New to me Sun burnt Tomatoes

I have grown tomatoes in a French garden since 1996 this year most fruit have been burnt by the sun on their south western side a bit of a surprise but still happy to cut that bit off. What has surprised me is the tomato seeds have germinated in the hot flesh internally completely white and an inch long, still eat them though

More Tomato Problems!!

Anyone know what is doing this —
Mice? Birds?
And how to stop it would be useful!
Many thanks

Ragondin (Coypu)???

Yes, and anything else that is suffering from lack of water at the moment. Try putting saucers around and keep them filled with water. Put the saucers at different heights and ideally sheltered from raptors hunting overhead.

2 Likes

Thanks Sue, Will do that immediately & see what happens. We’ve got lots of water out for the birds round the house, plus food as the ground is so solid. The veg however is quite a way from the house so we should be able to tell if this is the problem fairly soon!
regards

1 Like

Good luck.

Just picked our first crop of tomatoes mainly cherry and very tasty too. We only have ten plants picked out at random from the local garden centre and they are very healthy so far. We love fresh tomatoes of any kind so will plant a lot more next year. But I’d really like to know which varieties to look out for next year, we’re in the Charente area.

We stopped growing them because of the rampant blight around here but, if you want quite a few, they are really easy to grow from seed and the seeds keep from year to year if kept cool.

Do you know which varieties you have actually bought? You can’t beat a taste test!

We only grow them as they seem so easy to grow in this climate we certainly wouldn’t bother with them if they had blight. We don’t bother growing any other vegetables. But I 'd like to make us self sufficient from June onwards as far as possible
So we need to do a bit of research and find the best early and later varieties. We used to grow bush tomatoes in the UK but I don’t think they’d suit this climate