NO WOOD BURNER - Help and advice needed

'My precious Rayburn is humming away. The radiators are hot, shower water hot, just cooked on/in it and the kitchen is snug and cosy. That's how it ought to be.' My words on the chat a few minutes ago. I imported a reconditioned one from a place in Cornwall, three years ago all told it came to €2,400. Try getting one of that nature here. Mind you, the installation with a decent hot water boiler/storage also costs a tidy sum and will anyway, plus ours is backed up by the solar when there is a bit of sun, which takes over in summer anyway. So it depends on what you want and do, the house you eventually find yourself settled in and what you are willing/able to invest initially. Wood is best because it is not dependent on electricity as gas and oil tend to be for fans and so on. A wood pellet burner is a great choice, but a really good one that will heat your house will cost the earth.

I simply followed experience. Since I bought my first place nearly 40 years ago I have by luck or design always had at least one wood burner each has served me well.

Hi Suz. Yes, we were able to do the same last winter with woodburner. Maybe I should go out and see who has a smoking chimney, make up a short list of neighbours! :-) Must have been awful with the baby and no power for 15 hours!!

Oh Sheila - I feel for you. A couple of years ago we had a new baby and went 15 hours without power. Luckily we did have the woodburner...we were able to boil water on it & sterilise her kit & I cooked CousCous with tinned veg. It was reminiscent of camping but the bedrooms were a little chilly and extra blankets were needed. I couldn't imagine not having a woodburner now. I hope you find some sort of storage heater (non electric) which works...or go and find a neighbour with oil heating/wood burner & squat... :)