Opening UK bank account while resident in France

Not that I know other than the usual costs of banking in France compared with those in the UK.

I too have enquired at Nationwide, a personal visit when I was over in the UK, and they wouldn't even let me add my husband's name to my account to make it joint. We've drawn a blank on this issue with HSBC and First Direct.

Part of the Money Laundering process I believe is to check for a credit rating when opening an account - Equifax or Experian checks are normal. This checks the Electoral roll too. When we returned to the UK for a while I wanted to have a Credit Card for my shopping to get some freebie vouchers but I failed as I wasn't on the electoral roll and didn't have any bills in my name. In the end my husband got a card but I couldn't get one.

I was told at HSBC and Nationwide that you needed to be on the electoral register before being able to open an account.

The HSBC branch with which I deal (Angouleme) told me that it was now possible to have a sterling account as HSBC Angouleme if I wanted. Did not try it though because of all their French charges.

My theory with French is that if they do not know how or whether a thing can be done, they tend to say that it cannot be done rather than going away and seeing whether it can be done.

I tried several banks in the UK to open an account but unless you have a UK address plus a utility bill, its almost impossible. Q. How do you open an account for a utility bill if you don't have a bank account?

I tried to open a joint account with my son with his bank and three months later I'm still waiting for the green light - at the time they didnt see any problem. I had to provide all sorts of id, bank statements, proof of residency in France, (Orange utility bill, as in the telephone provider in France is not acceptable as ID for some reason). Its all this money laundering issue. The real culprits find ways around it but it's the little people who get caught up in the tight security controls. Basically if you have an account in any country, never close it as it's so difficult to open another.

I suggest you try to open an account with a family member and use their address.

nope, Nationwide won't do it

Hello,

We opened an account with Barclays even though we are residents in France and I still wonder how we managed it. My husband's parents had had an account with them for something like 45 years and the young man who agreed to open an account for us made a terrible mess of the whole thing. I don't think he should have agreed to open the account in the first place.

My husband had to go to London to open the account, Barclays would not make it a joint account with my name on it even though I had given my husband my passport and a letter; on a subsequent visit to the branch , Barclays did add my name to the account.

I find them very difficult : having blocked the PIN number on our debit card, they refused to send us another PIN; they insisted we had to visit our branch in person (eventually the debit card expired, they send us a new one - another miracle - and the PIN number was still valid so we can use it again.

Barclays would not even transfer monies between our own current and our savings accounts, citing security issues.

So do give them a try and good luck !

Dominique

They have to be able to prove that they have taken steps to be certain that we are who we say we are. Which I think means paying equifax a few quid normally.

However they are also probably wary of getting involved in meeting French regulations, which is fair enough.

If we were US citizens living in Europe we would probably never manage to open a bank account, because the US taxes all its citizens earnings worldwide, and no doubt reserves the right to fine the bank for not declaring these earnings to the US Govt even though neither party ever set foot there during the timeframe in question. So you have to declare nowadays that you aren't american.

It's a nice sort of revenge, are you or have you ever been a ... . . . . citizen of the USA? (if so sod off)

Try the Nationwide Alex, they are happy for us to have a French address, but we were account holders before we moved, so that maybe the reason, but worth a shot. We have a flexaccount which gives a cheque book and full internet banking.

Hi all

We are all being screwed by Money Laundering regulations that were supposed to trap criminals, but of course do not but trap us instead.

May I make a suggestion which is for us to create a specific pressure group to approach the Treasury. We may need to contribute funds to cover costs of travel to meet with Ministers in London and possibly legal advice?

What does anyone think?

Peter S

I recently opened a savings account with Clydesdale despite residing in France.

Have you tried checking with the UK Consulate? I'm sure you're not the only ex-pat who has faced this issue. They might have a solution.

You could try HSBC, they tend to be flexible. Approach them in France first and ask about an English account. I have clients who achieved exactly that. You don't say where you are Alex but, obviously you need a large conurbation to find an HSBC branch. This site relates specifically to Lyon but gives you some information that will be helpful to you:

http://www.expat-agency-lyon.com/english/partenaires/hsbc/

Good Luck - why do they make it hard to give them money from honest people?!

Hi Alex,

Yes, have been with Natwest for 30+ years. When we moved from UK to France 4 yrs ago, we gave them our change of address and have had no problems. I contacted them about 3 years ago to set up the second account (savings) in addition to my current account.

Hi Alan

I asked about the Lloyds basic account and they said that I can't open any kind of new account with them unless I'm resident in the UK irrespective of how long I've been with them (30 years). The Post Office is an interesting idea and yes I'm pondering the family member idea too.

Hi Sarah

That's interesting. I just got off the phone to Lloyds and they've said no way unless you are UK resident for 12 months. You didn't have this problem with Natwest? Was that because you were already a customer with them?

Hi Alex,

Banks are generally reluctant to open accounts for non-residents, even if they are of that nationality.

It would probably help if you have some form of regular UK income to go in but I guess you would still have an account if that was the case.

If you're struggling then I believe that most banks have simple accounts with limited features which were created in support of being able to give everyone a bank account, eg to receive state benefits. Trying for one of these may be easier. (For what it's worth, the backdrop to this is the proportion of bad debts banks have experienced so that is the fear you need to allay I guess.)

If still having issues, do you have a family member who can open a separate account from their main one and then add you to it? Then after a while the other name can be removed.

Maybe also try the Post Office once you have tried the others (if no-one can recommend a particular bank)?

Good luck,

Alan

Hi Alex,

You mention Lloyds a couple of times in your post - do you have an existing account with them?

I am with Natwest and opened a second account with them a couple of years ago. No fuss and I make online transfers between accounts or to payees as needed.

Here is a new (to me) possibility

http://www.p2p-banking.com/countries/uk-how-to-open-a-uk-bank-account-online/

Monese It costs £4.95 per month and isn't FSCS protected so it's not a great alternative but..