Nothing in Particular

Great interpretation of the live 1938 Benny Goodman version at Carnegie Hall of Sing, Sing, Sing! It follows the 1938 version faithfully except for the piano solo and applause not being there. The audio is downloaded and ready for the earphones. Thank you!

I’d like to know who recorded this film’s version. Do you know what film this excerpt is from?

It is from the film Swing Kids (1993) it is a very good film but at times a little heavy going, well worth a watch.
I seem to recall the music was a original recording with the drum part added.

1 Like

Our journey back to the UK - delayed by about two hours due to a malfunctioning ferry ramp at Caen meant we hit rush hour traffic leaving Portsmouth. What a terrible journey - I don’t know if the rail strike was partly to blame but
the trunk roads were hopelessly congested.
After three hours we stopped at a service area. OMG - mini- America fast food and a huge number of cars and people - well compared to what we had experienced in France.
Fortunately once we reached Shropshire we made normal progress and the sunlight on the hills was beautiful if dazzling as we headed west.

2 Likes

I’ve grown to like the soft sound of Jennifer Saunders’s voice and her type of quiet humour – French & Sanders / Absolutely Fabulous, and more - and downloaded her audiobook Bonkers. I was surprised to learn that her husband is Adrian Edmonson, who I only remember as performing in The Young Ones, as an absolutely crazy noisy alternative comedy character, bursting through walls, demolishing everything around him. Never would I have dreamed that these two would get married, have three daughters, live a private life, not seek publicity, and get on with their lives, as ordinary people do. Wonderful!

Just saying….

Jennifer Saunders

She
Married
Him

4 Likes

Err, it’s called acting. :wink: :rofl: I knew a long time ago as he has done other things much less anarchic over the years, including some sort of travel programme in which he supposedly drove around Britain towing a Teardrop caravan.

Which is where I got the idea of buying one. :joy:

3 Likes

I was about to say the same thing! He also formed a sort of punk/folk/Rock band called the Bad Shepherds.

He’s a talented chap and very pleasant too :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Apropos of the topic title, and not wanting to add to the other France is crazy thread, I was impressed by this

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20230525-violence-risks-uncivilising-france-warns-emmanuel-macron

Aside from what I see as Macron being a responsible and engaged leader, I am interested in his having said

“We must work tirelessly to counteract this process of décivilisation ,”

I take it to mean that there is a threat to society of elements reducing it to violence and threatening the peace and prosperity of all people. I was not aware the word décivilisation has been used by the far right in terms of anti-immigration and xenophobia.

Even though M. Macron ought to have known the recent connotation of the word and possibly have used another rather than re evoking a trope, the word as correctly defined is still apt. Recent attacks on elected officials and police in violence and hate are inexcusable acts.

Saying people are fearful for their livelihoods is not enough to condone their using physical violence towards others. That is a primitive behaviour and unworthy of an educated and democratically empowered society. In that sense décivilisation is the perfect word. In English, I would have Macron say ‘we are devolving’.

It seems that the far right has used the word as a threat to the indigenous civilisations by influx of foreign immigration.

All this hatred is unworthy of a civilised people. I hope things are not going that way.

1 Like

I see this has been broadcast previously.
What a wonderful nature series focusing on Cuba. The smallest hummingbird in the world. Boas trying to snare bats at a cave entrance. Millions of hermit crabs on the move. Superb filming.

1 Like

Words. I write in a diary every day and having woken up at 7am this morning feeling extremely well, I said so in my diary and used the words ‘feeling chipper’ meaning cheerful and lively.

But why would I use the word chipper? Not in common parlance today I would have thought, and I don’t know where or how I picked up that word – but didn’t think twice about using it. My parents, from whom I picked up the English language, have never used that word that I can remember and I don’t recall anyone else I know using it.

There is a whole load of other words I use like these, but where did they come from? Books, radio, tv school? One thing they do I think is date me!

And they are words I wouldn’t speak but would only write! Puzzled!

2 Likes

I’m sure many will have come from watching old black and white films - or maybe Harry and Paul https://youtu.be/IPkCDqJOoWw

1 Like

I do like Harry & Paul and I do like watching old b&w movies, so maybe I’m influenced unconsciously and words get stored down in the memory banks.

Must be from watching tv movies when dad came home one day with a small b&w tv set in my childhood back in the early 1950s.

I think most of my rather eclectic but largely unused vocabulary must have arrived from books since I realise I don’t know how to pronounce some of them!

I just heard something said on the radio by James O’Brian - “Wizard wheezers” in relation to complainers. Rather good reworking of a combined Harry Potter reference and an old English term. Language is a living thing!

You are right, but age is getting to me and I refuse to acknowledge words like ‘woke’ or ‘meme’ which I still can’t comprehend. Every time I see them in something I’m reading I have still to look them up!

ChatGPT doen’t know what a ‘wizard wheezer’ is…but did make reference to Harry Potter…

I have just enjoyed watching the latest season of ‘Ted Lasso’ and picked up a bucket load of new American and British mainly sports related words and terms.

The television series features an American coaching a football team in London that leads merrily on to some very good examination of our mutual but completely different language and customs. Very funny. I recommend!

Isn’t it a more likely to be reworking of ‘wizard wheeze’ which is a 1950s schoolboy expression for a super marvellous cracking idea? So the ones who would have used it then as schoolchildren eg Nigel Molesworth are now ancient and probably wheezing? Esp if they are complaining.

No logical link to HP even though the Weasley twins called their shop Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes because it’s full of good inventions.

1 Like

I expect you’re right. I’ve forgotten the exact context of Mr O’Brian’s conversation but I did gather he meant grumpy old ‘uns. Perhaps the wizard prefix was because such phone-in listeners tend to think what they think is best?

I expect ChatGPT finds Harry Potter trumps all things wizardy. I imagine it makes Merlin wheeze a bit.

At the risk of upsetting @vero not in France it isn’t. :wink: Thanks to the Academie Francaise. Otherwise sensible would still mean sensible. :rofl:

I was a '50s schoolboy, and at a boarding school at that, and none of us would even dream of saying ‘wheeze’ in that context. I do agree that it appeared in popular mags of the time though.

1 Like

Baldrick could have said he has a wheeze up his sleeve or a super marvellous cracking idea but didn’t. He always had a 'cunning plan’.

1 Like

In a book I was writing about twenty years ago, I used the neologism, ‘meme’ and then spent a paragraph and a long footnote explaining the term - its relay resembles that of a gene, except the relay medium is cultural rather than than hereditary. A few years later, while still working on that same book, I deleted the para of explanation because it had become unnecessary and actually seemed patronising.

2 Likes