Non-essential medical stuff

Dandruff and pimples… etc :thinking::zipper_mouth_face:

I had no idea this over-the-counter sort of thing was being paid for by the NHS…

Is immediate release fentanyl for palliative care really such low value? The pain relief my mother was provided with during her last weeks and days was hugely important to her - and to us as we didn’t want her to suffer. Can’t remember which they were, but she had an array of them including fentanyl.

And I had a knee arthroscopy maybe 10 years ago, which allowed me get back on my feet to continue working and paying taxes. Is that really low value?

So yes some of the things on the list I would agree with, but not all.

1 Like

As you say… there are things on the list… which many folk would think it unnecessary for the NHS to fund…with the money saved going to much more worthy medical treatments etc…

anyone have any thoughts/info on cannebidis, non-THC chanvre, for pain medication, just using the CBD part for reducing pain?

If it’s effective, it should be available!

Are you asking if the NHS does or should pay for it ??

https://www.cbd-expert.fr/blog/differences-entre-huile-au-thc-huile-de-cannabis-huile-de-chanvre-et-huile-au-cbd/

No … as far as I know it is not reimbursed…just looking for feedback on experience really

Personally I feel it should be available to all both here and in uk (in fact globally) …and I take a drop of low thc cbd oil every day twice a day as a nutritional supplement and give it to my Collies too…

It guards against inflammation…Alzheimer’s…cancer…corrects diabetes…stops seizures…many health benefits…For late stage cancer then a higher thc ratio is indicated as per Rick Simpson but isn’t currently available commercially…

The low thc high cbd oil currently available through many outlets most definitely does no harm and most definitely helps…x :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A friend of mine swears by its effectiveness. She’s had numerous surgeries and uses it in an ointment to ease joint and muscle pain. Also takes a very tiny bit orally for arthritic pain, and/or muscle pain, I believe.

3 Likes

It could well be that you would be allowed your arthroscopy under the new rules. Not all will be stopped

And still not a word about charging patients who have never paid into the system or otherwise who cannot prove their entitlement to social credits. Dentists manage very well to charge patients in the UK without a problem, so WHY NOT doctors and hospitals?

It certainly sounds daft to me… how do folk get away with it ??

Deciding which procedures are "non essential " is usually done by people who don’t suffer from the condition.

2 Likes

I think it goes deeper than that Sue…

Dandruff… who hasn’t had this at some time or another ? Medicated Shampoo etc for Dandruff and other general stuff that is sold over the counter… should not warrant the NHS paying for it… IMO .

If a Stronger Medication is needed, then let the Dr prescribe it … if he thinks the situation warrants it… but in general… NO… let the money go to other causes.

Here in France, the Doc may well prescribe something… but if it is NOT reimbursed (at least in part) by the State… the patient has to pay for it at the Pharmacy. Been there, done that… quite understandable and acceptable.

Possibly., although I had to push hard to get it done even 10 years ago.

What drives me slightly wild is that some procedures are seen to be ineffective if they don’t show results for, say, over 60% of patients. Fine, but that means 4 out of 10 people could have been helped, but were denied treatment.

my friend used to have “herbal” smoke which helped his MS considerably, but now uses oil as he feels he cannot be sure that what he buys (in the UK) is “clean” and not infiltrated with the strong stuff.

“how do people get away with it…?” (Stella)

Not very many patients get away with not paying for treatment for which they are not eligible, Stella, because eligibility for urgent treatment is available to most people e.g. overseas visitors: and because the administrative bureaucracy needed to check everyone’s eligibility before starting treatment is out of proportion cost-wise to the revenue that might be yielded thereby.

Many/most hospitals do employ a person to check up on individuals whom it can be established are ineligible for free treatment, but no-one is under any obligation to prove eligibility, and many who should pay lack the means to do so. But they can’t be discharged or have their treatment stopped as doctors and nurses have a professional duty of care which forbids them from discriminatory neglect of that duty.

Eligibility checks would have to carried out on everyone. Just imagine how that would bog down the busy staff in A&E, dealing with seriously or critically patients and having to delay life-saving treatment while someone looked through wallets or handbags for a credit card, and ran a check on the current balance.

Most dentists do mainly cosmetic work on people who have been brainwashed into thinking they must have perfect, even, gleaming gnashers and mouths that don’t smell like open sewers.

Load of tosh IMO. My own teeth are still intact, fully serviceable and the colour of very old piano keys, with lots of gaps, but more ivory than gaps. I’ve had them and used them for about 78 years. I have a very loose molar in my lower jaw which is working its own way out of its socket very gradually and painlessly. I shall possibly swallow it in my sleep.

And so to bed… :pensive:

Blockquote

I see that Dupuys Trens syndrome is mentioned in this list.
I posted about this some time ago and have it in both hands.
I treat it with massage and Reiki and successfully keep it at bay.
I remember that there was a new treatment of injection and I hope that this treatment will continue.
I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome but could not be treated for several months. As I was living in a very rural area with two small children, I went to see an osteopath.
He confirmed that the problem was caused by the damage caused to my hand when both Jim and I went for the 'fridge door at the same time and my hand was the one underneath.
He traced the damage to my neck, which had been hurt in a car crash and the collar which I was told to wear had meant that ligaments which had been torn were re-aligned in a wrong position, which was what causing my neck pain.
He successfully softened these ligaments and then tore them free, leaving my neck once again straight.
No need for a carpal tunnel operation or cost to the NHS.

The last couple of years I was at my hospital in the UK, everyone was asked at reception whether they were eligible for treatment - and there was a big sign up about the rules of who could be treated free and who couldn’t. They merely asked, rather than checked or asked people to prove eligibility, so was only a deterrent but perhaps it helped.

That’s interesting to learn, things have apparently changed since we moved to France, and it’s ages since I needed to go to hospital anywhere.

I’m not sure how I should respond now that I am resident in France (if I needed hospital treatment on a visit back to Britain). It seems that I can use my UK EHIC card which was renewed recently and sent to me through the post to my French address. Is this the right procedure, or would it be easier just to say, “Yes, I’m eligible”, without going into the dreary detail? I have a Carte Vitale.