NHS’s battleplan

So the NHS are asking those who have left or retired to get back to work - pronto.

“ The appeal, from their professional bodies - the Nursing and Midwifery Council and the General Medical Council - will go to 50,000 nurses and 15,500 doctors who have left the NHS in the last three years, asking them to re-register.”

Am I the only person who suspects that quite a large percentage might just have ‘gone back home’ as per your average Brexiteer’s wishes…

8 Likes

I thought it was announced weeks ago that retired nurses and doctors were returning.
So apparently they haven’t even been asked yet!

1 Like

I kept up my nursing registration/licence to practice to age 77, but I reckon it’s too late now to go back to the wards, even if asked as a last ditch favour by Hancock on his bended knees. I expect all your jaws will drop and knees knock at the prospect of my gnarled fingers on your tremulous pulse… :hot_face: :scream::joy:

4 Likes

Will they be charged to re-register>

Will the Registrar of the Nursing and Midwifery Council appreciate a poke in the eye :eye: with a sharp stick? :hugs:

It must have been in one of their plans for discussion!

Wouldn’t you if you felt not wanted and, more practically, the exchange rate for sending money back home made it less profitable.
What about all those doctors and nurses who went to Australia because they were actually paid well over there and had much more flexible worklng hours?

I don’t think so and the registration is fast tracked, but only valid for the “emergency”.

Many nurses could be useful with dispensing medicines to Nursing homes etc where they would only be needed a few hours a day.

Does anyone know what the response rate has been to this cry for help.

They were asked a couple of weeks ago

No, the Government is covering their costs and legal indemnity

Apparently about 7,500 people have stepped forward. Only those who have retired in last 3 years eligible.

And for your interest, this is the main paragraphs of what NHS has sent out to nearly 2 million people

IMPORTANT: PERSONAL

Dear
IMPORTANT ADVICE TO KEEP YOU SAFE FROM CORONAVIRUS

Your safety and the continued provision of the care and treatment you need is a priority for the NHS. This letter gives you advice on how to protect yourself and access the care and treatment you need.
The NHS has identified you, or the named person you care for, as someone at risk of severe illness if you catch Coronavirus (also known as COVID-19). This is because you have an underlying disease or health condition that means if you catch the virus, you are more likely to be admitted to hospital than others.

The safest course of action is for you to stay at home at all times and avoid all face-to-face contact for at least twelve weeks from today, except from carers and healthcare workers who you must see as part of your medical care. This will protect you by stopping you from coming into contact with the virus.

If you are in touch with friends, family or a support network in your community who can support you to get food and medicine, follow the advice in this letter. If you do not have contacts who can help support you go to www.gov.uk/coronavirus- extremely-vulnerable or call 0800 0288327, the Government’s dedicated helpline.

If, at any point, you think you have developed symptoms of coronavirus, such as a new, continuous cough and/or high temperature (above 37.8 °C), seek clinical advice using the NHS 111 online coronavirus service (https://111.nhs.uk/covid-19/). If you do not have access to the internet, call NHS 111. Do this as soon as you get symptoms.
You, or the person you care for, should:
• strictly avoid contact with someone who is displaying symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19). These symptoms include high temperature (above 37.8 °C) and/or a new and continuous cough
• not leave your home
• not attend any gatherings. This includes gatherings of friends and families in private spaces e.g. family homes, weddings and religious services
• not go out for shopping, leisure or travel. When arranging food or medication deliveries, these should be left at the door to minimise contact
• keep in touch using remote technology such as phone, internet, and social media
• use telephone or online services to contact your GP or other essential services
• regularly wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds. Ask carers or support workers who visit your home to do the same.

The rest of your household should support you to stay safe and stringently follow guidance on social distancing, reducing their contact outside the home. In your home, you should:
• minimise the time you spend with others in shared spaces (kitchen, bathroom and
sitting areas) and keep shared spaces well ventilated
• aim to keep 2 metres (3 steps) away from others and encourage them to sleep in
a different bed where possible
• use separate towels and, if possible, use a separate bathroom from the rest of the
household, or clean the bathroom after every use
• avoid using the kitchen when others are present, take your meals back to your
room to eat where possible, and ensure all kitchenware is cleaned thoroughly.