Nordnet anyone?

We currently have French tv via Orange satellite but this service will be closed down in a few weeks.
Does anyone have any alternative satellite solutions bearing in mind we would need an internet link for Netflix etc ?
Anyone have Nordnet ?
We are still awaiting Orange Fibre so anything else would probably be temporary.
Many thanks

Steer away from Nordnet as they are having problems with older systems & want to sell you a more pricey & totally different replacement.
Can you not use a 4G system temporarily? This is obviously going to depend on coverage where you live.

2 Likes

I thought that if you have an Orange internet account, you can also get the Orange Live TV decoder. I’m sure that was the arrangement we had when we had an Orange account.

IIRC The decoder has two ports - one for satellite access and one for the internet (RJ45) which connects to the Livebox. They supply (or used to) an RJ45 cable (yellow plug each end) with the decoder. You can also connect your smart TV to the Livebox by WiFi.

1 Like

We had Nordnet satellite for years, internet and TV. But on 28th Feb this year the Ka-Sat network stopped working. It was said to have been a cyber attack. Internet was gone but TV still worked. Nordnet started suggesting Neosat as a replacement, but happily our Orange fibre connection came along, so we cancelled Nordnet. We have an Orange TV decoder and Livebox 5 and I rang Orange to activate an enregistreur option for recording progammes. All good so far, except for occasional connection hiccups, maybe due to ongoing connections. The speed is much faster than Nordnet ever was, and no quota.

1 Like

Hi Fleur, we are currently waiting to get fibre but it still seems a way off despite it being only about 100 mètres away. Our debit is very low so we can’t support both internet and tv. Neosat looks a possibility.

1 Like

Hi Peter

We moved from Nordnet to Bouyges 4G system.

Very pleased and a far superior service.

Hope this helps

Andy

3 Likes

I seem to recall that Orange did a fancy bit of footwork with their TV app on the Live TV decoder which made it infinitely possible to get both. When we had Orange, our débit was low too but it seemed to cope quite well.
You should try it… The set up will be the same between the Live TV decoder and the fibre box when it is installed.

2 Likes

Hi Peter, we were like you, waiting seemingly forever. Everywhere we drove we gazed jealously at the newly installed fibre on the roadside poles. I checked for progress on the fibre roll-out on the internet every few days, and our eligibility. Then one day we noticed a big reel of cable and the fibre guys with a nacelle down the road, fixing up the cable, pole by pole. Then suddenly it all happened. A rdv was fixed, and the engineer even rang the day before to ask if he could come a day earlier. All good ! Have faith…

1 Like

We used to receive Orange TV services via satellite, about a year ago they sent us an ethernet/wifi based unit to replace it as they deemed our 5.8 Mb/sec sufficient - so far it has proved to be fine.
Perhaps a call to Orange to ask for the alternative ?

1 Like

Thanks PeterJ.
I’m going to pop in Monday and ask for alternatives.

Hi @Peter_Bird - I can advise that our SkyDSL satellite stopped working on 28th Feb, apparently taken out by the Russians but nothing confirmed for sure, this also impacted Nordnet so I’ve been told.
Our solution while waiting for fibre is to use a 4G Router and Poynting V3 5G external aerial bolted to chimney which then plugs into the router.
This gives reasonable service between 4 Meg to 20 Meg speed. Certainly not very fast but using a “Free” 210 Gig SIM card for €19.99 gives value for money. We run Netflix, Prime and 2 iPhones plus computer on this system.
The SkyDSL dish claimed 100 Meg but didn’t work too well and is now dead.
We did have an Orange Sim (Flybox) to start but signal was poor and service intermittent and they limited the data.
Regards. R.

I have french tv through our tv aerial, isn’t that an option for you, although I’m probably missing something!

French tv is easy to get but I need the line in to have internet for Netflix etc etc.

But for now you could just use an aerial which would free up the internet you do have for Netflix?