Obtaining an 'S1' from the UK

They insist it must be the S1 or refu de S1 which I assume is the end of rights form. We’ve been here for less than a week and so far it’s just been a bit stressful because of this

Well I think you have to be resident for 3 months to qualify for healthcare so I wouldn’t worry yet. Do you have health insurance privately? We were asked for a copy of our private health insurance.

These are the contact details

Department for Work and Pensions
Overseas Healthcare Team
Room MO135
Durham House
WASHINGTON
NE38 7SF
England

Phone: +44 191 218 1999

If you are working then you should have access to healthcare because of that, and because of paying your cotisations. Your partner won’t be able to join health services for 3 months if not working, so will have to rely on his EHIC card until then.

After 3 months, when you do start the formal process you may be asked to prove that you have had health cover via private insurance for those 3 months. I wasn’t asked, but in many areas they have tightened up the formalities now.

1 Like

I think some offices will take an EHIC which seems odd when you also have to provide a document which says you have no health cover.

These mysteries are sent to try our patience and perseverance :rofl:

1 Like

I tried to have a conversation with CPAM officer which went along the lines of:

So in France all residents have a right to apply to join healthcare system?

Yes

But you will only consider my application once I’ve been here 3 months?

Yes

So does that mean that I’m not a resident for first 3 months, so still effectively resident in the UK in the UK health system? (i.e. sub-text …and entitled to keep using my EHIC rather than private insurance)

You will have to ask the UK about that.

But don’t I have to be resident somewhere?

Silence.

1 Like

Had a similar conversation, although a different subject.

They told us to go away (politely) and come back after a year - after which time, it would be obvious that we did intend to stay in France permanently. :thinking:

I wonder if too many folk get started “too soon”, change their minds and go off somewhere else - and this is why the 3 month marker has been made.

1 Like

I do think the uk should agree to cover your healthcare for the first 6 months whilst applications are in process.

Just had a really helpful chat with the Overseas Healthcare Team, able to talk through all the options. Select ‘5’ on the phone menu at +44 191 218 1999 - as described above.

Andrew

Hello
I am french. I have been living in the UK for 14 years and now have spent the last three years in France with some returns to the UK sometimes.
I do have a carte vitale but wonder, as all my accounts are in the UK, if I can keep my accounts and flat in the UK and get my treatments reimbursed by the NHS at all?
I’ve been to the GP in France a few times and have paid for all the treatments, sometimes it is expensive.
Should I get private health insurance or just use my Carte Vitale.
The question is more about being french and living in France and paying taxes in the UK for now.
Any help?

NHS treatment is residence based, so legally only available to UK residents. The exception is people who are getting a UK state pension which shows they have paid in sufficient years to the UK national insurance system.

How come you are paying taxes in the uk?
Are you not making income declarations in France if you live here?
Are you a posted or cross border worker, are you doing work for a uk employer from France?
The situation as you describe it sounds very irregular. The EU healthcare directive is designed to ensure that this situation can never arise - if you follow the rules.

I own a company in UK and receive dividends. I travel a lot and work with clients worldwide. I live in places but do not work with local ones…

You must be resident somewhere surely, even if you travel a lot? And where you are resident is where you pay your taxes and health cover. Unfortunately french and UK residency requirements don’t quite match so you can get into a mess with ending up effectively being “resident” in both countries - and in those cases it is often your nationality that decides where you are deemed to be resident.

If you get dividends form UK company that is investment income which should be taxed in France if you are a french resident.

Hello Damien

Why don’t you contact the NHS and ask them about your Health Care???

Their website is quite clear, but if you are thinking of a way to circumvent things, then ask them if it will work.

As for being French and living in France - surely it is easier for you to understand the French Health System than most immigrants… However, if you are really still not sure - why not ask at CPAM and they will set you straight.

The French Tax folk are very approachable - they are always willing to help with advice (which is free!)…

Best of luck

I understand. I will then get an appointment with an accountant in France in order to get advice and how to proceed. My situation is irregular, so I may need to get it right.
Thank you!

This should help with the healthcare issue

or

The directive aims to cover every possible situation so hopefully you will identify with one of the sets of circumstances illustrated.

Tax is a separate issue.

Hi I wonder if anybody can offer some S1 form advice?
We have lived in France for 10 years and have had a Carte Vitale for most of them via the S1 form.
We have two children who have always been covered under my husbands form.
For 2 years we have had no reimbursements for the children and the carte vitale will to work for them/
CPAM have asked fr an S1 form for the children yet the DWP say they don’t give them for children.
I have spoken with CPAM today and now they want a form or letter confirming the ending of the children rights in the uk. Does anybody know what this means?
The children were both born in France and I don’t understand why they have changed the system.
Any help or advice would be great.
Many thanks
Louise

How old are the children? Have they perhaps become too old to be classed as your dependents?

They are age 6 and 9!