Orange fibre after first year

Our Orange fibre has been with us for a year and now the price has gone up. They had an exclusive first dibs in our commune. I expected that we’d be able switch at this point but I’m not seeing eligibility with other providers. Am I looking to soon?

Why not give some others a ring and find out,they should be able to put you straight and might make a good offer. My family decided to change from FREE last week after their particular contract had increased, they got a quote from SFR which was less first and then went back to cancel FREE who then offered them a contract even cheaper so they have stayed with FREE. I have had the same contract with them also for the past ten years with no price change and they told me actually it had increased but they were letting me continue with my original contract because I had remained loyal.

Bouygues actually called us yesterday but concluded that we weren’t yet eligible. I’ve looked at the eligibility tests on SFR and Bouygues with with the same result.

Try Sosh. Owned by Orange but generally half the cost…

3 Likes

Ours went up for the first time last year but only by one euro!

There are lots of deals but eligibility is the problem. It’s he’s gone up from 25 to 39 Euros.

Try looking on ariase.com . All you need is your existing phone number. I had issues with some of the providers own checkers, two of which said fibre wasn’t available, even though it is. One of those was RED, who I am currently with, and they’ve sent me mails to say I’m eligible but I can’t sign up or change my package online :frowning:. Ariase is accurate and will tell you what the situation is.

Orange hassled us for the last 2 years to change to fibre but we were happy with the speed that we had,then mysteriously our line went down all of a sudden and they told us it would take 3 weeks to fix,but if we changed to fibre they could do it all in 2 days,amazing that isn,t it.We were forced in to changing,we now pay an extra 20€ per month for no difference in speed whatsoever.

Hard to prove but tempting to take them to Trading Standards/Bureau de Répression des Fraudes?

I’m deeply impressed with the exercise of employee rights ‘locally’ but find consumer rights seem neglected more often than I’m used to. Strangely enough banks and companies in industries where there was previously a national monopoly, such as telecom, do seem to pull some obvious flankers.

If your fibre service is no faster than what you had before then something is clearly wrong with the installation. Have you raised this with Orange?

We had trouble with them many years ago, basically blackmail but after visit to Répression des Fraudes, it was sorted on the spot. Crooks basically!

1 Like

They’re not entitled to remove your old ADSL cable (which we found out after the installer couldn’t pull through the new fibre cable but had cut the old line in the process, and so couldn’t revert back to ADSL) so have you considered calling them and asking them to switch you back if you’re not happy with it?

How much were you paying for ADSL beforehand? Think it only cost me an additional couple of € per month.

I haven’t switched to fiber yet (installed in the village end of last year) neibours that did using Orange complain about Orange throttling back. Those on OVH have no problem with speed.

With fibre, the offer is pretty precise - I’m on 500 megabits, up and down, and that is what I get. I did introduce some inefficiency into my local network because I’ve connected my mesh WiFi to the Livebox router using powerlline adapters, simply for the convenience of positioning the main mesh node box, until I can route a proper Ethernet cable neatly. This means I ‘only’ get 170/170, but in practical terms, for what we do, it makes no difference. By ‘throttling’ - is that deliberate reduction in bandwidth, or people thinking that, when in reality it is inherent inefficiencies in their local network? I’d be surprised if throttling was required by providers over a fibre network.

1 Like

Orange must be different in different regions. I must admit we’ve had no problems with Orange/SOSH, and they’ve always been very responsive. The other week when there was some damage to the overhead lines, they immediately allocated 100gB to our phones so that we could continue using the internet by tethering. Agree with Vitesse - fibre is precise and if the correct level of speed is not there, it should be pretty easy to diagnose and get it fixed

2 Likes

I’m with @Vitesse and @ykm71 on this. Since switching to fibre 18 months ago now, I’ve not noticed any throttling or other bandwidth shenanigans going on at all. I work from home and a few times a week have to download a significant amount of data (in the order of tens of gigabytes each time).

The only issue I’ve had was with a dodgy Livebox that kept dropping the connection, which Orange just switched out.

It’s been a game changer for me, I couldn’t go back to ADSL again.

That site isn’t necessarily to be believed.

As an example, I tested it using my landline number & it returns a result saying we’re only eligible fo 5,3mbps via ADSL, & no fibre.

In reality we already have 300mbps fibre via Sosh, who are one of the operators that the site was flagging up to provide ADSL. You do wonder…

I’d certainly kill for fibre just at the moment - I think I have your dodgy Livebox as mine is reconnecting every few minutes making it rather difficult to do anything.

To be fair it’s more likely a damp junction box somewhere as it’s been raining heavily this afternoon - but annoying nonetheless and something which fibre should take in its stride.

1 Like

do tell us more Shiba? was it the outfit similar in colour to Easyjet?

“Coincidentally” when fibre was rolled out in our village, the Orange ADSL speed dropped substantially. I’m sure it wasn’t linked…