Oh What A Surprise!

Why has my link to the NY Times article been removed and why does it say that I removed it?

I suggested that he did exactly that yesterday but, for some reason, my link has disappeared.

My, David you’ve kept out this a time by your standards. The point I’m making is that the decision is made and you have to make the best of it in whatever you believe.
As for living in France I have property and use it for 4 months a year on average for holidays. But find the expats mainly strong lefties, myself, I tend to be more towards the centre right not that it matters.
You David complain about everything so I expected your input. As an expat myself I study what goes on very carefully from all sides as there are great changes all around the world. You have to go with it or you end up like King Canute.
Why the anti British feel, can’t understand it, wanting Britain to fail and collapse. I would never wish this on the EU, I hope it will survive but doubt it will, times have changed and the EU hasn’t changed with the times.

I thought I recognised the name. Centre right you must be joking. I’m probably more centre right than you.

I can assure you I have plenty of experience in Europe having travelled around it for work etc the last 40 years having homes in France Belgium and Rome. I also happen to be Chairman of a large International Company so as you can imagine I watch very closely whats happening in Europe. Also I do not own a home in the UK.
I think I have enough experience, also I do not read English news papers.
My summing up is Italy is in a dire state with uncontrolled immigration from Baltic States, Russia, and the boat people coming from everywhere. Italy is starting to look very third world around the Rome and Naples area. Crime is worse than ever, demonstrations in Milan. Wages not rising but taxes are even middle classes are starting to worry now.

France is still losing money and the debt is getting out of control, worrying that the main debt is with China. France needs drastic reform but thats not going to happen as the French basically enjoy life as it is. How France manages to pay all the pensions alone is amazing seeing people in government jobs leave early with big pensions.

Living in Ghent and talking to Belgium people they are being fed a lot of propergander from the EU as you would expect and the jokes about Little Britain and how we want to go back to the Stone Age.

Despite what people think, Britain has a strong PM who will deliver at the end of the day. As this is going to happen I cant understand why people don’t get behind the decision to ensure a complete success which would also lead Europe out of the depression that a lot of member states have, especially the Latins.

Only a week ago a German economist was says the Euro may have to be 2 tier. The Germans are the real winners, accept for Britain which has the the fastest growth and forecasted to be the highest even through Brexit. Also very low unemployment. After Brexit Britain will still welcome people for work from all over the world as they do now. The difference will be less economic migrants so they know who is coming in. Europeans are wanting this now, like Austria, Sweden and Hungary which have closed borders already. I was in Budapest with business people 2 weeks ago, interesting listening to their views, I think many would like to be out of the EU like a lot of other countries. Maybe even France.

Well as they say, what’s sauce for the goose

It’s just as well it’s not an improper gander that they’re expected to eat :grinning:

2 Likes

Pretty comprehensive reply and cv. Frankly I’m amazed that with all your travels and experience you’re unable to appreciate how Brexit affects UK immigrants living in France. Stunning.

2 Likes

I think that GW is the same poster who, three weeks after the refendum, was telling us how he had seen his business’ profits increase after restructuring since the vote. He obviously does not live in the same world that I inhabit.

2 Likes

I firmly think that we would be better off in the EU and are taking a huge gamble in leaving. I suspect that there will be an enormous amount of effort required just to stand still and even as “just” a holiday home owner am wondering what the Brexit fall out will be. I am sure that many who are resident or work in France are quite anxious about the future.

But, equally, May’s stance might be the only rational one. There is an old joke that the herd instinct amongst stock market traders makes sheep look like independent thinkers - certainly many economic ups and downs are more to do with feelings and sentiment as anything and you can get massive feedback effects as everyone rushes out of (or into) a particular asset or market sector.

Given that it is all about perceptions grumbling that we’re all doomed and it’s all going to be a failure will tend to be a self fulfilling prophecy.

Similarly, it is clear that the EU will not want Britain to be better off (in terms of trade with the EU) once out than it was when a member because there is a real fear that other nations could make the decision to leave if we are.

Thus going for a “soft” Brexit is impossible - both politically at home because it will require too many concessions and on a wider scale because we will be seen to “lose” in the negotiations.

If we go for a hard Brexit and saying we will go for no deal over a bad deal May is attempting to set out a position where we cannot do worse than expectations.

So I don’t think May has any option but to put a brave face on it and reassure the children that all will be well.

We also have to factor in the possibility that Le Pen could win the election. This is no longer impossible although I think it remains improbable. The trouble is that the run-off will almost certainly be Le Pen vs Filon or Macon and i don’t think I would care to bet on either seeing her off. If she does win that will really upset the apple-cart and I find the prospect distinctly more worrying than Brexit at the present time.

1 Like

I just don’t like being used as a pawn by my home nation. Sickening and makes me feel very angry - and I guess sad at the same time.

Well Simon I very much doubt there will be any change, far more French are in England than English in France. Mrs May will not eject people that are working from other countries, quite the contrary with the British expansion we will need more workers. Therefore France will agree no change, common sense the last thing they want is massive influx of French. Especially with the high unemployment that already exists in France. Plus the much love Hollande will be sent off to Brussels for him to carry interfering and meddling with Europe for an even bigger salary. Can’t see him selling his Memoirs for a fortune.

I’m sure that the new French Parliament will want to keep the status quo. Remember I live in Europe and I have had many talks with business people and influential persons that cannot see any change for British abroad. Of course we have all seen the total crap thats coming out of other country’s like Spain, hospitals refusing to help people or the best one is to send all Brits back home. That would slow there economy a bit. Especially in a post Brexit Europe if Spain wanted nothing to do with Britain, economic suicide for a country which is struggling and trying to attract tourists. This fear campaign is so strong people believe it, nobody wants to rock the boat in Europe its bad for both sides.

2 Likes

Oh thank goodness @geof_whitnall - it’s great to know all will be ok! Thanks for sorting it all out :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s so reassuring don’t you think Simon?

3 Likes

It’s like a weight has been lifted - almost a cathartic moment :wink:

4 Likes

British expansion?

Well how can it not expand, with all that hot air being blown into it

4 Likes

Anytime Simon you have a problem let me know, I have no problems, just solutions.

Good luck with them. You will certainly need it!

LA LA Land
(not the film!)

Oh that was straight out of the Management for Dummies Little Book of ClichĂ©. If you are what you say you are Geoff you need to work out a different script. That response to Simon was definitely a face-palm moment. “Bring me sunshine in your smile. Give me laughter all the while.”

2 Likes