Orange inform me I no longer have an ADSL line

Ok I am a newcomer to stuff like the domino etc but I run my own website and it needs updating with photos etc regularly and I download loads of instruction manuals and other associated stuff. I have a desktop system in my space which is just at the limit of a wifi signal from the house. I love the wee domino box but its expensive - so in short will the free mobile contract enable me to use my XP10 based PC as I use it now - the 100 gbs is plenty but how do I use this with my setup. I have an ipad and iphone but when it comes to my website and facebook pages - and my designaknit software they ain’t too handy. (Besides which I need a big screen to work with). I have an appointment with the assistant Mairie tomorrow. Hope I am not boring everyone to tears with this - but it shows that despite the fact I have been a customer of Orange since 2003, they seriously don’t give a damn.

Maggi you simply use the Freemobile sim in your smartphone to provide a wifi hotspot - just google it. Really simple :slight_smile:

The original line did go through a much younger oak tree - but its seriously big now, this is where I miss my husbands skills the most, he would have been up a ladder with his power saw and tackled the problem in no time, now its a fight to get him not to do it (he has heart and kidney failure and associated memory problems. It’s the mess that Orange have left behind that annoys me - iehalf done job awaiting me to contact them.

Fingers crossed it gets sorted soon… :slight_smile:

Maggi - dump the Orange line!

Now that sounds more like the info I need Simon - thanks for all your help - lets face it - what I have now is an expensive livebox connection that does not work well - your solution means I get a decent wifi signal at less cost. Sorry about my ignorance re this technology.

2 Likes

Contact Tom Dunham and see if you have a LTE Mast anywhere near you, if so he can help you out and you could end up with better and faster internet than you had before: http://www.cctechnician.com

1 Like

Already tried that - no joy only 3g here in Lohuec - update is - now 4 weeks no line, temporary line laid across my neighbour nd our driveway - it does not work - enf of day, technician disappeared saying that despite having an ADSL line since 2007 - we are too far from the exchange - orange now say they want me to prune a large oak tree (no chance) as that may be causing the problem - now asked the maire to take a look and perhaps intervene - still awaiting a visit - we need to get this line repaired and the temp one removed before I can move on - Orange refuse to come back until we tackle the oak tree - deadlock approaching

Unless the maire can get Orange moving I suspect it will come down to two options:

1. Deal with the tree and put the ball back in Orange’s court
  2. Ditch the landline and go with 3G, if the signal is good enough it will be faster than your old ADSL connection anyway.

I’ve only had a 4G phone since last October. The 4G connection is better than my slow ADSL but a good 3G connection was always much slower than it.

From what she has said Maggie doesn’t have the option of 4G

However, I used a 3G router for the 1st 6 months or so before the village had VDSL - definitely useable and should be faster than 512kbps if the signal is half decent.

Yes, 4G is nicer - but if it isn’t available there’s not much to be done about it.

My point is that 3G is nowhere as good as 4G. The difference between the two is huge. 4G is a real alternative to ADSL, 3G is not unless, as is possibly the case, ADSL in not an option.

And my point is that, while I agree 4G is noticeably faster, than 3G - with the right kit, 3G should still be faster than an 8km ADSL line which could only manage 512kbps even when it was  working, and, anyway, Maggie can’t magic up a 4G signal if three is only a 3G signal where she lives.

1 Like

OK, I concede you may have the last word. My experience counts for nothing.

Don’t take umbrage David - of course your experience counts and I have not disagreed with you at all. But my experience is that 3G is tolerable in the right circumstances, 4G isn’t an option for Maggie and it would appear that ADSL is not an option either unless Orange are willing to at least try and sort her line out.

You have obviously missed the point that I was making.

Ditto, lets leave it shall we as we’re clearly not making any progress which is helping Maggie

The speed differential makes a h u g e difference. If my ADSL was down I could only rely on my good 3G signal for basic internet access. With 4G the mobile access is better all around. What I’m saying is that if 4G is not available do not expect 3G to be a viable alternative. It is not. Cut the oak tree and put the ball back in Orange’s court.

Are we even having the same conversation?

This isn’t 3G vs 4G, it’s not 3G vs good ADSL, it is not even, as things stand, 3G vs crap 512kbps ADSL though that might be worth discussing.

It is 3G vs no ADSL because Orange say it isn’t possible and even if Maggie cuts the tree back there is no guarantee that Orange will give her anything other than a phone line.

Can’t you see that we are talking about Maggie’s situation, not yours, not mine and not the general case.

1 Like

Of course I can. What I am saying is.

1. 4G is good.
  2. 3G is nowhere near good enough to use as a primary internet connection. It is only good enough for basic functions and is then v e r y slow.

If that was the case for me it will be the case for anyone else. If the ADSL line worked before it’s far better to press to get it sorted than to suggest relying on an unsuitable connection.

I’ve never mentioned good ADSL.I live at least 8km from my local town and the end of a long line. Even so thecADSL I receive is much, much, much better than using 3G.