One for someone intimate with French taste - Vero?

Coquille St Jacques.

It is said that Americans detest the Scallop coral, the English treat them as an adventure and the French regard them as a delicious delicacy….

If I were to make individual portions for an apero treat where ⅞ persons are French, should I:

1. Go ahead and leave the corals on, or
  2. Ask beforehand if they prefer no corals?

Crazy question I know. For me a coral-less scallop is not worth looking at, but I have been told by someone (who voted brexit :face_vomiting:) that corals are never served in polite circles…

Leave the corals on, but snip the membrane so those who detest them can politely feed them to the cat/dog/houseplant if really too much. They don’t do much for me, but if served them I eat them as it’s not like serving a vegetarian foie gras and snails (which happens often to OH).

Frozen scallops (not bad) are available with or without coral - but the former are much cheaper, so even if your scallops aren’t frozen ones, leave the coral on. Your guests don’t have to eat that bit and it looks far more attractive.

I think American attitudes to shellfish depends on where people are from - East coast and West coast will generally eat anything - inbetweeners - hmmm…

Remove the coral, sluw dry it in the oven and finely grind it. Best addition to seafood dishes. Increases depth of flavour imnensely.

1 Like

Interesting suggestion, but it bypasses the guests, many of whom may enjoy the coral and might even think less of the host for being served scallops without the coral…

I like the coral myself so I wouldn’t take it off. I think though that making it easy to separate probably caters for people who aren’t keen :slightly_smiling_face:

Love it all and living for many years where they are traditionally fished every year, we ate them regularly when in season and buying direct off the boats down in the local port. Always had cleared plates of both coral and meat and very good with bacon as well or cooked in cream and whisky.