the 80s (objectively, economically, the boom years before the 70s oil shocks and the neo-liberal response to them) had it easy in this respect - myself included; but younger people’s lives have got progressively more difficult in my view, especially after the 2008 crash, when most people finally ceased to believe the future would be better than the past.

Of course you can always point to people that have had harder lives - are having harder lives elsewhere in the world - but I don’t think this excuses a relatively comfortable generation harshly criticising a relatively disadvantaged one.

1 Like

Aside from anything else because in your awkward ham-fisted phrasing you have managed to make women sound like property

Their women?

Aside from that, it does feel like you’re so desperately clutching at straws to convince people of your point at this stage that you’re just saying words. No one needed to mention the war, or any war, my original point was nothing about comparing how good or bad groups of society have things or have had things, and I’m very disappointed that a couple of members (although seemingly most understood the point I was making) felt the need to go off on this classic ‘belligerent old man’ tangent of “In myyyyy day we ‘ad it so tuff, not like the kids these days with their Playstations and iPhones” or nonsense to that ilk, instead of just showing the kindness and consideration for others that most other people have shown in their comments.

2 Likes