New Speed/Traffic cameras

A video showing the new cameras being rolled out in France, according to the press 400 this year and over a thousand next.

It’s a three minute video but if they do all this it’s like a science fiction film.

It will be a money generating scheme and unfortunately will do little to modify driver behaviour.

If we have speed limiting cars, these cameras will spot people using their 'phones, not wearing seat belts and tailgating.
I remember back in the day when there was a 50 mike speed limit in UK and accidents occurred because of ‘bunching’.
No speeding fines, will they put up the price of parking to keep their income stream?

Hah, when they enable that tailgating detection, I think they’ll run out of paper to print tickets on in the first day. Show me a Frenchman (or woman) who doesn’t tailgate…

4 Likes

People used to say the same about seat-belts and breathalyzing. They were wrong.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see how much the driver will be involved in moving a car in 10 years time. Teslas already effectively drive themselves under certain conditions. There have been problems with this which I am sure are continually being improved.

Given the number of cars using the likes of Google Maps, Waze and hands free devices, how will the new generation cameras distinguish between lawful and unlawful use of mobile devices?

It is obvious isn’t it? - by the over use of smileys! :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::thinking::thinking::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

The cameras will just count the number on screen and anymore than 1 is breaking the law!

1 Like

Wonder if it can ‘note’ all those pratts who leave it to the last minute to get in lane before roadworks? So frustrating when there is plenty of advanced warning that a lane will be closed and cars push in at the very last second !

Edited to say that I have just seen I have a slice of cake…will be having it later this morning with a brew :wink:

1 Like

Is it a special cake worthy day?

Apparently it’s the anniversary of me joining this site :champagne::cocktail:

1 Like

Hope you have lots of SFUN on your special cakeday, Ann! :kissing_smiling_eyes::kissing_smiling_eyes:bisous

Actually Ann, and without looking to cause controversy, it is advised in the Highway Code Rule 134:

Rule 134

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

So, merging in turn is not ‘pushing in’ and, when done properly and courteously, can benefit traffic flow.

C

1 Like

I’ll re-iterate my tailgating comment but I’ve yet to see a Frenchman (or woman) courteously merge. Or allow others to merge.

1 Like

You took the words out of my mouth Ben … merging = leaving it until the last second and then forcing your way in ! Courteous, mon cul ! :wink:

Ah well… The national traits of drivers cannot be regulated for…

Hands at 10h00 and 2h00 on the wheel, with eyes straight ahead on the road, like it says in the code de route. Anything else, in the strictest interpretation of the law, is in violation.
With the diesel fuel tax off the table, Macaroon is going to get his pound of flesh one way or another.

Oh, those halcyon days of driving,…

Too much automation is not necessarily a good thing.
Boeing make planes that effectively fly themselves ------- into the ground !!!