New to finisterre (and to log burners!)

Thanks for your advice. We have managed to find a local wood supplier who will come to our house and advise on the size of logs we need. We also have a Godin but we haven't an idea of its size so his visit will be very welcome. We'd like to store a corde or two but we have very little convenient space, although we could use our carport as it's too short for the car!

Quite right, John, that is what we intend to do, with the proviso that our intention is to spend the time in France as residents for part of the year, enjoying the area, the food (and wine), the culture and hopefully making friends with both nationalities. We would even like to learn to speak Breton!

Regards

Bob

One or two people on this site can only see situations from their point of view. You have made it clear that you still have many ties to the UK but are planning to make the most of your holiday home in France. Enjoy it, it’s a great thing to have.

Hi John

Research, research, research............that's all I seem to be doing these days, 99% of it on the net. Looking forward to it being unavailable soon!

Bob

It would appear that Bob has done his research.

Yes Bob I know :-) As a heads-up.... the amount of time spent in a country is not the only measure used to establish residency and it is seldom the sole one. For example, you could spend considerably less than 50% of your time in France and still be viewed by the tax authorities as being resident. As you say - lot's of info online......

Hi Simon

It's just a little lighthearted play on the rules for residency in a country for tax purposes. There's lots of information on this on the UK government website. It can be quite tricky when you spend part of the year in the UK and part abroad.

Best wishes, Bob

Your post immediately reminded me of the holidays we used to spend in France under canvas with Eurocamp or Canvas Holidays when our daughter was young. She counted the number of times we had to unzip and zip up the sleeping bags, bedroom compartments, the tent, if we went to the loo in the night. As we were concerned about bugs getting in, we were very meticulous with this procedure and it came to 28. Had we all gone separately, it would have totalled more!

We don't have wallpaper and hope that the wind is not strong enough to strip the paint. Anyway, I note that the temperature around Brest and Morlaix at the moment is about 15C and it's well past 1st October. So when does winter really start?

If that relates to time spent in France and the application of income tax in France it may not be relevant. You need to be careful as while the UK wraps most tax up into income tax in France they have several other sting in the tail taxes which are applied and are called CSG. These may be applied depending on your income on top and could add over 13% to your tax bill in France. And don't forget that they also have a wealth tax which can also be applied under some circumstances to UK assets. Advice needs to be taken. It might become easier if the left loses the next election.

Our internet speed is MEANT to be 20Mbs but is 2. The Mayor when asked said he thought it was fine. They relish being the third poorest commune in Finistere so they get more subsidies. Only 1/3 of households pay any income tax.

Rememeber it takes quite a lot of time to open and shut shutters of the manual type. We have 13 windows equals 26 shutters that's 56 a day times 7 and so on. Also when you do it unless you have the automatic sort you have to open all the windows to let the heat out and when it's blowing a gale, which it frequently is up in Scrignac, you lose all the heat in a few seconds!!!!!! With us if the front and back doors are open at the same time the interior wind speed is such that any wall paper would be stripped in a few seconds. BTW avoid wallpaper as walls need to breathe. There has to be an air lock type procedure. Avoid open plan. Wear more clothes. Vist Damart on line. Don't be worried about looking like an SDF as most people do. Forget the UK idea of walking round the house in slippers and tee shirst. Winter starts 1 October and finishes 31 March. Don't plant your sensitive plants until very late April. Buy candles for power cuts. Buy voltage surge protectors for any expensive kit. It's a good idea to have standby electrical supplies. Ay it's going to be tough!

Bob - sorry I can't help you with shutters or logs in your area and, as for who to support in the RWC - support whoever you want to (!), however....I am curious....what's the significance of the 49.999% thing you have going on?

It's quite surprising how much wood you will actually need!......stock as much as you can afford in case........what you don't burn this winter will keep til next year.........if you know the make and model of your stove, you can look online, and it will tell you the size log..........we have a godin 8 kW output, we have a petite maison lol, which takes 40cm logs.

Thanks Dolores. I sent a few emails today and managed to find a local supplier who will come over first and check what size of logs we need, which is a great help. We hope we will not get a very cold winter, but just in case................!

Thanks for your good wishes. So far, we have been, much of it has been due to not having access to the internet installed in the house and the pull it exerts to check emails, etc. We can go on line easily with our laptops in Huelgoat or in LeClerc in Carhaix.

Best wishes

Bob

Thanks, David, for the information and it was good hearing from you. We actually looked at a house in Scrignac in March but decided it was not for us.

We are going to look at a couple of Volet suppliers in Brest when we are over in a couple of weeks. We'd like to have some tri-fold narrow aluminium ones installed inside the external window recess (thick walls) and leave the existing wooden shutters in place (just for effect!). We understand from our insurers that the shutters have to be closed if the we are away overnight. They also do not not require them to conform to any standard. However, we'll check with the Mairie in Huelgoat to see if we need their approval.

We contacted a local resident today and he confirmed the €200 a corde price for logs and said that the supplier would come over first to check the size we need. We have a chain saw that the previous owner left but I have been warned against using it at my age. Mentally, I am 32 (can't say 21 any more) but my body tells me that I am not "not young and fit". My birth certificate will confirm that. We had the chimney swept a month or so ago by a certified ramoneur and have an invoice. All above board!

With regard to the French tax system, we'll have to be careful about that. Don't want to be worse off.

I looked online for logs and found a local forestry listed. I took our trailer and they filled it with ready cut logs, sold by the Stere.which is a cubic metre......they offered a free delivery service for orders of four steres plus.....they charge €57 per Stere. Just check what length logs your poele takes , having them ready cut saves so much time!.....hope this helps.....and be happy in your new home.

By the time I read your post the last question was obsolete! I live in Scrignac which is only about 15 minutes from you.

Volets- the choice is basically plastic or timber. The former can be obtained in traditional designs and are much easier to maintain, but not exactly gree. Do you aim to use your shutters every night or just when away. Most locals have motorised shutters installed but they are ugly and not encouraged in the national park in which you live. You can find companies easily in Carhaix or Mprlaix but beware of hard sales techniques. Permanent residents enrolled in the French tax system (and at your stated % of time in France that may include you) may be eligible for tax rebates.

Logs - best to speak to locals. Should cost about 200 euros a corde but check the length and the quality (including dryness). Do not burn green or wet timber and avoid pine. You are meant to have your chimney swept by a certified person every year. Maybe conside burning artificial logs made from recyled wood chips. Maybe consider installing a wood pellet burner. In house not occupied for long periods best to consider installing dehumidifiers as Breton houses (especially old ones) do need constant air chages. The old peasants used to keep their fires burning slowly all year. Most log suppliers will deliver included in the price but you will have to stack. Depends on how young and fit you are!

There are plenty of Brits to give you information in Huelgoat. First stop David Neal in the Brittany Bar in the main square- where you can watch the rugby too! You can find me in the Scrignac telephone directory if you have any problems! You will be on a steep learning curve!