OBE order of the British empire and honour for contribution to the British Empire

Are you the “Walter Hunt” who posted on this topic a few months ago? @james
Why is this issue so important?
Izzy x

1 Like

what on earth has any queen’s award, real or not, got to do with life/living in France and this forum…?

Hi Izzy, I saw that exchange back then but it wasn’t me. Someone who claims to have a high military decoration, such as a British Empire Medal, which they are not entitled to is called a Walter Mitty or ‘Walt’. We suspect that David Blyth is a Walt as there is no record of him being awarded a BEM. I served in the Falklands and lost mates and was wounded. It is important to us. It can also be used to gain advantage by gaining quick trust. If he was in the US and made such claims he would be committing a Federal Criminal Offence under the Stolen Valor Act. Why was his account suspended? Ron.

Hi Eddie, We don’t believe David Blyth was awarded a BEM for service in the Falklands or anywhere else for that matter. He doesn’t appear on the Army List and no one I know has heard of him. All the best, Ron.

If someone has a nationally recognised high award of state perhaps they can gain an advantage with someone because they are trusted. If they have not got the award they claim that should ring alarm bells. It is relevant to this and any other forum. Such a discussion is designed to protect people who may be seduced and duped.

Nationally recognised in the UK, not in France. But i do agree with you on dishonesty :wink:

Not so Andrew with respect. The BEM is nationally awarded and internationally recognised just like the National Order of Merit awarded in France is recognised. I know and have served with many legionnaires who have such an award. It is an offence in most counties to make a false claim of entitlement of a high award as it not only dishonours those who have been awarded it legitimately but it may be used to gain advantage and garner trust for whatever reason. It may also damage the reputation of the forum. Regard, Ron.

The world is being ravaged by the worst public health crisis in living memory and you are stressing over a post ,on a forum ,that is eight years old Forgive me for not giving a hoot

3 Likes

You keep saying this exact sentence, but who with exactly? Is this with ex-servicemen? With the greatest respect to those in the armed forces, someone telling me they got a medal is hardly going to make me trust them more, it’s rather a “well done, thanks for your service… moving on…” and I suspect this is the case for most people under 70, and equally, while the vast majority of people who are given honours from the queen are well deserving, I think we only need to remind ourselves of Jimmy Saville KBE, Harvey Weinstein CBE, Stuart Hall OBE, Robert Mugabe KBE etc etc, as a reminder that people with a few letters after their name are not more trustworthy than those of us peasants who don’t. If Sir Mark Carleton-Smith tells me I should transfer my life savings into his bank account for him to look after and in a month he’ll send it back five fold as a thank you, the fact that he’s a decorated and well respected serviceman won’t sway me a jot from assuming he’s a crook and reporting him to the police (I’m sure he’s not, just in case his lawyers happen to find this post in 8 years time and try make a big fuss)

None of which is in any way intended to diminish or minimise the service people do for their country, or show anything other than complete respect to them, even if I personally baulk at celebrating people killing each other, even if to keep me safe, but this does very much seem like something that because it’s something you are personally invested in you’re making into something far more substantial than it actually is.

I’ve only just joined this forum and this man seems to not post here anymore so clearly can’t defend himself either way, but all your post has done is made me, an entirely neutral party, think that you’re making a rather odd, and slightly sinister if truth be told, fuss over something written almost a decade ago by someone who no longer comments, about something that is, to almost everyone, entirely inconsequential in the grand scheme of life in 2021. You’re not doing your own reputation, in my eyes at least, any good at all.

Anyway, that’s all I will say on the matter, good luck to you though.

1 Like

I’m not stressing chum but you do seem very agitated. Best you can down. It’s bad for your blood pressure. So you don’t mind a fraudster on this site posting a lie? Good for you. I’ve had CoVid and it’s bad but I believe those who steal honour to be worth outing. We don’t take a break from exposing the dishonest because of a pandemic. Why has he lied? Has he used his false claim to obtain advantage? The answer is yes. A member of this site has lost as a consequence.

What about the OBN? Farage is waiting eagerly.

He was suspended from this site that’s why he doesn’t post anymore but his false claim of a BEM for military valour still remains. Someone on this site lost out by dealing with him. They believed his patter. The claim of a BEM certainly helped establish his credentials. Stay safe.

I’m not your chum, where do you want me to put my can down?

Of course you are.

This site is being shown on many Walter Mitty sites around the world because of our chum and his claims. That’s a shame because it’s a decent and useful site. Stay safe chum.

@Ronnie are you here just for this post or is there other value in the site for you?

1 Like

@Ronnie , if you do a bit of digging on the net you can easily find David Blyth, bit surprised you haven’t done that yourself.

1 Like

I am perfectly safe thank. Still not your chum

3 Likes

Legio patria nostra

Have done.