Orange fibre broadband installed but upload speed not fast

I think that was the point being made… you should really be testing the speed of the internet entering your property (using a number of freely available applications) not the speed of the WiFi in the property if that was what was being measured since there are so many factors which can skew the results - internal features being one example (ie thick stone internal walls).
Where WiFi does matter is where you are using a 4G router from a local mast - again, the measure should be direct with the router (and thus the mast) not from a device connected internally to the router.
I use a Bouygues 4G router and there are often differing results from testing the speed at the router as opposed to using my mobile phone (accessing the same mast directly) which can indicate an issue. Rebooting the router often fixes any issues.

2 Likes

It took ours a week or so to become stable. I put it down to the engineers connecting other subscribers in the vicinity.

In the end it’s what you are able to use that matters. But when I was testing my new LiveBox I had my phone just a few feet away from the box. That should result in minimal WiFi degradation. The purpose of the test was to establish if I was getting the full performance to the router from public service. As I was able to get nearly 500 megabits from the upload speed, I was confident that the test was valid.

The next job is to migrate the three node mesh WiFi modes I have been currently using from my own Bouygues 4G Box service (though I chose to use a better 4G Router than the one provided). Once that is successfully completed I will decommission the 4G service - anyone interested in a pair of nice dual-phase 4G antennae? :slight_smile:

could have been but we are now waiting on Fibre…
The standby position is Starlink… but I think you are right to have held on to the 4G router account until you are happy - that will be our position too when it happens.

We had a visit from an Orange representative yesterday. He signed us up for the transfer to the fibre that has been hanging around outside for over a year now. They are due to install on 24th April :slight_smile:
When asked about speeds he smiled and said 600Mbs to 2Gb/sec … I laughed and said that would mean my Starlink is redundant, we will wait and see what speed we get and how reliable it becomes as there are signs already of some cable issues as i drive around the area.

I confess I was getting a bit cross with TalkTalk when my broadband speed dropped to 100Mbps or so.

Turned out that a loose Ethernet RJ45 had lost connection on one pair so was working at 100Mbps, not 1Gbps. Oops :flushed:

I hadn’t noticed as it was still “working”.

1 Like

My heart bleeds for you, a 100Mbs tut tut imagine that, if only :roll_eyes::grin::laughing:

Starlink is cool - but really expensive.

Yeah, but it’s supposed to be 500.

Anyway the point was slow speed wasn’t actually a problem with the broadband, but with my networking, so always worth checking.

“Starlink is cool - but really expensive.”

50 EUR a month after purchasing the hardware isn’t bad if there are few alternatives.

1 Like

I met someone the other day that uses Starlink in his car and motorhome. As I said, it is cool tech, but the Bouygues 4G Box and now FTTH means I wasn’t hooked (We have a Tesla, too, - I’m not anti-Musk at all, though he can be weird at times!). At the time I first subscribed to the 4G Box Starlink was about 100 Euros a month and the kit cost at least another 500 Euros. At the first house we lived in, the (free) 4G Box didn’t need an external antenna, and I was getting 150 megabits, for 36 Euros a month. When we moved, I knew that the extended distance to the 4G mast and the thick stone walls of the house would require an external antenna. But that was only about 150 Euros in all, and I installed it myself. And then of course there is 5G to consider - I don’t know yet if there is a 5G box offering :smiley: - it would make sense! If we had bought a house well out of mobile signal range then of course Starlink would have been the obvious choice, but I doubt that we’d have bought a house in such a location.

1 Like

I’m still running our 4G Box with the mesh nodes attached to it because we need reliable Internet for work video conferences and I think it is going to take a little while to reposition the mesh boxes - I may need to do some drilling through walls as the LiveBox is in a completely different part of the house (downstairs) to where the 4G router is (upstairs), and our house is basically two stone houses with doorways linking the two, so there is still a very large area of two foot thick stone wall down the middle of the house. My PC is almost as far as you can get from where the LiveBox is. I have temporarily connected it over the mains using a couple of gigabit powerline adapters, but the loss in speed is, predictably, huge, from 500gb up and down, to 49 up and 33 down! The ping improved though!

Screenshot 2023-03-19 125656

AFAIK there is but is mainly rolled out in city areas…

Connecting my laptop to the LiveBox with both cat5e and then cat6 cables resulted in a strange but marginal set of differences. Using cat5e resulted in a download speed of about 510mb. Cat6 was about 516mb. But I consistently had better better ping latency with cat5e, 6ms vs 10ms. The cat6 cables were longer (3m vs 2m). The LiveBox comes with a cat5e cable. My cat6 cables came from old Virgin routers I used to have in the UK.

the max length of a cat5e link is usually 100m before it starts to degrade.