Nordnet’s new neosat satellite broadband service

Graham, to save me going through the whole thread, do you know if it is unlimited or 100, 200gb monthly.

Hi Graham
Any thoughts on my original question about the new satellite option

See link. Internet par satellite - neosat | Nordnet

Personally, I’m not keen. I looked at these solutions some time ago before 4G came readily along) and at the time the commentaries were very much of the mind that they were very susceptible to weather conditions and there were limitations on where in france it was available. Since out 4G is working wel, I’m not keen to change it. @anon88169868 may have a view though… and there are additional installation costs to consider of course which might also make your house look more like jodrell bank…

Yeah good point what with the sky dish …

1 Like

but their claim is that technology has improved so… perhaps 5G will make it even better where fibre to the house isn’t available out in the sticks :thinking:

24 posts were merged into an existing topic: Starlink (was Nordnet satellite Internet)

Satellite is less of a poor choice than it used to be, at least you can get tolerable speeds but latency is always an issue and, as mentioned above, usage caps are often quite low. I’d still only recommend it if there is, realistically, no other option.

Starlink looks interesting but expensive and I suspect will fall somewhere short of the hype (as with most things Musk is involved in).

1 Like

Hi i looked at starlink and as you say to early and expensive which is why the new nordnet looks interesting as it uses new satellite tech ???
link

Still geostationary as far as I can see, so minimum 250ms round trip to the satellite and 500ms “ping” times, fine for many Internet uses but a killer for games. It’s also not great for voice, it can be made to work, after all satellite phones have been a thing for years, and telephony is part of the service so I’m assuming that they are happy enough in practice, but the correspondent on a call might not be expecting France to Australia type delays on a “local” call.

1 Like

Hi Paul
I will mainly be using it for video conferencing music and film downloads or streaming, would you think it would be ok for that ?

Downloads/streaming - should be fine.

Videoconferencing - I’d try before you buy if possible, it’s the sort of application that can be sensitive to latency.

1 Like

No, no, and no.
We took out a Nordnet subscription when we first moved into our current home, there being no DSL at the time. Kept it for 2 years, during which time, I must have rung the tech support at least once a month to complain.

The problems are multiple:

• the peak bandwidth is just that, and rarely lasts more than a few minutes - if you need sustained high bandwidth, e. g. for backups, synchronisation with outside storage, even operating system update downloads, etc, then you can forget it, it simply isn’t reliable enough ;
  • during the evenings, weekends and school holidays, the contention rate increases to a point where you’re inevitably disconnected at some stage, and it will be hard to find actual information as to what contention rates are for your area;
  • connection is weather dependent - snow, thunderstorm, heavy rain, all interfere with signal quality and transmission/reception.

If work is prepared to fork out the costs and running of a business subscription, you may get better service overall, but the price difference between consumer and pro subscriptions is fairly significant as I recall.

I wouldn’t go near satellite internet ever again unless I had no other choice.

2 Likes

Downloads that initiate multiple parallel connections to the remote server in order to spread the load on the provider’s equipment are more likely to fail - distributed computing service is not one of Nordnet’s strongpoints, certainly not for the consumer subscription packages, and there was a data cap per month, which takes into account both up and down loaded data.

Found this explanation on the most common issues people seem to discover post-subscription, there’s also a link to the caps
https://assistance.nordnet.com/kb/Comprendre-et-optimiser-votre-consommation-satellite-(PRIMO-ECO)_15.html

I think your first post about the practical experience of using the system is invaluable as the service looks quite good in theory on paper but I’m at a bit of a loss as to why multiple connections to the same provider should fail (unless actively blocked, which is possible). Whether 1 individual stream or 10 it should all just be packets to the satellite link.

My experience with the old service was that even the handset combo they offered through their router suffered from both noise on the line and terrible lag.

They detect how many outgoing connections you’re making and throttle the bandwidth as a result, and occasionally put you on their naughty list as a result. All in their T&Cs too.

That’s just anti-social, it really makes no difference if you have one stream at 10mbps or 10 at 1mbps.

As I said in my first post on this thread, satellite broadband is not as awful as it used to be but it sounds as though using it only if no other option is available remains the correct advice.

1 Like

Another thing I discovered and found to be totally useless. They encourage subscribers to use their night-time connections (12-6) for high data throughput applications. What they didn’t say at the time is that the connections available are rate limited. I gave up on the number of times I tried to program a remote backup to work from midnight (or just after), only to watch it fail 2/3 way through because the “free use” period had run out.

Thanks for your advice gents think I’ll wait and explore another 4g provider.