Not applicable in the Cheerful News thread

You almost feel a nice cool waft of air just looking at the photograph!

2 Likes

I follow The Naked Civil Servant’s mantra that dust does not become very deep, it reaches a certain depth and then stops. He was right too, I have done the experiment on the TV cabinet. :joy:

4 Likes

This - I have got to see a photo of (when you can transfer photos to either the cloud or your PC) !:pink_heart:

Now some holes filled and repainted.

You’ll tell me it looks just like it did before. :wink: But I can see it’s bright rather than a bit grubby.

3 Likes

My English grandmother would say “the dust will still be there tomorrow” when there was a choice between going out and having fun or doing housework. Provided it doesn’t get out of hand, that’s a good way to live.

1 Like

Looked up IMDb 'cos I forgot his name. Anyway, one of Quintin Crisp’s famous quotes was :

There was no need to do any housework at all. After the first four years the dirt doesn’t get any worse.

:pink_heart:

2 Likes

That too, although I don’t call dog fur and spilt coffee from a trembling elderly hand, dirt, that is always cleared up, once a week if necessary. I take my timings from the wonderful Chrystelle F**** whose full surname should never be spelt on an English language forum. :wink:

OK in American but certainly not in English

You will, it never goes away you know.

That too, although I don’t call dog fur and spilt coffee from a trembling elderly hand, dirt, that is always cleared up, once a week if necessary. I take my timings from the wonderful Chrystelle F**** whose full surname should never be spelt on an English language forum. :wink:

My wife used to take calls from employees phoning in to say they were sick. It was not uncommon for someone to say they wouldn’t be in today as they had flu but they would be back tomorrow!

In the olden days, as a HR Manager, my assistant used to monitor people’s sick days, especially the Friday/Monday ones. It’s surprising how many people took those days off as ‘sick days’. :pink_heart:

Not the same, defo’ brighter, well done you.

2 Likes

In the Olden Days, HR was called “Personnel & Payroll”.

1 Like

You’re talking about the really olden olden days ! :pink_heart:

1 Like

When pay-packets had little corners you could count the notes without breaking the seal?
I wuz there.

2 Likes

As was I.

I remember when it changed and one of the labourers would go to the bank every payday, withdraw his wages, count it and then put half back in.

Indeed I am.

I can’t remember working for a company that had an HR function called that before the early 2000s, but then I was in the defence and mobile communications industries for my entire working life and they might have been late to the new way of doing things.

HR was from about 1990 in the science world.

They were also known as the anti-personnel department when confidential employees information landed on bosses desks.

1 Like

It was “personnel” when I were a lad and they actually helped the personnel.

1 Like

Yup.

1982-84 for me and then I was moved kicking and screaming (along with 7,500 others) to being paid electronically every month.

1 Like

Known as Human Remains at some companies I worked with.

1 Like