Odd Comments

Carrefour in Narbonne had Rose’s marmalade last month. I’m not sure if it was lime or lemon and lime.

Is that all margarines? Or just the whale oil and tallow varieties?
Some pure veggie margarines seem quite acceptable to me.

Edit…I was talking bobbins. Sorry.

Lemon and lime is still in production.

They aren’t margarine, though. That was my, admittedly pedantic, original point.
Margarine has specific ingredients, fat content etc.
What is colloquially referred to as margarine is now generally termed a ‘spread’.
I’m not sure where ‘dripping’ fits in. :face_savoring_food:

If we are all being pedantic (hopefully in the best possible way, :grinning_face:) then surely, what is now commonly called a “spread” is really still margarine ?

Wikipedia explains the evolution of margarine quite well

1 Like

Ah, bread and dripping. Those were the days.

1 Like

I still like a mucky fat sandwich, a rare treat.

1 Like

Toast and dripping, lovely! I would happily eat that today.
It is exactly what it says it is.

OK, not a lot of it, and not too often but it is a straight, unprocessed (apart from cooking) animal product.

Lovely term, I’m gonna steal that.

2 Likes

And replying to myself I am wrong: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1967/1867/pdfs/uksi_19671867_en.pdf
Some spreads are lower in fat than margarine, by UK legal definition. They are not margarines

It was always called that in Yorkshire, as kids we weren’t allowed to call it that or eat at home, thankfully a school mates Mum had no problem serving it up.

Just saw Franglais last post.
Cancelling reply.

1 Like

You must have been posting as I was admitting my error.

1 Like

Don’t malaprop it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

As a child, I read about bread and dripping, but didn’t properly understand what dripping was, so I bought some lard and made a sandwich…
It wasn’t pleasant. I presume beef dripping with bits in is required . See ‘stovies’.

1 Like

Dripping, either beef or chicken, always had a large jelly component in my experience. The lard component floats over the jelly. Spread the jelly but not too much of the lard.
Lard alone would not be good.

GOOD news on the TV question. YES you can use your main UK home’s licence to cover a second home. This is the relevant extract/link : TV licensing site. It says you’re allowed to watch (UK) TV in your maison secondaire on a Laptop/device without the need for a (2nd) licence. But be aware there’s another rule that says that at the same time there must be no one in your main home. Usefully, the rule appears silent as to the actual location of 2nd home. Of course you’ll still need to overcome the limited overseas access to some UK TV services. For that you may still need a VPN or the better digital tunnel service; we have one that’s worked perfectly for over 5 years. Can’t name it on SF but message me if you want details.

If you really want to be cheesed off by the Licensing Laws, here’s a question for you “Having left family at your UK home, have you watched BBC TV on your “phone” when waiting at a UK port?” Are you breaking the Licensing laws? The fine for which is £1,000

1 Like

@survive15 it depends where they make it. Other British foods are still sold in other markets even if not the UK and not made in UK. Milo, I think, is one.

WTF is a “digital tunnel service” if it’s not a propitiatory name for a VPN which is dressed up to look like something that it isn’t?

1 Like

Well it specifically states that the equipment must be “devices powered solely by their own internal batteries (i.e. it is not connected to an aerial or plugged into the mains)”

And you have to fill in a “Non-simultaneous use declaration form”.

So not very much used for 2nd home owners in France.