New Pool recommendations

I’m sure this was discussed about a year ago… and the documents did turn up eventually… blowed if I can find it now though…

something about pools with rental accommodation, being classed as public pools and falling under that category for water stuff…

quite different legislation covers “private” pools which are used by home owner family and friends…

Thanks

Hopefully things will go to plan.

Had a meeting with the building company today and now it’s just a wait on the land purchase and building permission that can take quite some time here in France by the look of it.

I need to find some time to look at all the comments on here once we are home and get it all into some order in my head.

Gavin… just a thought

Have you spoken with the Mairie to ensure that you will be able to do what you plan to do… what you would like to do…

It is quite normal to talk things through before buying land and or property… and sometimes walking away if permissions will not be granted… better to know in advance.

That’s not what I wanted to hear about the salt chlorination but better to find out before getting things built.

I quite agree on the poorly maintained point as I think some people’s answer is just to add lots of chlorine to kill bacteria even when it already has enough.

This is the first pool that’s been salt chlorinated that we have been in and all feel it’s nice on the skin that’s why I asked the question on here.

We use air B and B normally twice a year and most have a pool. I Would normally prefer the sea and only go in the pool to be with the kids preferring to avoid chlorine.

This is all going to get more complicated but worth every bit if this week is anything to go by.

Close monitoring and maintenance are the key I know.

Being able to remotely monitor will be peice of mind that I can see what whoever is looking after it is doing regarding PH and chlorine levels.

We need to wait for the offer acceptance (compre de vee) probably not spelt anything like that.

Will then contact the Marie through the solicitor Then the planning will be submitted with the pool size and location etc along with the house planning.

We have months ahead but want to have plenty of information so I can question the poool companies and not be fobbed of with information I don’t understand.

Gavin… might be an idea to have a “get out clause” in case the Mairie do NOT let you do what you want…

this is why folk often “talk things through” at the Mairie, before taking things to the legal stages… you can contact the Mairie yourself… doesn’t have to be done through an intermediary…

I do know folk who have been badly let down on finding they cannot do such and such…

The salt pool feels better is subjective advertising, they are both chlorine pools. Direct chlorine dosing, once the chlorine has depleted salt is left behind, therefore they all become salt pools.
Most of the comments made by manufacturers is pure marketing. The difference if you use magnesium salt along with sodium salt is a more pleasant bathe as used in health spas.

Sorry John but I disagree. It’s not “subjective advertising” that means I can swim in our salt pool without goggles.

Correctly cared for direct chlorine pools are also fine without goggles. My guests had contact lenses and were very happy, it was actually Freya and her husband.
Irritation is a sign of bad pool maintenance, be that pH or high chloramines. Low pH causes more irritation than high, eye drops can be much higher than pool pH

I agree with you Sue - it’s not just subjective advertising. I haven’t found any objective comparison that doesn’t give salt pools the edge - even Wikipedia. The following example - from an American ‘Which’ equivalent - ie. independent of any vendors or pool professionals, and not funded by advertising - is fairly typical…

Again in those facts there are not straight comparisons, no mention of the cost of a replacement cell which has a finite life span and would level the cost. The annual chemical costs illustrated for the chlorine pool are way out.
The ratio of free available chlorine to CYA stabiliser means the chlorine concentration will be the same.
If people purchased chlorine dosing units that would give a degree of chemical automation similar to a salt chlorine generator.
You don’t get stinging eyes or dried out skin if the pool is run properly.
Now if you think I am biased, I am going to change to salt chlorination myself soon, for no other reason than not having to rely on someone to shop for chlorine for me. I do not rent the house any more.

No mention in the article about handling strong acids to counter the constantly rising pH of a salt chlorinator

1 Like

But it’s just one example of many similar genuinely disinterested comparisons - the figures vary for obvious reasons, and all mention the equally obvious point that there is an upfront cost for the electrolyser (which also varies enormously) - but I haven’t come across any - not one - that on balance doesn’t favour salt pools - and all seem to mention the kinder to eyes/skin aspect.
Nor have I ever come across anybody saying of a chlorine pool ‘Wow this pool is really kinder to my eyes/skin than other pools I’ve swam in’ - but this is a very common reaction - like Sue’s here - to salt pools.
Personally I can’t detect much difference - like you John what I mainly like is the convenience aspect of salt pools! - you might well be right that a very carefully managed and frequently tested and adjusted chlorine pool could get similar reactions - but that just adds to the convenience point, doesn’t it?

Any views on an automatic PH sensor/regulator John, worthwhile or not?

IMO, not worth it for liner and glass fibre pools. Not really worth it for concrete and tiled pools. Really only commercial pools run according to the old regime.

If the pH keeps rising, examine the cause, usually too high on the alkalinity. Reject the standard guidance and listen to the modern peer reviewed data.
The risk with pH dosers is should a sensor fault occur, then a large quantity of acid can be dosed, just not worth the risk.
In my own pool zero pH- and other customers, less than a litre of pH- added per season.

That said the most important chemical in the pool is CYA stabiliser. That level is more important than pH.

Well yes of course - from pool suppliers you get what they want you to pay for! - and your quote from my post cunningly cut out the ‘genuinely disinterested comparisons’ bit!

Sadly Geoff the generally disinterested seem to believe the emperor has a new suit. What I see more is lazy journalism. A huge volume of incorrect information does not make fact.
I don’t have a bias either way, I have worked on many bad pools from all ways of sanitising.
I have demonstrated how in a hard water area the addition of a little chlorine makes the water feel softer. I have swam in loads of pools and cannot detect a difference between them except where the water is actually different hardness, alkalinity etc.
The therapy pools use very high concentration of salt and a lot of magnesium salt, this cannot be quantified in the same way as pool levels of salt.
Indeed after my burn accident years ago I was placed in salt baths but the concentration was near sea water levels.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice John.

Hi Gavin,

make sure that the quotes you get include the supply and installation of safety equipment (fencing, rigid cover, electronic alarms , there are several options) that complies with the French Norms. It can make a big difference to the cost.

I and many other mums had to sit in salt baths after giving birth.