Newby here! Hello My name is Gary

Hi all I have just joined and wanted to say hello. I have a small home close to La Chatre in Indre. I live alone and I am learning French but struggling. I am retired from working in the UK TV and film industry.

I don’t know anyone here in France so I hope to make friends on this forum hopefully. I will be needing advice on regestering a car here in france from the UK and when my retirement officially kicks in how to get French health cover (is it called and S1 or something?)

I have managed to get my French residency permit all on my own thanks to another website called the franco british network and a bank account in france thanks to advice from a english speaking property agent who told me about a british bank manager with a local bank, but its a long way from where my house is!

anyway I hope you will welcome me to the forum and thank you for all the informative posts I have already lokked at.

Cheers Gary.

4 Likes

Hello Gary and welcome.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

2 Likes

Well done on your retirement/escape Gary :slightly_smiling_face: You’ll be well looked after here.

2 Likes

Hello and bienvenue Gary!

2 Likes

Welcome Gary

2 Likes

Hello Gary and welcome. This place is a font of useful information. Glad you’ve already found some useful stuff.

2 Likes

Welcome to the site… and Joyeux Noël.

2 Likes

Seconded!

Welcome, Gary. Surfing the site you will see loads of helpful advice and friendly people. Never hesitate to ask!

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi Gary, welcome to SF.

2 Likes

I did this earlier this year - I detailed it here:

4 Likes

Hi Gary, Hope you find SF not only useful but also a fun place to be…

1 Like

If we do not know the answer, we will know a man or woman who does

3 Likes

And, failing that, there’s always the swingers’ thread …

2 Likes

I did notice and read that thread and wondered if that could be a good way of meeting people in France!!

2 Likes

Hello @GaryC and welcome to the forum.

I expect there will be all sorts of associations and events going-on around you.
Info is usually available from Tourist Offices and/or Mairies.
Joining something is an excellent way to get to know people and, of course, helps improve language skills. Don’t feel shy…

Volunteering is another route… always seem to be more hands needed than are available.
Check out your local Press or ask neighbours.
Perhaps there is a bulletin/booklet issued with local info…

Whatever, the fun is in the finding out…

best of luck.

1 Like

Thank you Stella,
Great ideas especially the Marie and tourist offices there is on in La Chatre, I will visit in the new year.

Have a great day and an excellent Christmas/Holidays

1 Like

Gary, welcome. You are indeed in good hands on this forum. I have benefitted enormously from the breadth and depth of experience and knowledge of the contributors. There really isn’t ANYTHING that someone - or several people - have not been through/know about/used to earn a living doing/have just saved a packet on …

Whatever it is that you need help with, trawl the topics or ask outright.

As far as getting FR reg on a car, there was a guy called Mark Rimmer on this forum, now departed, who was in the business of doing just that, for very reasonable cost - in my case £40.

He is a garagiste so may well still be doing registrations. If you PM me I will give you his email address. It can be done DIY and many of the more experienced/fluent on SF do so but for a new arrival, having Mark do it was something I then didn’t have to think/worry about any more.

3 Likes

Crikey Mr @GaryC you seem to have done quite well so far and taking French lessons is certainly going to help with the integration into French life !!
What was the inspiration to move here from UK??
Not sure if we have much good advice for the future but happy to help where we can.

1 Like

He’s on Facebook