New satellite, loss of channels

This sounds lame...but I dont think it can be cable....as its plugged in via the neufbox I guess we are streaming....does that sound about right?

Maybe one of those days then!!

I think I am Catharine as the first line of the message appears lol, mind you I can, t do anything right today lol

Jane - this may sound daft but are you sure you are pressing ADD REPLY?

(I have been known to fail to do this myself...!!)

Cx

Michael and Peter I had answered in more detail but my comments don, t seem to appear always !! I think the dish at the moment is aluminium, approx 90cm. I don, t know what the new one being proposed is as when I went into the shop they were mega busy. The technician is coming Thursday so I will discuss it in detail with him, find out what make etc etc. I think what I, m going to do is get him to realign the old one and make the the fixings are solid, if all programmes come back on I will stick with that for now. If in the future because of the satellite move our tv is affected then I will look into getting another one.. I will mention the one you mentioned to see if he knows it and what the price would be. I did think at the time she was trying it on with us. Hubby, s panicking he won, t have the world cup for Thursday lol . Our receiver that we have at the moment is a bit old and sometimes freezes, its a Newsat RN5001, must be about 10/11 yrs old now, same as dish. Thanks for your advice and I will let you know what happens

We are in our apartment in the Southern Languedoc, St Cyprien. We lost all UK tv programmes with our 80cm Sky dish months ago. Today we had a Mag250 box fitted. We no longer need the sky dish or box. We now have the equivalent of a smart tv, very similar to what we have in the UK and that also includes catchup tv and an internet browser. The Mag 250 box plugs into our neufbox. The cost of this was around 140 euros for the box....and around 14 euros a month for the service. Frankly it was worth it for the peace of mind. We have heard of one local lady who has purchased no less than 3 new dishes of increasing size, and she now is without tv again. The installer wont refund once a dish is fitted. Very happy with the service, it took all of 10 minutes for our guy to install.

Jane,

Like Peter I also wondered why you would need a new receiver.

In the past I have seen many large aluminium dishes which have been all but destroyed during storms..hit by flying objects etc..whereas steel dishes are more resiliant, and fibreglass dishes virtually indestructible,hence my question.I think you would need to establish whether the dish itself is still in good condition and whether the mounting bracket is still properly secured to wherever it is mounted..not so easy if it's out of reach..hence my other question..If all seems good then re-alignment of the dish would seem be required.

As a guide a 1.2m Channelmaster/Raven fibreglass dish can be bought in the UK for € 244 + delivery, and this is, in my opinion, the best 1.2m dish that money can buy..I have had one myself since 1994 and it is as good as new today. Other 1.2 m dishes, steel or aluminium can be bought for less but will be less rugged..

Hi Michael and Peter, I, d say the dish is approc 90cm, don, t know what it, s made of, sorry..metal

Jane - As well as the issues with the dish that Michael has already raised, what kind of new box is being proposed? What would it cost & why can't you use your existing receiver? This smells seriously of someone trying to take you to the cleaners, I'm afraid.

Jane,

You don't say what size dish you have,or what it's made of..but if your reception was good before the storm then it would seem that your dish moved out of alignment and / or could perhaps have become deformed. In any case You certainly shouldn't have to spend € 500 for a 1.2m dish. Is your dish easily accessible or high up somewhere ?

Woh all my comments didn, t appear. We live in between Nimes and Uzes and just untill approx 3 wks ago we had all channels perfectly. Then we were hit with terrible winds, rain etc and that blew our dish out of place..at least that, s what I think happened. Went to our local dish repairers in Montaren and of course they told me I had to replace my dish..system with a bigger one..1.2m This is what they ere doing for all their local English clients. The dish alone will cost 500e, that, s without setting it up and the new box that goes with it. Now this morning I had BBC South and ITV Channel Is perfectly. So, my question is, if it was a simple problem with the move of the satellite..surely I wouldn, t have these programmes from time to time ? Or would I ? Plus I think the price is way too high, with installation they said we, re looking at at least 7-800e. So as this topic has now become too technical for me lol, could someone that understands just tell me is it sure that I have to change my dish and do you think price is too high. Many thanks.

I, ve been following this discussion for ages now

SKY already has 6 transponders on UK spot beams....All 3 satellites E,F,G were ordered at the same time, so 2G is not an afterthought... 2F has been in service for about 18 months, and the launches of 2E & 2G have both suffered from delays. all 3 have identical UK spot beams in addition to other beams for Europe & west Africa..Don't forget that 4k or UHD services will also be transmitted from these 3 satellites in the not too distant future.Test transmissions of 4K can already be received from for example TVE on Hispasat at 33W and a French FTV channel FTV sport UHD1 can be found at 5W.... BBC will be experimenting with UHD transmissions from the Brazil world cup, although there will be no public transmissions from the BBC.Certain matches will be recorded in UHD...

PS. UHD = Ultra High definition (with twice the resolution of HD )

One of the major drivers for the launch of Astra 2G is that Astra 2A must be nearing the end of its operational life. It was launched in 1998, with an expected operational life of 15 years, though this might have been a bit on the conservative side. (Satellite lifetimes are based on estimated usage & how much station-keeping fuel they are launched with. No-one is yet running a fuel filling service for satellites in orbit!)

Although disruption isn't obligatory, some will probably happen, though perhaps to a lesser degree than was the case for many people last February. Almost all of the channels transmitted from 2A are encrypted Sky channels, so people with Free-to-Air (Freesat) systems are likely to be more-or-less untouched unless Astra start to play again by moving channels from the recently operational 2E across to the new 2G. It seems much more likely that they'll start by transferring all the 2A channels across to 2G & leave the FreeSat stuff alone.

OTOH, if you're paying for Sky, there is a distinct possibility that some of the programmes may be moved to a more restrictive footprint, especially if particular rights holders have been giving Sky a hard time. I can't see, all the same, that 2G has a more restrictive beam than is already being used for the Freesat channels. This essentially indicates that if you're currently getting BBC/ITV, perhaps with a new bigger dish, you're unlikely to notice any changes arising from the new satellite. This wouldn't necessarily be the same for those, e.g. in Spain, who can still get some Sky programming but can't get BBC/ITV any more.

The launch of Astra 2G is probably what is being referred to. 2G will join 2E & 2F at 28.2E to provide additional capacity and will be virtually identical to 2E & 2F.estimated launch Sept 2014 :

An International Launch Services Proton rocket with a Breeze M upper stage will deploy the ASTRA 2G communications satellite for SES of Luxembourg. ASTRA 2G will deliver next generation broadcast, VSAT and broadband services in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Delayed from May and June.

Hi John

It is my understanding that Sky have to move to the new satellite soon and this maybe what you have heard. What this will do to us is I do not know though my "installer" said I would be OK wiht my new 1 meter dish.

Peter S

Heard on another group today there are further changes in August/ September can anyone confirm deny or elaborate

Michael, I can't look at this this evening but many thanks for your input.

I'll spend a little time on it tomorrow!

Peter, Thanks for the comment but little effort required...I'm some way west of the line and not much further north than Celia and 80x90 works for me with up to 10dB of headroom depending which LNB I use !

Michael - A great map. Many thanks for the effort in producing it. The blue line appears to pass right over my house, which probably explains why I'm still getting away with a 60cm antenna! The side lobes diagram is also fun.

It does seem pretty clear, though, that Celia's suppliers are trying to take her for a ride. I'd love to check out their link-budget calculations.