OMG weasels in the garden

Very unlikely to see a wolverine as wrong continent and anyway I bet they get a bad press. I LOVE otters, otters are fab, who hasn’t cried their eyes out over Tarka the otter and Ring of Bright Water, if I could adopt a load of esp Asian otters I would, total sweetness.
And sea otters, aren’t they just marvellous?
But weasels are heaven, wonderful little savage faces.
I met a fab old ferret man called Dick Nutt at the Game Fair once, mesmerising.

1 Like

Ive probably put this up before, but these are in my garden🙂

6 Likes

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: oh how I envy you!

I’m totally rubbish on IDing UK / French wildlife. Much easier in Oz! Birds so loud and colourful, much easier :rofl: Kookaburras, Galahs, Lorikeets ect. IH and what’s that at the bottom of the garden? A kangaroo :rofl:

1 Like

How did the Galah become a term of mild abuse, can’t remember ever seeing one, do they behave in a ridiculous manner or something? :rofl:

My friend on the outskirts of Perth once sent me pictures of a group of Kangaroos which regularly visited his garden. :grinning:

1 Like

Weasels have a black brush at the end of their tails, I’d keep giving the little devils water and hope they don’t eat poison

Galahs love playing and will hang from the cables making you think they are tangled up, but no! Just playing! Galah playing with handle - Bing video One of my favourite Aussie birds.

1 Like

Now I’m sure I’ve never seen one Anne, couldn’t forget that could I? No wonder they have given their name to jokers. :rofl:

I don’t think that these are weasels, Pamela, or stoats - they look like ‘fouines’, the French name for the Pine Marten. Very common in France, although in my area (the SW) they don’t have the white fronts found further north in Europe - which seems to be the case with yours in the photo. They are nothing to worry about - but they do like to get in under the roof of the house for shelter, and may leave their smelly droppings. They are nocturnal.

David, unless you never left the confines of Sydney you would have seen them!

My understanding is that the term ‘you bloody galah’, to mean a bit of an idiot, is because they don’t move off the road, especially at harvest time when wheat gets spilt on the road!

Just watched the video and that one is very pink! They are often much paler that.

1 Like

Travelled throughout New South and Vic, as well as from Darwin to the West and down through the Alice and SA to Melbourne. As well as all the way up the Q coast to Townsville, where I lived for a time, I obviously didn’t have my eyes properly open. :rofl:

1 Like

Thank you Michael. I am horrified Brico sells poison to kill them. Is it usual to see two together? Could they be Mr and Mrs?

How my Post on my non weasels tranmuted into galahs I do not know but that’s the joy of this site. People go off piste. Now . Oz. Galahs. I spent time with friends who had a lake side or was it river side spread in Newcastle NSW. She had successive generations of galahs nesting in her trees. Been feeding them since forever. Happy memories. When we were at Beauval my OH said hello to them. Nothing. I said bonjour they chirped bonjour back. A passer by said did i just hear what I think I heard?

1 Like

Poisons of various sorts are available to kill many things, animals, insects, plants…
It’s sad but true.

I doubt that they will be Mr & Mrs - looks more like a mum with one of this years litter, born about 3 months ago. She will mate again during the current 3 months (June/August) - but is one of those mammals who then keep the fertilised egg for many months before it is implanted in the uterus; around 7 months in the case of the fouine. This enables her to avoid a birth in the middle of serious winter weather. The males stay on their own, apart from mating (which is quite noisy, and lasts for about an hour!).
I don’t know why anyone would kill them. They are omniverous, but consequently their poo is very smelly, and they leave it around their bed. In my last village, the local ‘pest-man’ never poisoned them , he would set up a humane trap in the roof space, and then remove his catch for release many km away. The simplest way to get rid of them is either to leave a very low watt lightbulb on permanently 'till they vacate; or spray mothballs around their nest area- they hate them!

I’ll never forget the stench of a fox’s den… a learning curve during Cub Camp one year…

And if you do happen to forget, then the dog is usually happy to remind you!!!:face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

We think so too.
They attack poultry and exsanguinate them, we know from experience.

1 Like

Ah, yes, Stella! - those unwashed but ready Boy Scouts! . . . but then, I was brought up near Beaulieu in the New Forest, so the Scouts didn’t escape either.

1 Like