New System of household recycling (no more sac jaune...)

in the dead of night? :thinking: :slightly_smiling_face:

just as well you didn’t end your sentence there :wink:

1 Like

I should add… the local cantonnier is quite happy for us to pop stuff beside the bin.

He used to have to sort through the soil/plants to retrieve the “naughty bits”… so he’s pleased to have our help.

Generally early evening, before the inmates are awake… :rofl: :rofl:

We’ve never had 'em.

Many years ago, we (the whole commune) were given grey, plastic boxes (very sturdy with interlocking lid) for the weekly door-to-door collection of recyclable stuff. The box would be left outdoors once a week… emptied by the recycling team… and the householder would refill it as and when.

That was then discontinued and yellow plastic sacks were provided… and the entire sack was collected… also door to door…

This then moved on…
giant bins on both sides of the village, into which the entire village/anyone could throw the full sacks … while retaining door-to-door for those living outside the village envelope.

Now all of the door-to-door collections are being discontinued… and the entire, wide-spread commune has been allocated just 7 “bin” points…
to which folk must take their recyclable stuff… and, of course, their black sacks.

Usually because stupid people in the employ of local councils etc everywhere believe that thier new system will work flawlessly, which of course it doesnt because some people just cant be bothered.

I was alway impressed with the dechetterie system of old as I saw no fly tipping and not much rubbish lying around. Now France is heading on the same path as other countries they will get the same result.

1 Like

The dechetterie system is great… that remains unchanged.

This new system for household recycling and waste/rubbish… is across the whole department… and there have been protests/marches/whatever going on for months.

Maybe down your way but we now have entry permits and only a number of visits per season etc. The beginning of a decline. Getting rid of any rubbish in the appropriate place is the best solution, any restriction to that will spell more dumped rubbish.

1 Like

We actually have a bin collection once a week. They gave us two bins one with a brown lid for teal rubbish a d one with a yellow lid for all our “recycling”. We prefer to divid it up in to glass, cardboard, plastics, etc. in boxes in the garage and hit the big recycling bins about 2km from is once a week.

Having said that, I don’t really support the concept of consumer recycling. Rather than millions of us diligently dividing stuff up why can’t the manufactures and suppliers provide more appropriate packaging. better that Carrefour does it than 20,000,000 of us. No?

2 Likes

Ah… we’ve been assured that dechetterie use will be unchanged… but who knows.

The latest stuff is a far cry from what was officially proposed and discussed at Public meetings I’ve attended over recent years.

It’s a long journey… getting anything done “properly”. Producers are working on doing things better… it all takes time.

at the moment my black sack is minimal… and yellow sack seems enormous in comparison.

I’d like to see both, minimal… I’m buying less and less stuff in packaging… when I can.

1 Like

Moving to a Brita water filter for our still water has made a big difference.

4 Likes

I know Brits who live nearer the chateau d’eau… they reckon they can’t stand the chlorine (or whatever).

Seems I’m fortunate… by the time it hits our village house, the tap water is fine for drinking as far as I’m concerned…
yet, a French neighbour just a few yards up the road… she insists on only drinking bottled water.

it takes all sorts… of course…

We have always had to use the roadside bins.
There is one not far from us on the D17 where we put our black household rubbish and the other for cardboard and tins.
We have to drive further down the D17 to dispose of bottles and paper.

It shouldn’t and it wouldn’t if it was mandated with off the shelves in 6 months if you dont.

I listened to LBC radio over here with the president of the packaging industry, not a single bit of sensible coherence came out of their mouths.
Its excuse after excuse, same as where I worked, changed things for the better (of the company and the planet) but some are just frightened by activity. They prefer to attend meetings (often to scive out of work) and vitue signal for years. People like me come along and implement changes that the company hasnt managed in 15 years inside 6 months. Oh but the company has paid many thousands of pounds to consultants to make it looklike they are actually doing something.

We had a wonderful system with a small wheelie bin for black bags and we would place our yellow bags on top. Once a week it would be collected.

For over a year now we have had those huge god awful things. Yes it is great they can now recycle everything how ever I have nothing else positive to say.

Instead of one truck going around once a week there are thousands of us driving to the bins (yes a few are close enough to walk but large majority have to drive). Our previously very pretty entries to the village are now blighted by the eyesore, often they are full / have bags dumped on or next too, made worse in summer with tourists who don’t have a card to open the black bins. Of course this brings vermin etc.

I have a family so for me it is a nightmare as we fill up our bin so quickly and it is so ugly in the kitchen.

To make things worse our yearly bill has doubled from what it was to have collection. It makes me so mad. AND we dont’ use anywhere near the black openings we have been allocated and I bet we don’t get a reduction! We do our best with compost / chooks / woodburner so have hardly anything.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Had the yellow wheelie bins (2 large for 8 households) for some years now, though I do notice some yellow bags placed on top of the black wheelies.

When the system first came in the lady from Sitcom (that’s what we call them anyway :roll_eyes:) visited us with a large carrier bag, with all the correct stuff pictured on it, to carry to the bins not far away.

But I did put the ‘wrong’ kind of plastic in once (bits of a broken chair) and the driver scattered it all over the road. :rage:

1 Like

Stopping the majority of this at source would be far better. I have unwrapped things in shops and handed the ridiculous amount of packaging back.
Oh and that rich bloke Bezos, you know the first bloke to put a manned dildo in space, should take their packaging back with them in the vans they deliver it in.

That I could cope with, it is the ridiculous ‘no bags’ thing, as everyone is trying to tip all their recycling into the bin inevitably allowing small things to blow off. As a result the area around the bins in gross as well :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

This thread would be more useful if contributors put their code postale in their posts.

In rural parts of 14500 we have had a “kerbside” recycling collection (sac jaune) since January 2020, which is weekly, along with the sac noir. The local contractor uses a split collection truck. For us “kerbside” is 500m away at the nearest point that the truck can turn around on a public way, despite having ample solid space on our (private but ungated) land.
Prior to that only the towns & village centres had such a collection. We had to deal with weekly sac noir collection from communual bins (ours was 1,1km away at the end of our access road) & recycling had to be taken to the local décheterrie, or deposited in the various communual bins dotted around the place. For us all those actions required the use of a car.

I believe that the “powers that be” feel that folk in the countryside use a car from time to time and can therefore take their sacks with them… not necessarily making a special journey.

Of course, it works for some folk… and not for others…