Our Carte Vitals to migrate to our smartphones

The fact that it has no keypad of any description with which to operate the thing.
Thus the controls are all touch screen, which for a person such as myself with a high natural electro-magnetic aura, makes the smartphone simply impossible to operate.
The wife has one, but putting my hand anywhere near it causes it to race off into the wild blue yonder much to her annoyance. I take care not to touch the screen, but if I point to some onscreen thing with my finger, very often it is instantly gone !
Now you might find it difficult to believe, but honestly, I cannot operate a smartphone even if I am touching the correct onscreen areas. The phone just goes crazy.

A similar phenomena happens with walk through metal detector apparatus at airports. Honestly, I could strip naked and the darn thing would still go off every single time. Iā€™ve removed my belt, taken all the loose change and keys out of my pockets, left my wallet in my jacket on the conveyor belt, taken my shoes off, and yet the lights still flash and the buzzers sound every time. Before anyone asks, no I donā€™t have any metallic bodily implants.

A similar annoyance happens with transistor radios. I walk towards it to adjust the volume or tuning, and it falls silent as I reach out to make the relevant adjustment.

Over the years I have received some very nice gifts of watches and lighters that have quartz crystals that mean that they are supposed to virtually work for ever. After 3 months on my wrist, or in my pocket, they no longer function.

So you see there are some of us, admittedly probably a very small minority, for whom the smartphone, or indeed anything else that is touchscreen operated, is simply a complete non starter.

2 Likes

I do sometimes wonder if this is inevitable. Personally, Iā€™m a kick in the backside away from 60 but canā€™t yet imagine that day. Iā€™m still fascinated by the white heat of technology and the improvements it brings.

My word, that does sound bizarreā€¦ and yet another example of how we are not all the sameā€¦

folk who find something easy-peasy often cannot imagine that anyone might have difficultiesā€¦

ah wellā€¦ breakfast beckonsā€¦ :wink:

Yes - the number of people who have commented on the fact that I choose not to have a Smartphone is infuriating - and Iā€™m certainly no Luddite. I have a laptop and an old iPad, both of which are more than sufficient for my use. I have an old dumb phone, circa 2007, for emergencies and no shame (it has been laughed at countless times and no, itā€™s not a brick). I have always found phones intrusive so this is one reason, the other being cost. I donā€™t have a television either and this appears to be yet another crime.

2 Likes

certainly no crimeā€¦
I suspect folk donā€™t realize how near to bullying any of us can getā€¦
as we chuckle/mock/whatever at someone ā€¦

should give us all pause for thoughtā€¦ (and I include/accuse myself)

1 Like

So you have an oversized smartphone! We would find it a bit ridiculous in the west but Iā€™m always a little surprised when I go to Asia for work just how interchangeably people in Japan and South Korea for example use phones and tablets. It doesnā€™t seem especially unusual to see someone using a tablet just as if it was a phone. In a practical sense coming back to the carte vitale, as much as you perhaps wouldnā€™t want to for practical reasons, if you have an iPad you could in theory download the CV app and get your MT to scan your iPad. It is a reminder that people donā€™t need to spend 1200ā‚¬ on an iPhone to get access to apps, you can get a basic tablet that has access to the Google App Store for 80ā‚¬.

1 Like

but in more recent times, a number of these apps require 32 bit technology and the old iPad is 16bit so many apps are unavailable on my old iPad 2 which I only use now for listening to music.

2 Likes

Exactly, many apps are unavailable and it actually came to light just last night that the latest Twitter app isnā€™t available on my iPad which means I can no longer access it (no bad thing given how angry Twitter makes me).

1 Like

A genuine bright spark :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The thing is my CV sits comfortably in my purse whereas carrying an iPad about is a hassle (and itā€™s probably too old for the app anyway). I donā€™t really want another tablet and have more important things to spend 80ā‚¬ on (half my pension). I used to teach IT and embrace technology but there are times when I wish it just didnā€™t exist in the sense that it dominates so many peopleā€™s lives.

3 Likes

Well you only have to see a couple out to dinner each constantly checking their phones or the people heads down, phone in hand down walking along the street and across roads to agree with that. But I donā€™t blame the technology, itā€™s the idiots that misuse it I blame :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

so thenā€¦ the fault with todayā€™s youth is down to you :wink: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think not having a television was considered as much weirder before streaming became ubiquitous, at least people seemed much more up in arms about it and seemed to take it almost as personal criticism 20 or 30 years ago if one didnā€™t have it, very odd. Now it doesnā€™t seem to shock :slightly_smiling_face: (I am a have-not, by the way).

1 Like

I use my tablet a good 80% of the time I spend using electronics, the rest is split between smartphone and desktop.

Ha ha - I taught adults in the context of learning English.

1 Like

Do those people you see using a tablet as smartphone also have a pc? or do you think theyā€™ve converged their pc onto the tablet as well?

Asia is generally ahead of us in consumer tech so Iā€™d be interested to know - especially as Iā€™m thinking of doing the same myself

I went to an iPad only about 5 years ago and would never go back!
A majority of sites now work better on mobile devices as they are increasingly being designed for that. As the majority of people use themā€¦!

1 Like

Does anyone remember what was before the CV?

Vaguely remember having to peel off the prices( ? vignettes) on every medication used and stick it on the brown form to send off to Assurance Maladie.I,m sure someone can give you a more accurate description.

2 Likes

Yes Carol, that was a pain. Just think of all the man/ woman hours wasted in pharmacies in the 80s and 90s with the staff peeling and sticking.
Good job weā€™ve evolved since then.