New System of household recycling (no more sac jaune...)

Anyone out there using the “new” system of putting recycling household stuff in the bins … “loose”… rather than chucking in the full sac jaunes, as per the old system ???

We have always put ours in loose (Lot et Garonne)

My solution is I have set up a used builders dump bag, the large ones that hold a tonne of sand, in my barn and each time the house bin for recycling is full I tip it into the dummy bag. When full I take it to the village submerged bin with yellow lid and tip the dumpy bag contents in.
The Mairie did give us an oversized life bag for the same purpose but would have been visiting the village disposal bin every other week!
Household waste in now a whole new ball came.
We have set up a compost bin at the bottom of the garden so doing our bit.
I think we will get our smart card soon for access to the ultimate dechettes bin which is currently free to use but the new bins are all set up for the new system.
Yes tax hab has all but gone but the household waste part of it is set to return very soon!

We have had that system for about six months and it works fine. Recyclable stuff is collected every two weeks.

We put in the full sack, I have not seen anything to the contrary :thinking: Yellow sacks are still provided by the mairie.

Ours has always been loose…

still sacs jaune here in 16 but we did “encourage” Calitem through the Mairie to provide 2 large wheeled bins for the 5 houses in our lieu-dit to use for jaunes and noirs. We still use the sacs to convey them the short distance to the bin store but at least the operatives don’t have to handle them and they are protected from the local fox population which was becoming an issue, them tearing the bags open and spilling the contents across the carriageway.

1 Like

@Stella Ah, just realised, you still have communal bins. We have individual bins - every household - and we have been told to put everything in loose from the word go - easier for sorting.

Household bins? What luxury!

3 Likes

Ah… you have a submerged bin… our commune if getting semi-submerged bins.

We’ve been told that it will not be possible to simply empty the sac (whatever sac) but that everything for recycling must be put in individually… :roll_eyes: piece by piece…

Just trying to find out how folk are coping elsewhere.

There was nearly a riot here, yesterday, when this was being discussed/explained to a small group of residents. (well-spaced and masked… and rather upset/angry)

I have perhaps misled with stating a submerged bin.
@Stella, ours in the village are effetively large round semi submerged bins with the vast majority of the bin being submerged, not like those in some towns/cities that are totalle submerged. We have had these for 2/3 years now and are very useful however for the less mobile individual it does place an unfair ownus on them to dispose of thier rubbish now that door to door collections no longer exist. Of course being France where life seems to be much more ‘help your nieghbour’ there is usually someone at hand to assist.
I spoke to our Mairie and as I understand it there is a form you can submit explaning any genuine difficulties and there are systems in place to insure an individual is catered for.
Change in systems invariably creates vocal objection for which France are experts!
The new system will sort itself out and we will have to get used to it, I think its a case of ‘like it or lump it’ , or on the other hand is it just a load of rubbish!!

2 Likes

I know its not maybe relevant but in the UK ours is collected each week as packaging amount is way more than non recyclable. Could also be a struggle for those renting.

What it heaven’s name is the difference between upending your bag over the opening and letting things fall in, and taking them out of your bag piece by piece?

1 Like

Seems the opening of the proposed bins is deliberately too small to allow the bags to be emptied directly.

Yes, I know… sounds very odd to me, but … folk will have to get their hands dirty… since we are told NOT to wash stuff before recycling… and it’s a long walk to the bins … so not feasible to empty something and then “pop it straight into the bin”

Starting September, stuff to be recycled will hang around the house/garden/wherever until one passes the nearest bin
(many folk in our commune will not be within walking distance and will need to use the car - if they’ve got one - or rely on friends)

I can understand the uproar here…

2 Likes

I can only think that the reason for this is to ensure, so far as is possible, that people don’t “inadvertently” tip incorrect items in to an incorrect bin having forgotten what they put in the bag in the first place :thinking:

It was certainly mentioned that folk would have to stop and think… :wink:

1 Like

Comes back to my argument from a year or more ago that the colour of the plastic should denote its type thus making automatic sorting really easy.
Food companies given 6 months to change or their products off the shelves.

Sadly, for some folk “really easy” is how they deal with things anyway…

• “I’ll throw it away where/how is most convenient for me…”

In recent years our recycling centre is able to handle all (empty) plastic and plastic coverings, so folk don’t have to differentiate… other than NOT to put it into black sacks.

In northern Lot we have always had big communal bins, green for recyclable cardboard, plastic etc (not in bags), brown for non-recyclable stuff (must be in bin bags). The reason for having recyclable stuff loose is so that it can be sorted more easily at the centre de tri.

2 Likes

At the cemetery… there is a large, open, wooden container into which folk are invited to throw dead plants/potting compost.

It is clearly marked NO plastic or anything uncompostable…

On our regular visits (it’s a lovely walk)… we pull out the plastic flowers/plastic pots/glass/whatever… and leave it on the ground.
If it’s not raining, we take the glass with us and chuck it into the appropriate “glass” container, which is only 200 metres further along the road…

No idea why folk have to be so xxxxxx lazy/stupid.

4 Likes