No Likey...No Lighty!

In a recent discussion we had a chat about the ability to increase the ‘options’ available to us to indicate our support, or otherwise, for a discussion post. Ok we currently have the lovely :heart_decoration: for ‘liking’ what we see / read but nothing else for us to share any other ‘feelings’ :wink: Possibly something more subtle than thumbs up / thumbs down :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I was thinking today - what about a traffic light / weather warning voting system - a green, yellow, red kind of thing …like? :green_heart: :yellow_heart: :heart: or :sunny: :cloud: :cloud_with_rain: - for example.

1 Like

Is there one with a lightning strike/storm, that could be very useful sometimes …

Ann there is but I was holding myself back - for once !! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Would the person who made the post know who had ‘ranked’ them ?

Not sure about that one Nellie…possibly not (?) as it may stifle honest feedback. I think just a running total / counter in each category. What do you think? Any other ideas?

1 Like

I see where this would be useful, but on the whole it’s too busy especially for new members. Words are an excellent way to convey a sentiment too!

In the world of software, this kind of thing is known as ‘feature creep’.

The developers of the software that runs SF are the guys that built Stack Exchange, there is a huge community of them figuring out what is best for this particular application on a daily/hourly basis. I reckon they know best., so I’ll leave them to it.

Feedback, as always, appreciated. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t think it would be a good idea for whoever gave you a rating to be identifiable ,as you say it may stifle honest marking

1 Like

It’s gamification of online contact effectively, and that’s why I’ happy with the status quo.

We do it to some extent with badges and trust levels, and I think that’s enough engagement promotion for now at least.

2 Likes

and we’ve had a few of those on here… :wink:
Some more creepy than others…

2 Likes

ROTFL- You’ve started early this morning Graham! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I take on board what @james has said and, after all it’s his forum, - I was just trying to ‘copy’ the facilities some of the big boys offer (FB / YT etc).

Early to bed and no alcohol provides the basis for that Simon :upside_down_face:

1 Like

A bit of thread drift…but why has a piece of cake appeared by my name? Has someone been spying on my post-christmas indulgences?

How do I remove it? As not even a type of cake I like…

I think if we really dislike the way that a post is going we should ignore it.
Denying the oxygen of publicity puts out the fire.

1 Like

Just ‘hover’ on it Jane :slight_smile:

No, cake doesn’t budge…

It’s just to “celebrate” your SFN anniversary. :balloon::tada::birthday:

It will be gone tomorrow.

That’s nice

(although I’d have preferred a chocolate cake)

3 Likes