New Lockdown

You don’t find anything odd about the phrase “people having their women raped and mutilated” , really?
I think
a) actually being raped and mutilated is worse (ok shame fury etc because of not stopping it happening but that makes it all about your feelz which are admittedly valid, rather than the direct victim.)
b) there’s a problem with referring to women as chattels

1 Like

FGS…I wasn’t referring to women as chattels. Perhaps I should have said “a society having the female contingent of its whole”…is that better.
My whole drive was intended to be compassionate instead of which all I seem to have done is inflame sensitivities.
Therefore from my ‘intended’ point of view I stand by what I said.
To Geoff Cox… of course I accept your point. I took your original comment to be obliquely targeted at myself as it followed upon my counter to Cat.

1 Like

I might also point out that ‘belligerent old men’ (to which group I do not belong) are entitled to an opinion. Just because a viewpoint is current does not neccessarily make it correct. Making insulting insinuations about people who might appear to have different values can be equally offensive.

3 Likes

How about “people being raped and mutilated and having their families wiped out”.

1 Like

I agree with pretty much everything you said there. It’s lucky I didn’t do any of that then I guess. :+1:

1 Like

Phew… :+1:

1 Like

I’m not surprised.
Are they just picking on your village do you know or other villages subject to the same scrutiny?

I don’t think the small businesses who have given up trying to export to Europe and I have heard interviews from some S & M companies who are saying that either they will give up exporting to Europe or they will have to find a depot in Europe, which means more jobs for Europe and less for UK.
The fiasco is to be laid totally at the hands of the Commission and piss poor planning for vaccinations.

ICU beds in Paris are now being filled with people under 45.

2 Likes

They are generally very militant and vigilant in the district and the department, to be honest. Our village is really small so a police patrol twice a day feels just a little oppressive to some.

“I suspect people having their women raped and mutilated…”
The “their” relates to the people or the society and so I fail to see how you could deduce that I was inferring that the women of these societies are a possession of the men within these societies.
I am sorry to labour this point but feel strongly that it needs clarification as I object to being called sexist or mysogynistic when nothing could be further from the truth.

I can see how it can be interpreted, ‘their women’
But just to add.
Men can be raped and mutilated too, and little children forced to be soldiers. People are traffiked as slaves.
And this happens in this day and age. Everyone, man woman and child, can suffer, but that doesn’t change the reality that the current situation has taken from some people the last of their resources and has left many desperate and some dead from despair.
Each situation is different.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to labour this point too, nevertheless, language is precise and words have meanings: if you say “people having their women raped and mutilated” their is a possessive adjective qualifying women in relation to people. (To put it less emotively think of the sentence “people having their cars washed and polished”) the implication is that people and women are two distinct groups, people on the one hand and women on the the other, and that women belong to people. Now I am sure that isn’t what you meant - it is, however, what you wrote.

And I don’t say this to be mean but you didn’t infer anything, you implied and I inferred :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Read above!

Sorry if this has already been said, I jumped in before reading to last post :frowning_woman:

You could try this one… Calculateur de rayon de carte
If it doesn’t understand your address you can just zoom in and move the map around until you get your place in the centre.

1 Like

Wow, address came up straight away, thanks Fleur.

Glad you got it going Annajayne! It worked for me straight away when other sites didn’t.

1 Like

I got miles??

of the rôle women play (have played)…

I often wonder as I drive past a small hillock near a crossroads in the Charente… how many Germans might be buried there at the hands of the Femmes Résistance… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ooh, you picked my favourite subject, the resistance. I am a mad enthusiast about WW2 in Northern France and the Resistance.

2 Likes