(New) RoundUp and Alternatives

Seems Roundup is back in some stores selling at around €12.90 for 1.2L …

It no longer contains glyphosate, but acetic acid dosed at 6 percent.

White vinegar contains acetic acid ranging from 5 to 8 percent and sells for around € 1 per litre.

Just a thought…

1 Like

Just paying for the name stella.

1 Like

Exactly…

I think the sales of white vinegar might go through the roof… better snap up supplies swiftly… :wink: :smile:

I shall certainly be getting a few litres…

1 Like

White vinegar, whilst arguably more eco-friendly than glyphosate is a pretty poor weedkiller though, and I can’t help thinking that if people start pouring/spraying tons of the stuff onto their soils, we will end up with a situation arguably as bad as with glyphosate.

I shall be dabbing a concoction on weeds growing in the crevices around an old door… not going mad… :laughing:

but I do agree… anything… in excess… is not going to be too good… :zipper_mouth_face:

We can but hope that the “masses” with “common sense” by the ton will do the same…wait, what ?

We have used vinegar but we soon see the weeds returning, what do others recommend ?

did you use the mix vinegar/soap/salt ?? I’ve found that works as the soap makes the stuff stick on the leaves …

1 Like

Mixing sodium chloride, acetic acid solution and derivatized long chain fatty acids together - what could possibly go wrong ? :wink:

ha ha… only tiny quantities… got to do something and I got the recipe off an Environmental site so seemed reasonable… :grin: :grin:

mushroom_cloud_explosion

4 Likes

I do recall the odd happening in the science lab… during my misspent school days…

2 Likes

Not targeting you Stella, by any means. My aim is to raise awareness that homemade chemistry is still chemistry, with consequences. I imagine many people have absolutely no idea (nor do they care) how potentially liberal application of uncontrolled homemade concoctions can damage the environment.

I just watched a YouTube video of an American woman doing this at home with washing up liquid, and claiming it to be eco-friendly. What people forget is that the commercial cleaning products that they buy in supermarkets aren’t pure, they are literally a cocktail of chemicals, all finely balanced to produce a product with desired characteristics (from a marketing/technical/commercial perspective). Those chemicals include components such as antibacterials, e.g. triclosan, or benzylalkonium derivatives, as everyone seems to be paranoid about catching “germs” from surfaces (or at least they are made to feel that way by marketing campaigns). Using products like those in sprays, on top of the excess use we make of them in the home, can only increase the chemical load on the environment. I’m no eco-warrior by any means (having used 2,4-D when it was still available and some other unsavoury herbicides), but I do kind of take issue with this whole “homemade eco-culture” thing, where there are no trials to prove either efficacy or undesired impact on the environment.

1 Like

One of a series of detentions due to inappropriate use of nitric acid springs to mind, for me…

2 Likes

I agree. To my mind there is nothing “organic” “eco-friendly” about substituting one lot of chemicals for another even if the product sounds friendly (oh, vinegar, salt, must be alright) - worms, moths, spiders, beetles, frogs, toads, lizards will still die.
I’m a huge believer in letting the weeds stay. Strimming off the tops where they are not welcome and where absolutely necessary digging them out.
Leaving “weeds” in our garden means that I have field daisies, field poppies, nigella, bugle all in bloom right now. Never planted any of them. Just let them self-seed. And our dandelion field in March/April looks absolutely spectacular

4 Likes

this is excellent… I take no offence… I am all for a good discussion.

I had used what I thought was a reasonable alternative to the chemicals being bandied about by some unthinking folk.

Seems I might well have been just as bad (albeit unintentionally) … :upside_down_face: but I am prepared to listen (well, read…) and learn.

Let’s have all the ideas of what we can use… safely… please…

I have a particular spot which is unable to be hand-weeded… wooden surround to an old door… has the weeds growing in all the cracks… vertical and horizontal… so your ideas please… unable to use a tool to dig… as the cracks are too tiny… help!!

I honestly don’t think that there is an ideal alternative. The aim of using soap is to provide a better surface covering for the salt/vinegar mixture. If you can, try and use soaps that have the minimum of additives of any kind. That might require you using solid soap (or soap particles, if you can get them) and adding them as shavings or directly (in the case of particles) to your vinegar/salt mixture, with possibly a little careful warming (or heat from the sun) and light stirring to get the soap to dissolve.

thankfully I have the “good” soap at home…always prefer things to be as natural as possible.

We use no chemicals. In the potager and borders we use traditional practices - hoeing, hand-weeding, physical barriers, etc. We have a very big paved and graveled area (for our gites parking etc) in which we have adopted the ‘editing’ technique - taking out some weeds but leaving others - years of this have turned it into something akin to a hard-standing meadow, full of self-sown wild and garden flowers - aquilegias, lobelias, true geraniums, meadow cranesbill, forget-me-nots, wild strawberries, etc…

5 Likes

love it… and use a hoe myself to keep our graveled area weed-free but leaving some which are particularly pretty and the bees love 'em

but still need to keep the weeds out of the door-surround… the ants are making themselves at home in there as well… driving me mad…