'Normal' death in a time of coronavirus

Glad to hear that your new saw is a good one.

In my time on the tree gang of The Royal Parks Dept the choice of bow saw to take up a tree to saw off a limb came down to just one, every time. When roped in, with nowhere to hide and cutting off a big limb, the last little undercut to get the limb to go is a matter of mere millimetres, finally. You want that limb to go precisely when you want it to and in the right direction. We found that Sandvik blades were the sharpest and most trustworthy of all.

2 Likes

Which parkā€¦I was in Regentā€™s.

1 Like

Attagirl !! :ok_hand::+1::grinning:

That brought memories back.
Used to live in Cambridge Terrace on the Outer Circle, and walk across the Park every day.

Based in the depot in Kensington Gdns. Regentā€™s Pk must have had another tree gang because we never worked there. Ken Gds, Hyde Pk, Buckingham Palace gardens [we took down all Brendaā€™s massive elm trees.], Osterley Park, Brompton Rd Cemetery.

1975-76

We did the Regentā€™s park and other sites out to Audley Endā€¦73 - 77. The hot years!

(And I was born in a basement in park square eastā€¦)

You were on the job for the great elm tree removal in the mid 70ā€™s. I recall that this was made a great deal easier when a massive gale blew almost all of them down. Hyde Pk/Ken Gdns looked like a battlefield where The Ents had taken a beating.

I have never been so cold as the month we spent in the gardens of Buck Pal taking down the elms there. It was Jan. The lake froze solid enough for the guy who looked after Brendaā€™s collection of exotic waterfowl to walk across with his wheelbarrow of food. But it also meant that the flamingos, kept perfectly pink by a daily bucketful of shrimps, took to trying to escape from the island across the ice.

How we laughed! Flamingos tottering about with their backward knees, falling flat on their beaks - one or two actually made it and had to be rounded up. I can add chasing Her Majetyā€™s escaping flamingos to my list of bizarre jobs.

Taking down the elms was a real grunt. Not so much as a twig was allowed to fall onto the grass. Each tree had to have all the limbs roped down. Then the trunks had to be sliced off in sections that could be carried by one man, as we were not allowed to have so much as a wheelbarrow, let alone a L-R and trailer, on the lawns. Meanwhile we were constantly being shouted at by the head gardener, a man with the unlikely name of Fred Nutbeam, who used to ride about on a bicycle, steering with one hand and toting a 12-bore in the other to shoot crows.

ā€œYou boys mind my edges!ā€ he would roar. The edges of lawn to pathway had to be a perfect rt angle.

Her Maj used to take a turn round the gardens - 22 acres - every afternoon at 4pm, with headscarfe, and a selection of labradors ā€¦

We were instructed, if approached by HM, to answer a question to which we did not know the answer with, ā€œI donā€™t know Maā€™amā€. B.S, was not permitted because H.M. never asks a question to which she does not already know the answer, we were told.

Every sign of a tree having been in a spot was to be eliminated. Once down to the stump, a stump grinder was permitted onto the lawns to remove the stump. Every speck of sawdust was then to be removed. The gardeners then turfed over the spot and, in a few days, you couldnā€™t see the join, as Eric used to say about Ernieā€™s supposed toupee.

HM stayed well clear of us rough lads ā€¦

4 Likes

Plant a tree in ā€˜73, plant one more in ā€˜74. (Sadly all too oftenā€¦watch them shrivel in ā€˜75 and turn into sticks in ā€˜76)

2 Likes

I remember that, my parents lived in Ennismore gardens and in the holidays if I was in London I spent most of my time in Hyde Park.

Friend of mine used to live in Ennismore Gdns. He was a ā€˜trustafarianā€™ but worked his way thruā€™ his fortune, ended up in council B n B in Southamptonā€¦

Gloriously told, Capā€™n. :smiley::hugs:

Yes. '75 and '76 were scorchers.

Before joining the tree gang, a friend of mine, being a man who loved plants, worked in the Propagation House in Hyde Pk. But this made him gardener grade and thus on call for the job of picking up fag ends from the lawns of Buck Pal after the Garden Parties.

A line of people, shoulder to shouder, down on their hands and knees, had to shuffle forwards across the lawns, picking up fag ends in their path. My friend, constitutionally one of ā€˜the awkward squadā€™ and a member of the haute bourgoisie [his grandfather, an admiral, was Director of Naval Intelligence during WW2 and his father was Prof of Surgery at St. Thomasā€™s] was incandescent at this humiliating example of the rule of Kings/Queens.

As ā€˜forester gradeā€™ on the tree gang we were exempt from this. We were also the only grade to get issued, on intake, with brand new steelies. Other grades got ā€˜dead menā€™s shoesā€™.

1 Like

When I started my apprenticeship we had to pick up fag ends round the cafĆ© and bandstand in Regentā€™s Park - but common as muck No 6 from the hoi polloi, not posh ones!

Apologies to Kouta Lakis for drifting his thread off into the weedsā€¦

Dear John Hall

Yes, how very, very sad you must be. Of course. A good friend is dead and you will probably miss him always. Our pets, dogs,cats, etc, share our lives and give us comfort, joy and fun.

He was a much loved dog, and he must have known that. Remember this.

Karenf

2 Likes

I wrote a reply to you re the death of your dog. It somehow has appeared miles away from your missive, further down on the list.

Karenf

1 Like

Thank you for your kind a thoughtful words Karen. Yes we will always remember the joy he brought us, now 4 days on the sadness is lifting and replaced with ā€œdo you remember whenā€.
Our children have exchanged numerous photos on WhatsApp which have made us smile.
Loved and now gone but never ever forgotten, our big lovable lump Dylan.

1 Like

Eek - that looks just like my roof!

To all those experiencing losses - :pensive: my thoughts are with you.

I have found losing a much-loved animal companion a lot worse than losing some relations, simply because thereā€™s none of the ambiguity there is with people, and it is a much more wholehearted and close relationship.
Condolences and bon courage.

5 Likes

Me tooā€¦

The lady who lives over the road from my mom in uk has just had a dreadful experience due to the lockdown situationā€¦

She used to call on my mom every day with her elderly German shepherd who absolutely loved my mom and made a beeline every morning to her houseā€¦

The dog suddenly went off his back legs so my momā€™s neighbour called the vet for a home visit for a peaceful ptsā€¦which was refusedā€¦so she had to get him into the car crying in pain and take him to the surgery whereupon the vet put a chain round him and started dragging him across the car park splaying his front legs and making his paws bleedā€¦my momā€™s neighbour was distraught as she has never handled her dog in such a way and couldnā€™t bear seeing how frightened he was and grabbed the chain and held her dog close to her sobbing her heart outā€¦the vet threatened to report herā€¦

A week later and after having loved her dog for his 10 year lifetime his final moments are all she can think aboutā€¦playing it over and over in her headā€¦

I know a lot of vets are only dealing with emergencies at the minute but it sounds like this was a case of social distancing taken to the extremeā€¦???

And callous and heartless tooā€¦:frowning:

That is utterly horrible. I am so sorry for your friend and her dog.

1 Like