I’ve never heard of Milo before now. Wikipedia says it’s like Ovaltine.
Roses lime marmalade was made in the UK, by Histon, as in the link I posted. I don’t know where else. Production there has ceased. According to wikipedia the Rose’s brand was bought out by Schweppes in 1957 , I don’t know where Histon fits into the timeline. Their office is in Leeds but they are part of the Hain Daniels Group which is a subsidiary of Hain Celestial (UK). (Does it never end? ) Hain also make Hartley’s and Frank Cooper products. Long live independent producers, not many left. So unless Lime Marmalade (Rose’s) is being produced elsewhere and being imported to EU or UK, we won’t see it again.
Everyone I knew used beef dripping not lard, much nicer.
Those ‘spreads’ are the devil’s work and to be shunned.
Dripping, now… delicious. You get it in German and Danish restaurants along with butter and sometimes savoury whipped cream along with your bread (prob others but not seen with own eyes).
Lard is lovely, essential in lots of Chinese and Viêt things, schmaltz is useful sometimes…
Olive oil can be a spread I suppose, squish a garlic clove into a jamjar, add a bayleaf and a twig of rosemary and thyme, top up with olive oil and stick it in the fridge. After a while it will solidify a bit and you can either eat it with a spoon like a pig (I do) or put it on pain grillé. Stir it before you use it.
Always on a monday for breakfast with fresh bread from the local bakery. The Sunday roast being the reason why before it got used for baked spuds the following Sunday. Pork dripping with the flavour of roasted onions in it, Turkey or chicken with a lot of jelly and beef which was the hardest and very little jelly. All needed a sprinkle of salt but by god, was it good and it never did us any harm as we were very skinny back then, if I ate it today I would be on that 600lb programme most likely although I doubt it would taste the same and worries about health would prevail from eating it too
More and more chippy’s in the North are returning to frying in dripping, soooo much nicer, not as greasy as chips fried in oils and they’re finding their takings increasing substantially.
Yes I worked for Cadbury Schweppes a long time ago when they owned Rose’s Marmelades. Heaven only knows where Rose’s ended up being owned as you say.
Suffice it to say that by alert observation over many years I’ve seen beloved UK products long disappeared in the UK, still available in places like Africa and Asia. I suppoae it also depends if some locals adopted colonial tastes. Then parallel imported to the UK (if we’re lucky) or other players like Universal Foods that do have things clearly from somewhere else as no longer marketed in the UK.
Rose’s Marmelade particularly the lime would be an ideal example of this sort of product as it has a following not just in the UK. Time will tell I guess.
The Tiptree Lime and other citrus marmelades of theirs aren’t bad if you can catch when batches are released meanwhile.
In the south of Spain they were serving a mid morning toastado with a very fatty/lardy sort of pork rillettes with large lumps of garlic in. Delicious.
I already drink olive oil with tomato juice of a morning, I must try your thing on toast.
You must have very dexterous pigs in your area.
I don’t think there is a UK version of Milo, only Aussie, SA and Asian, one of which, can’t remember, has milk powder so you just add water. My poor kids were devastated when I accidentally bought it.
Digital tunnel was used as a simpler description for Layer 2 Tunnelling Protocol, aka L2TP. Normally provided with IPSec and a Fixed IP. Main use is as a direct connection hence ideal for use with a device to watch a streaming/TV site. IP address would not be one previously used on a VPN so L2TPs rarely encounter blocking. Proof is over 5 years of constant unblocked viewing of UK TV for multiple expat customers living in France. The provided link fully explained the need for no mains connections (Laptops/tablets OK) and no simultaneous use at the user’s main UK residence. Perfect for 2nd home owners in France - who when in France leave UK home empty
Less usefully, the BBC is explicit that iPlayer can’t be used overseas. Don’t get me wrong, I’m quite happy to use iPlayer in France but let’s not try to kid ourselves that there’s some clever second home loophole.
I live outside the UK. Can I use BBC iPlayer?
No. BBC iPlayer is funded by the UK TV licence and its use is restricted to UK residents only.While you can’t watch TV programmes, here’s a list of services you can use if you live outside the UK:
BBC radio content via the BBC.com app or BBC Audio
BBC Podcasts
BBC News
BBC Sport
BBC Three YouTube channel
Some features or content may be restricted to the UK for rights or legal reasons.If you’re in the UK and planning an overseas trip, you can download programmes on your tablet or phone before you go. Have a look at our How can I watch programmes when I’m offline? page for more information.
There is nothing inherent in L2TP tunnels which means that they are less likely to be blocked - the content provider only sees IP packets apparently originating from some endpoint in the UK and does not know what tunnelling protocol got them there.
So, this is a commercial enterprise of yours?
I would guess that if you are using one IP address per client (or small group) and using a “normal” UK business ISP for your UK internet connection, then you are simply too small for content providers to spot - that’s how I’d do it if I had a client list in the 10’s or low 100’s - it doesn’t scale though so, if you are OpenVPN or Nord or Surfshark your endpoints are very easy to spot and block.
FWIW I’ve used PPTP, L2TP(no IPSEC) and now Wireguard for connectivity to me French place - my least favourite is L2TP but that isn’t because of the protocol per se, but to do with issues around spotting when the link has died - and that’s an implementation specific issue not a protocol issue.
I can still get BBC R3 FM on my car radio parked outside in Calvados, though my portable FM radio can’t seem to receive it. Maybe an extension aerial will get it. R4 LW is now a memory unfortunately.
I do find on French radio they need someone like Paxman to shut them up occasionally. Endless monologues…
I still fund the BBC licence but still not able to watch I-player in France despite logging in with all the details required. Stupid BBC
198 LW…happy days.
Never a hi-fi service, but understandable speech radio for many miles.
In a vehicle I don’t want concert hall acoustics, just enough to sing along with or to shout at.
As an aside I remember ( I think I remember) hearing Week Ending late on a Friday evening after Desert Storm launched with the opening lines “Peace Ending…” and after Dunblain it opened with “…most of the week’s news…”.
I just ask Alexa to play either Radio1,2,4 or 5 Live and it comes through loud and clear with no problems
I had a student friend whose father worked for CS. He used to bring products that they were trying out. One was instant tea. Unsurprisingly it didn’t catch on.
That’s better than having sinister pigs …
Hahaha
genius
Talking of jam, as some are, it reminds me of my youth when helping in my grandparents grocery supply stores.
Robinsons jam was very popular, I will not name the little chap they used to advertise the jam but at the time a small paper cutout of him could be found tucked under the label on the jar. If you collected 10 then you sent them off to Robinsons and they rewarded you with an enamel lapel pin on badge of the little chap.
Needless to say many jars left the shop without the effigy consealed beneath the label.
I am sure there must have been many young disappointed customers searching in vein for him, unlike me and my siblings who all proudly wore our enamel brooches.
Moving on to my construction college days, in the refectory for mid morning break, slices of warm toast were available and on the counter was a help yourself bowl of beef dripping which we would lace our toast with making sure there was an even mix of dripping and the fantastic brown beef jelly that lay under the lard topping.
Warm black dag with onions was another treat, again spread on toast. Us northerners were spoilt!
Black dag = black pudding.