Orange email hack

@davepaa I have just tried these settings on my (old) iPad and they work fine for IMAP. It also complained that the usernames and password were wrong but I (carefully) re-entered them and whilst it still complained (a little) it worked.
Perhaps just an Apple thing - the details entered mirrored what is in my Thunderbird email client on Linux which works perfectly :thinking:
The username is your email address in full (such as john.smith(@symbol)orange(dot)fr) with your password (case sensitive).

The best thing to do is to keep your personal emails out of the orange account. The trick about the changed email address is the first step hackers take to steal your identity.
NEVER use the orange account for banking or other important matters. Real honest, I do not trust orange or SFR with any of my important infos.
It might take more of an effort, but there are email accounts, that take security more serious, like protonmail!

2 Likes

this is a link to Protonmail as suggested by @Annie2

Thereā€™s a reason I run my own mail server - but itā€™s a minority sport these days.

1 Like

You are probably an expert, but for people with less knowledge protonmail will do!

I have found Tutanota to be quite good as well.

Wanted to set up a postfix server, but got bogged down in the configuration options :-/ and the paranoid fear of opening something up that would leave it vulnerableā€¦

Did the text address you by name or did it say ā€œdear customerā€? Never click on links in texts unless you are 100% sure theyā€™re from who they say theyā€™re from. Get a text like that, go to orange on your computer to check.

There are notes here and here though you probably need to be reasonably up on how email works in the first place.

I run Sendmail - itā€™s archaic but I know how to set it up.

My SynologyNAS has an email server built in but only sending/receiving small amounts these days I donā€™t see the pressing need to implement it. That said, my favourite .eu domain name is available - just need to select a suitable cheapo registrant :wink:

2 Likes

My experience is that the surname usually precedes the given name so that it reads thus grundy.solomon@orange.fr :upside_down_face:

1 Like

@ Graham Lees Whilst on the subject, this popped into my email box today with some sage adviceā€¦

My spam box has been flooded recently with lots of such rubbish. It seemed to start shortly after I followed someoneā€™s advice to accept all pop ups in links refrerring to cookies.

It did it again with your link so I read the grey stuff behind, much of which I am doing already, without accepting anything.

Coincidence or not, I donā€™t know, but I donā€™t accept anything I donā€™t want or understand anymore. :wink:

The version listed is the current one for Ubuntuā€¦ No doubt it will be updated from the repositories soon (I hardly use Chromium anyway) and prefer FireFox.