Our Favourite Space Cadet Has Gone

Aw, boo, Paco Rabanne has died.

A classmate of mine in Paris was a great fan of his men’s fragrance and used to wear it herself. She embarrassed us both terribly one time going up an escalator in Les Halles by having raptures because the bloke in front of us was wearing it :laughing:

I fell in love with my husband after he left a cashmere scarf at my home after a big party and it smelled of YSL Kouros. I was 21 :star_struck: Still have the scarf :partying_face:

3 Likes

Some Paco Rabanne aftershave sat in our bathroom for about twenty years. No doubt a Christmas present from somebody. I’m not much of an aftershave person :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Takes one back, in my case to 1975, I bought a bottle duty free, returning from Venice on a student train ticket - remember the NUS student travel brochure being always eagerly awaited - how far could one afford to go this year?

The other one I remember from that time was Nina Ricci’s Signor Ricci - smelt like G&T. Won’t bore you further with my life in cologne (which could complement my life in coffee making on the coffee thread. Fast forward to the last quarter century and my all time favourite remains Czech & Speake No.88 - nothing else like it. Only drawback is these days in the rural depths of the Aveyron it seems a a bit OTT - too exotically metropolitan

1 Like

I fell in love with mine because he smelt like a human being! Neither of us like anything perfumed be it after shave or toilet cleaner. Taking the tube in the mornings would make be want to throw up at times as the contrasting smells were just so unpleasant. I get that people so sometimes like these smells, but why use soooo much!

1 Like

One of our friends still wears Kouros

1 Like

I never wear it, am allergic to certain things. The trouble with scents, is your own sense of smell stops sensing them after a bit, which may lead some to over-apply. I had a colleague who was a wonderful person and I enjoyed her company greatly, but the stuff she wore ponged terribly! Never had the heart or the right words to tell her, though.

Pheromones and their effect on women’s mood and sexuality - PMC (nih.gov)

I don’ t use a cologne to find a fresh mate, it’s just part of dressing up to go out on a social occasion, particularly with the post-Covid return of the bis. And most people grow out of using too much.

1 Like

Paco Robane used a lot of bergamot from the smell of it.

My favourite men’s scent of all time, sadly now but a memory, was Hermès Rocabar. Sooooo sexy! Could make just about any man look attractive. And some irresistible.
:scarf:

Scent is personal, like colour preferences. We can’t all be the same.

1 Like

Not in our supermarket!

( especially with the return of la bise)

4 Likes

I lost my sense of smell 60 years so whatever anyone smells like will impressed me