Not very much poultry for sale

We went out food shopping yesterday and noticed very little poultry or game for sale. No geese or whole ducks etc. Was that just around Bergerac and St Foy la Grande areas?

For the first time I found a Label Rouge turkey that was worth buying.
I haven’t seen a goose on sale here at all.
That is in Saint Bonnet de Joux near Charolles.

Bird Flu. Whoke flocks of ducks have hadto be slaughtered.

2 Likes

Round here (Lot-et-Garonne) - loads of capons, turkeys, pintades on sale. Bought a very nice capon in Leclerc yesterday - 3kgs - just the right size for four of us. We tend to find the smaller turkeys a bit scraggy.

1 Like

A neighbour delivered me to kiné, then went on to collect her chickens which she’d pre-ordered from a local supplier…

Seems folk here mostly pre-order for Holiday times, as we have local smallbusinesses and their excellent stock (whatever) is always in demand.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be nice if China didn’t send us any biohazards in 2023?

4 Likes

That’s why I was so pleased to find my bigger one looking fresh and plump.

1 Like

Can’t stand turkey so no problem on that front but I did notice that Lidl had some yesterday. No ducks, presumably as @JaneJones says, a result of bird flu, but not noticable shortage of chickens or pintades.

We usually order dishes from the local charcuterie for our French-style Christmas Eve main meal and they have a note on the bottom of their leaflet saying they have a reduced range because of supply problems with certain products. Looking at the menus, the lack seems to be duck, mainly.

Bird flu, it has caused hundreds of thousands of birds (if not millions) all over Europe, to die or be slaughtered and is still going strong. Horrible.

I just collected my capon, ordered from a local farm. No shortages!

I’m afraid, not ‘if’ but ‘when’

2 Likes

That’s just peachy.

Despite the earlier warnings of turkey scarcity in the UK due to bird flu I heard on R4 there’s now a glut with stores discounting them.

But is that more because people can’t afford them? So didn’t need as many in the first place.

1 Like

Good point. I was wondering how the supply/demand situation had been read so badly only a week or so ago. The more I see of the plight of the folk in the UK the more thankful I am that I’m not there. Civil servants and nurses using food banks. Who could have imagined it?

1 Like

3 Likes

Despite assuming that we should pre-order, which we did (canette) today, our usual supplier on Figeac market had plenty of birds.

We normally get a goose but there were none, as we expected with the bird flu, 4.2kg fresh duck (Loire Valley farm origin) was no problem and was not the lst one available and this was last Thursday lunchtime, dept 79, fresh turkey, pintard and chapon were plentyful as always

1 Like