New Year - New Members

(Helen Aurelius-Haddock) #1

Happy New Year to one and all on Food Lovers!

The post-Christmas period is a good time to start afresh on new recipe ideas for the family.

I have thankfully used up all the "Christmassy" food, save for the odd mince pie, which I eat year round anyway, so I am getting well and truly stuck in on the new eats in January.

I realised over the Yuletide, that I eat far less meat than I used to, and found having a 6 kilo turkey and enormous ham a bit of a challenge to get through, despite the usual stream of visitors.

Today has been a bit of a mop up on the food front, and Eve and I are using up our remaining supplies before the shops open again tomorrow.

She has just treated me to a cheese omelette with noodles doused in balsamic vinegar and cheddar cheese - quite an unusual combo, but it was rather tasty!

I think I am going to concoct a Stilton and Potato Soup for supper, and use up our pain au maïs as toasted croutons - never, ever waste anything if possible - so many people in the world go hungry.

So, if you are a member, please start posting what's happening on your foodie home front, and if you are not, please join us!

Best wishes

Helen

ps - please take a look at my blog http://haddockinthekitchen.wordpress.com/ if you get a moment and join my Haddock in the Kitchen Facebook page. Loads of tips, recipes and the odd bit of ranting!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1043157920#!/pages/Haddock-in-the-Kitchen/138577096160082

(Sarah Beattie) #2

Oh I love thick soups too - particularly Thai Pumpkin or Chestnut, Mushroom & Red Wine or Pineau but post-overindulgence clear and aromatic does it for me! Celeriac I make as a bouillon sometimes with Five Spice or sometimes with Allspice and alternatively I make a thick creamy Sage & Celeriac potage (might add apple or pear and serve with some roquefort....)

As for french veg stock alternatives - I have yet to find one. Most are too full of peppers Capsicum not black!

(Helen Aurelius-Haddock) #3

I have to admit to making soups that are on the thick side - my brother in law refers to having "a slice of soup" when he eats it, so I guess you can get the picture.

I use the organic Marigold veg stock, which is good, but I have yet to find a good French alternative that isn't so heavily laced with salt. Any ideas?

(Sarah Beattie) #4

Ah well - that would depend on time allowed! If needing an ultra clear soup (never bother for just us) I would very very slowly brown onions, carrots, celery or celeriac, leek tops, herbs, bay, peppercorns etc in a little oil. Add cold water, bring to the boil and simmer a long time. Then strain through a fine sieve, then whisk through an egg white and strain again. In a hurry I would resort to concentrated vegetable liquid bouillion - not Marco Pierre White’s stock pot things (don’t like them at all) but the stuff in the little brown bottles. Useful in a hurry. You can make the soups with just water but you get better depth of flavour if you use stock.

(Helen Aurelius-Haddock) #5

Sounds super-healthy!

I think the repetition of stylised Christmas food can really stilt the taste buds - citrus will really bring things alive I feel. Even a simple squeeze of lemon on a modest green salad will add an extra dimension of flavour to the plate.

For your clear soups Sarah, how do you make your stock?

(Sarah Beattie) #6

Hi Helen

After Christmas and New Year, I get cravings for loads of fresh juicy salads (perverse mid-winter but use citrus -lime, orangle, grapefruit, lemon etc- with celery, celeriac, chicory, dark leaves like rocket or mache and sucrine lettuces, pomegrantes and cucumber) and clear aromatic soups (Carrot Orange & Ginger, Thai Hot & Sour and Beetroot & Cranberry). I suppose it's a sort of detox but not so drastic......

Happy New Year!

Sarah