(New) RoundUp and Alternatives

I use White Spirit which seems to work pretty well.

White spirit! That’s not very good for your soil, the surrounding environment. It is a contaminent and persistent in soil and is advised not to be released into the environment, particularly as it is toxic to the aquatic environment.

You really should not use that.

3 Likes

The names generally have to be as meaningless as possible in order to be distinctive, one of the key legal requirements for a trademark to be valid.
People do indeed get paid for thinking up new trademarks. I get paid (by my clients) for processing the trademark applications, otherwise defending them, and/or trying to convince them that the name they have come up with is a bad idea…

Unfortunately, there is the law, and then there are the nuances introduced by caselaw…

Advertising agencies are paid enormous sums of money for thinking these names up Mike - to be fair, it can be a complex business for international brands that might not quite work in every language…

Japanese companies seem to have a talent for product names that don’t travel.
In France, the Toyota MR2 gave people a good laugh.
In the UK, the Nikon FA wasn’t their greatest success, though the warning “Do not touch the flipping mirror.” was memorable.
Even our French friends sometimes fall into the trap of thinking English is easy, which explains how a sports shoe shop got named -

3 Likes

My sister once bought a little cafetière. It came with instructions in English. One of them stated simply, now upset the pot. We called it names and ignored it but it didn’t react.

3 Likes

Our courtyard and paths in the potager are just too big to hand weed.

The gas gun only works as a spot killer and even that does not get down to the roots.
Using gas is also not very environmentally friendly.
We will all have just to get used to the fact that we will no longer have gardens that look as though we care.

Mine too Jane…
I’ve convinced myself that the weeds provide shade / shelter for the green lizards…I feel less guilty, for my inactions

1 Like

Do you mean the little lizards or the big green ones with blue patches round their eyes?

Gas gun works fine for us - we have a driveway and gravelled paths round the house and gîte. One 13kg bottle lasts well over a year, which is far less than we use for cooking. What I’ve found isa quick “fry” regularly is best as easy to kill seedlings with pass of the gun. But once things are more established then less effective.

But I agree that we will have to adapt where we can, and a couple of areas around the edges I now leave and seed with things like aquilegia and verbena which will grow and flower without any attention of water. They look fine most of the time, and delightful when they flower.

We are invaded by much less attractive weeds. The fields surrounding us just want to reclaim their own!

We have both.
Didn’t see many green for a few years but now they seem to be making a return