No CT, going home to Dordogne

We have been very happy to have been in blighty since last August with the family completing a building project and lately waiting to be jabbed.

We now have four jabs, between the two of us, and are more than keen to get back to France.

I checked the vehicle and, horror, the CT expired last year!

Can any one help with the rules if I get stopped on the way from the Chunnel to the Dordogne?

I understand if it were totally the reverse; i.e., no MOT, UK car returning to UK; I would be OK if I was driving to an appointment for an MOT test. So I believe?

Can anyone help with my current dilemma, will I be OK if I have an appointment for the CT in the Dordogne the day after I arrive? Arrival will be late pm.

I believe you are only authorised to drive to the CT centre, nowhere else (but I am no expert). Could you book a CT close to the port? And get it done before you head south?

I have considered this, but its a twelve hour journey door to door, and co-ordinating train crossings with the CT booking could take hours in itself.

It would really mean an overnight stay…

Yep - it may be required to comply,

A hotel for the night might be cheaper than the alternative…

En France, il est strictement interdit de rouler avec un contrôle technique périmé. Si tel est le cas, vous êtes en infraction et risquez des sanctions. Qu’il soit périmé d’un jour ou d’un mois, les sanctions sont exactement les mêmes pour le conducteur. Aucun délai supplémentaire ne peut être accordé concernant l’obtention de la vignette du passage au contrôle technique.
C’est ce qu’on appelle le défaut de contrôle technique. Il présente 3 scénarios différents :

• Votre contrĂ´le technique est pĂ©rimĂ© ;
  • Votre contrĂ´le technique prĂ©sente la mention “Avis dĂ©favorable” datant de plus de 2 mois et aucune contre-visite n’a Ă©tĂ© rĂ©alisĂ©e ;
  • Le contrĂ´le technique prĂ©sente la mention “Avis dĂ©favorable pour dĂ©faillance critique” et aucune contre-visite n’a Ă©tĂ© effectuĂ©e.

Si vous conduisez un [véhicule sans contrôle technique ou avec un contrôle technique expiré, vous vous mettez en infraction et risquez :

• Une [ amende*s’élevant Ă  135€ : si vous ne la rĂ©glez pas dans un dĂ©lai de 45 jours, elle sera majorĂ©e Ă  750€ ;
  • La confiscation de votre certificat d’immatriculation : malgrĂ© la vous pouvez obtenir une autorisation de circulation d’une semaine pour rĂ©aliser votre contrĂ´le technique ;
  • L’immobilisation de votre voiture : selon l’état de sĂ©curitĂ© et de fiabilitĂ© votre vĂ©hicule, il peut ĂŞtre immobilisĂ©e et emmenĂ©e par la fourrière.

Nous vous conseillons d’être prévoyant et de réaliser votre contrôle technique avant la date d’expiration du précédent. Contactez un centre agréé quelques mois avant l’expiration de la vignette et prenez rendez-vous quelques semaines avant la date butoir.

Thanks very much, Jane, can you let me know the source of thes words of wisdom, please?

and your insurance may not be valid if the car doesn’t have a contrôle technique. The easiest by far, as mentioned, would be to book it in to the test centre nearest/near the ferry port and drive straight there, get it done, then drive home, it’ll only add an hour or so and you’ll be legal :wink: Or not depending on when you travel and the new confinement conditions just announced - better check that too :wink:

1 Like

Sorry, don’t keep fleeting history. But same info on loads of site