New Sofa - where to buy?

We are needing to get a new sofa - any suggestions where to buy from. I know where I would buy in UK (probably M&S) - but I am unsure where to buy in France.

Chateau D’Ax in Merignac are currently doing deals - here’s the link

https://www.chateau-dax.fr/nos-destockages/?1&idmag=1392

Or on a more friendly budget try Conforama or But in the Rives d’Arcins shopping centre in Begles or alternatively in Libourne. They have a large selection sometimes good promotions too.

Great sofa’s at Poltronesofa - Shops in Merignac and Bordeaux Lac - good promotion at the moment - here’s the link - https://www.poltronesofa.com/fr-FR/Promotions

Hope this helps Mat

It’s no cheaper than buying a new one, but have you thought about getting your existing one reupholstered? Means you can get a much wider choice of fabric.

Ikea, they have a wide selection. We like the Ektorp range (and so do our guests)

1 Like

We have an Ektorp for our gite - very comfy but fairly chunky and therefore not too elegant. Hopefully trying to get a balance of elegance and comfort but also in a small space - possibly impossible.

Chunky in a sofa is good. Nothing worse than thin arms, spindly legs and a narrow low back that gives you no support!

I’d second BUT - but depends on your style. IKEA are fine. Conforama can be okay as well - like BUT but worse. Then there’s the indie Meubles - that’s always illuminating… the land style forgot at daft prices -like Grandma met Trump and set up a design company

2 Likes

Hi

Would this sofa or suite be of any interest to you? The price is €40. In excellent condition and spotlessly clean having been in our hardly used flat for family.
I am in Les Junies(46150) It could be worth a visit. Have a look.

https://www.leboncoin.fr/ameublement/1748750593.htm/

JDB.

Slightly off topic - how do you pronounce BUT, “t” or not? (I think it is sounded but not sure).

I was told it’s " Boot"

BĂĽt
You are right, the T is sounded.

I got a good deal at Conforama last year, nice L shaped sofa with free delivery thrown in.

Lovely comfy looking furniture, and great value at the price, but not really a sofa to sink into and be swallowed up in?

Alinea - that’s the place who’s name escaped me. Some of their stuff is nice.

2 Likes

went there yesterday- nice furniture. some retro, some chunky. a little upmarket from Ikea. still prefer heals.

But rather different price range!

Yes unfortunately Heals is rather pricey.
I second having an old comfy sofa recovered, at least one can specify the fabric and 'softness of seating etc.
We did and found prices comparable to buying IKEA…

Try Maison du Monde they are in Uk as well and deliver both in UK and France. Nice different designs than either Conforama or But.

We looked extensively in France for new settee and arm chair but the style and comfort did not suit our expectations.
On a trip to england we set aside 3 days of intense searching for what we were looking for after first doing a detailed survey on line. We thought that what we wanted didn’t exist and then walked into Barker and Stonehouse.
It took all of 15 minutes to agree a purchase of 2 settees and an armchair with the choice of colour and leather quality at our disposal, and more by luck than judgement it was sale time.
Our furniture was to be made in Italy with a 10 week wait and then the fun started.
B & S had no facility for delivery to France so we suggested that the suit when ready could be delivered direct from Italy to France but sadly that was not possible but we were advised that they could deliver anywhere in the UK within the price.
Our furniture arrived from Italy 10 weeks later to Newcastle and then sent to the shops regional distribution centre in the Midlands.
Meanwhile we had contracted a company to deliver our goods to France at a cost of ÂŁ400. They were based in Suffolk and it was to there where B & S delivered from the midlands. 2 weeks later we took delivery here at home and we have been thrilled with our purchase for 2 years now.
With the discount given in the shop sale this more than covered the delivery to France and we got exactly what we wanted.
Well travelled furniture with very happy owners.

Such a shame you couldn’t get it direct from Italy - seems so daft!

2 Likes