Night Breadcrumb Marauder

I have noticed that the breadboard with bread hidden away was showing signs of visitations recently, crumbs left on it to be given to the birds next day were disappearing, along with any other detritus, perhaps a bit of sugar overspill etc.
But the thing that foxed me was the fact that he didn’t leave any sort of calling card, usually there are little black pellets, so I began to doubt that it was a mouse.
But here is the proof.

6 Likes

Once they are not eating car wiring I love ‘em.

1 Like

Indeed - as posted on another thread, I previously had to settle a rather large repair bill after a rodent chomped through wiring on my car - made an absolute mess. At the time I thought the insurance would’ve paid out, but they didn’t want to know - typical, when you need it it’s not there!

From previous treads it looks like your cleaner has arrived, and working silentley whilist you sleep, doing a great job in the kitchen!
Best way to catch it humainly is large necked glass bottle and a ruler or something of the sort, place bottle with ruler/ stip of wood with a few bits of bread grain etc … and in the bottle, you should find Micky in the bottle, then you ca n dispose of somewhere else

1 Like

I know, I found a mummified one under the bonnet of a hybrid we have, but it had only nibbled the sheath around one bundle of wires. Then the car developed an issue with the “auxiliary” battery (as the onboard computer calls it) which is the high voltage battery for the electric motor. When I left it in for a service they found something had chewed the high voltage cable in the boot. No sign of entry or exit, so an expensive mystery.

Trouble is the little bleeder is not only active after we have gone to bed. I left the last chunk of bread on the board this evening while we had dinner, didn’t want to take the last one out of the freezer before the morning to last us till shopping day on Tuesday. Went in to collect it to eat with my cheese and the bread was gone and the board once again spotless.
I had to eat my cheese with digestive biscuits. :rage:

Not sure how your bottle trick works, and we don’t have glass bottles here anyway, but I am very wary of so-called ‘humane’ traps after one mouse was so badly injured by one that it was paralysed in its hindquarters. The trap you see in the background is instantaneous but he didn’t even look into the entrance.

More thinking to do. :thinking:

I was reading that mice and rats are neophobic so you could try rearranging the items on the kitchen worktop every night! Joking apart, they are said to hate the smell of peppermint oil but you would probably need to use it in the confines of a cupboard. Nice video - it’s a handsome creature.

1 Like

Sadly Michaell he is a handsome fellow, but we can’t have him around. Having discarded ‘humane’ traps as liable to cause unintended consequences, I have in the past resorted to the quickest and painless sort of death.
The trap in the background called The Big Cheese is a tunnel with 2 metal plates in it and the bait tray at the far end. Powered by a small battery, once the mouse touches the 2nd plate and completes the circuit, it is instantly and fatally electrocuted. When I first bought this, after many other unsuccessful methods, both humane and deadly, we were almost literally overrun by mice, we could see them scurrying across each room, and something had to be done. Their nest was in a double skinned wall under the sink and the entrance could not be blocked because vital pipes went through the hole. In little more than a week we lost count of the bodies trapped and discarded but it was well into double figures and approaching 50.

But they stopped, I haven’t seen a mouse for at least 2 years till just before that video.

This time it is different, no little black traces at all, either he/she/they are constipated or hoovering even those items up in their consumptive mania and also they have obviously read the book written by the very last, would be, victim and show not a flicker of interest in the entrance to the tunnel of death, no matter how enticing the odours emanating from it.

Why do you not employ (or even borrow?) a cat?

I have in the past transported mice to the local recreation ground but I’ve read since that it’s not much kinder. Traps that spring shut can maim and not kill. Your electrical one sounds effective and humane assuming the animals die very quickly. Does it run on mains voltage?

Our neighbour’s cat Rosie used to be relied upon to catch mice in the garden, though I believe she’s become more of a consultant as she has aged :grinning:

4 Likes

David mentions a battery. The current must be boosted some way I guess.

I would imagine a step up transformer/voltage circuit linked to a capacitor. Can charge over several minutes until ready to zap.

We had a problem with mice thanks to next door being empty and their guests coming over to us for food. We used conventional traps, catching 26 or 27. Mostly they killed outright, just a couple of times catching a tail. We had a humane trap alongside, and that caught a single mouse in the whole time.

This to all of you.
Cats may be efficient but they are certainly not as humane as a successful deadly trap and in any case I have a dog that treats cats the way cats treat mice, though he has never actually managed to catch one.

Not mains power and not boosted, it doesn’t take much to electrocute a mouse, just 4 AA batteries.

I know the problem isn’t a lack of power to kill because the bait is totally undisturbed so I know that no mouse has been in there and the video confirmed that. I have never before known of a mouse that could resist the pull of Nutella, and last night I embedded 2 peanuts and 2 raisons in it. Nothing.

I hate to kill anything, I am practically a Jain, though I don’t go so far as to sweep the ground before me lest I tread on an ant, but flies, wasps, frelons, spiders are all ushered outside and only death is the last resort though I do accept that the cold world might finish them off. I was really upset the other day when Jules caught and killed a Robin that had flown in through the door.

Perhaps, following that philosophy, instead of slaughtering I should create a feeding station out of Jules’ reach and persuade the little devils to keep away from everything else. :thinking:

2 Likes

I too hate killing. I’d try to lure it elsewhere to enjoy tasty bits and pieces in perfect safety.

Just a thought… the mouse might not be leaving any obvious/visible deposits… but it is probably weeing… not a nice thing to happen on a worksurface, breadboard etc.

I would prefer not to kill, but if the other options (like the humane trap we tried first) don’t work then it doesn’t cause me a problem in a situation like this.

Our cat was an excellent mouser. He once brought us a mole and half a marten. But he hated big lizards who could out-stare him.

1 Like

Yes but adds a certain je ne sais quoi to the taste of the toast. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Well done @David_Spardo … just got off the phone to friends I miss very much… so feeling a bit down… but your reply has made me roar with laughter…

cheers

If only I were so fortunate as to have night marauding mice, but I fear that my problem is of much more consequence. In the wee hours when all is asleep, I was starting to think that a phantom was lurking about the house with a fetish for cleanliness.

It started last Tuesday morning when I noted that the last useable sliver of soap had disappeared during the night from my soap dish but not from my wife’s about a metre away. On Wednesday and Thursday all was well. I used the soap from my wife’s dish. Then on Friday, I transferred yet another end of soap bar from the shower to my soap dish and placed a fresh bar in the shower. My perplexity deepened on Saturday morning when I discovered the soap thief had been at work again. The recently moved sliver had disappeared. At this point, my wife was convinced that I was suffering from dementia.

The missing sliver was replaced with a fresh bar in her presence. My puzzlement turned to real concern on Sunday morning however when I discovered that the new 100-gram bar of soap had disappeared in turn.

In each case, the culprit made a clean get away. No traces of nibbles or droppings. The disappearance of a new bar of soap excluded mice. I really can’t imagine that a mouse is capable of pulling a soap bar twice its weight and size. Apart from the mysterious disappearance of the soap, there was one commonality to the thefts. In each case, it was lavender scented soap (savon de Marseille) that disappeared. The olive oil soap remained untouched. The mystery deepened on Sunday afternoon when I went to fetch a bottle of wine from the rack in the cellar and discovered that the lower lying bottles had been viciously attacked. The foil capsules were lying in shreds on the floor, but fortunately the corks resisted.

My guess is a ferret or something of the ilk. Any suggestions that do not involve a cat to deal with the intruder?