Opening UK bank account while resident in France

Yes, we too have our original account in the UK. No problems with this account, as you say, no interest to speak of, however we are absolutely stuck with this bank and despite wanting to move banks , we can’t for all the reasons given in this discussion. Very annoying. May try the joint account route next time we are back. We wish we had kept the friend’s address that we had on our account for a while till we moved here permanently. Nobody told us that we had no obligation to change to the French address on the account whilst resident here in France.

We still have the bank accounts that we used when resident in Blighty. Most of my pensions & rental income are paid into them. The bank is aware we live in France & gives us the same service as if we lived in England. Mind you I'm not surprised as there is normally a largish cash balance paying us naff all interest:-)

I do wish that people could be advised of this when leaving the UK as I have heard this story so many times now. Like most other people I maintained my UK account and have had no problems.

This may not be relevant as its not Europe, but my youngest son has been resident in Dubai for 3 years, he closed his UK bank account when he moved and has been told its not possible to open a new bank account in the England as he is not resident. My daughter, also living in Dubai, has maintained her current account since she left the UK, around 8 years ago and has no problems, the bank is aware she is resident in abroad.

I did just that. Asked my local Credit Ag and she gave me the name of the Credit Ag in London. But really its more for investors not for little people. Anyhow, the french don't need a UK account, after all, when you are abroad you go to the hole in the wall and get out cash, easy. I have an account with an Irish bank in Dublin and I asked them if I could have a sterling account. Yes I can, but its a sort of facility account, to get paid in sterling and then the money would have to be converted into my current account (euros) before I could use it, so not really a solution. I'm still waiting (since early February) for the ok from a UK bank to open a joint account with my son who is a UK resident.

Have been thinking this one over and have a possible different solution. London is reckoned to be France´s sixth largest city worldwide with a lot of French expats living in the Kensington/Knightsbride area. I know, for a fact, that all the major high street French banks (can´t confirm about their regional banks) have a strong presence in London and various branches. Why not approach your French bank and other French banks and explain to them that you would also like to open an account with their UK branch? If, and I know it is a big if, they will open a UK account on your behalf, you will have a fully recognised UK bank account albeit with a non UK name above the doors. Hope that this might help and good luck.

Several years ago I had the same issue and was told by the UK bank to open an account in Guernsey, which I did with HSBC. I have since closed it, but I think that to all intents and purposes it operated (at the time) like a UK account for cheques/transfers etc.

Perhaps that's an option? I believe most UK banks have branches in the Channel Islands, so you could try Jersey/Guernsey.

Look here https://wealth.barclays.com/

as I remember a copy of Passport certified by a Notaire, proof of address, Bank statement from a French Bank , forms and details are available on line

Hi Kieth, would you mind telling us what documents you sent them by post?

cheers

geoff

Hi Alex

Try the following link and scroll down to Q2.5 which deals with this query and has several threads on the subject.

I have not read them all, myself, but there might be an idea or two in there.

http://boards.fool.co.uk/faq-january-2014-12953512.aspx

You may have to register, especially if you want to ask further questions, but its free and there are very useful money tips for expats on the site as well as general financial advice.

Hope it helps.

Hi Alex, opened a/c on line and by Phone, sent requested docs by mail,have chequebook, debit card and online banking facilities, Haven't been in UK for 14 years.

Hi Keith thanks for that. Did you try Barclays Cash Card Account? Apparently you have to visit a UK branch to set it up.

After the death of my wife I needed a GBP a/c to accept a pension payment that could only be made in GBP.

approached Co-op in Guernsey and opened an a/c with them, all went well for 12 months and then they closed the branch. approached various other offshore banks and finally succeeded in opening an a/c with Barclays on I.O.M. this entails maintaining a balance of £5K and paying £10 PCM for the usage thereof, but still cheaper than paying French banks to convert to Euros

I'm off to see HSBC near Toulouse on Thursday so I'll probably find out how expensive / impossible it is then :-)

Thanks Chris I'll look into that

Thanks Brian, that's exactly what I'm going to do on Thursday near Toulouse. I've emailed your Lyon link to see if, in theory they can help but I expect they won't say without a meeting.

Has anyone checked with the UK Consulate? I'm sure they've dealt with this before. Perhaps they can help. There might even be info on their website.

Hi Debra the HSBC thing is interesting. I spoke to two different HSBC people yesterday and was told that if I set up an HSBC account in France that they will set up a UK account for me as part of a scheme called Global View which is a money transfer product. I'm taking every piece of ID and fiscal things in my possession and am quite prepared to be let down. Have you actually tried Barclays?

I've tried this recently, and failed for the same reasons listed above.

The only workaround I have found is to open a Sterling account with the CIC, enabling me to slightly reduce the cost of transferring pounds to the UK.

I agree with everyone - money laundering rules are preventing us from getting on with our lives.

Jacquie

You get points on Experian for having UK bank accounts, loans, mortgages etc too. Here's what they say they check.

Account information

A view of credit accounts you’ve had and whether you’ve made repayments on time and in full. Items such as missed or late payments stay on your credit report for at least six years, as do court judgments for non-payment of debts, bankruptcies and individual voluntary arrangements.

Linked Accounts

Address details

A view of electoral roll (electoral register) information for your current address and previous addresses you provide when you apply. It also contains details of any other addresses you’ve been linked to in the last six years, such as those you’ve given to lenders on application forms.

Linked Accounts

Financial connections

A list of the people with whom you have a financial connection, such as a joint mortgage - they are known as your financial associates. Their credit history doesn’t appear in your credit report. However, when you apply for credit, lenders are able to look at their credit history also, as their circumstances could affect your ability to repay what you owe.

Credit report information sources

Information in your credit report comes from two major sources:

• Public information - This includes electoral roll information and court judgments.
  • Credit history information - Many lenders share information on what you owe, and whether you’ve paid on time. You agree to this as part of any application for credit. Some lenders only contribute information on accounts that have defaulted, but these days most share monthly updates on all customers.

Important reasons for checking your credit report

1. Changing jobs or home - Lenders are not the only people who can check your credit history. With your permission, prospective landlords and employers can see parts of your credit report, so it can also affect your job prospects and chances of renting a home.
  2. Applying for credit - If you are thinking of opening a new credit account, it makes sense to review your credit report first and make sure that everything is accurate and up to date. If there is an error, contact the organisation responsible with proof and arrange to get it corrected.
  3. Protecting against ID fraud - Monitoring your credit report can offer protection from one of the fastest-growing crimes of the 21st century - identity fraud. This involves criminals stealing your personal information and using it to take over existing accounts or set up new accounts in your name. Keeping an eye on your credit report enables you to spot suspicious entries and deal with problems before they escalate.