Odd Comments

Yes the original PG Tips instant tea (that had milk integrated) did catch on - a Unilever product - but the Cadbury Schweppes one bombed. So did the later milkless version of the PG Tips instant.

We used the PGTips instant a lot on trips to France but wouldn’t have touched its successor with a barge pole. They couldn’t even give it away in markets in London where some ended up.

You were a ratbag with the golliwogs JohnBoy :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll take that, a term often used in my time.
Not sure I agree with what AI gives as its meaning though:
A ratbag is an informal slang term for a mischievous, annoying, or unpleasant person
Mischievous - yes, annoying - perhaps to some, but unpleasant - surely not xx

1 Like

That’s the AI meaning. In the real world it’s a term of endearment used mischievously for humorous effect.

4 Likes

Now that makes me feel better :+1:

1 Like

Good grief… “ratbag” is bandied about in my family … never meant in a bad way, it’s a joking gentle reprimand if in disagreement.. (that sort of thing)
and I might well have used it on this forum (shock horror).

and the word “scum!” is used within the family… recalling the Midsommer murders/similar TV episode when “scum” was said with such feeling by a teacher (in artistic expression…). We collapse with laughter recalling that particular episode. :rofl:

3 Likes

It’s a term of affection JohnBoy.

Often used to my cat too when he’s misbehaving. If that makes you feel better. Or worse :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I call my youngest, a cheeky little ratbag and I love him.

2 Likes

Odd Comments in our family friendly vocabulary :rofl:

Lying Toad
Rotter
Ratbag
Scum
Lazy Beggar
Filthy Pig
You Swine
Gluttonous Wotzit
Daft Ape
Gordon Bennett
Little Monkey
and many, many more… said with all sorts of accents/emphasis :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Some of my family ones

Gutbucket All fur coat and no knickers Daft apath Filthy so and so “I’ll tan yer arse”
Many more also with us having thick Bucks/Oxon yokel accents especially my dad who sounded like Gerald from Clarkson’s Farm sometimes but we understood perfectly especially when he was angry

1 Like

If you have a uk tv licence then you are watching iplayer legally - in my opinion - even if you are abroad. So how to access? Use a VPN like Surfshark on a phone, tablet or laptop/pc. Then an HDMI cable to your TV. Theoretically there is mirroring or airplay but I’ve always found the cable easier and more reliable.

1 Like

Exactly, other platforms allow you to use your account wherever you are.

There are some rumours that the BBC are pushing to scrap the current licence and instead levy a charge to your broadband account. That’s going to upset a lot of people if they get their way.

is that short for “daft ha’porth”? :slight_smile: (aka halfpenny-worth)

3 Likes

:rofl: nope… never heard your version. :thinking:

One word I often bellow at motorists is “plonker”… which I borrowed from Only fools and horses and I reckon that word covers all sorts of “forbidden-swearings” :wink: if I say it with enough vehemence :rofl: :rofl:

Ref BBC When we are in France I use a UK Firestick with a VPN - a bit slow and clunky but allows me access to loads of UK TV without a problem

1 Like

That’s the thing about opinions, we can all have one but they don’t change the facts. Legal or illegal, who knows but definitely outside of the licensing terms and conditions of the BBC.

1 Like

Given how the BBC have millions avoiding licence fees in the uk, it’s hard to see how they could ever chase anyone outside the uk, let alone prove it when the connection is via a vpn. Even if they did, if you were able to show that you had a licence it would be a tough case.

1 Like

With no financial loss to the Beeb indeed it would be a tough one and expensive for the Beeb. Meanwhile the law of unfair contract could come into play, you are paying for a service and other providers prove it’s indeed possible via the log in.

Currently their lawyers are a bit busy with a 10 billion lawsuit

I’m not disputing any of that, I just don’t get the need to try to justify it as being legal/morally justifiable or whatever. If people want to circumvent the constraints then crack on but there’s no need to try to rationalise it.

1 Like

I thought about the unfair contract terms too. You have paid for a service. Why should it matter where you are.