Over 65 Moving to France with existing health conditions

I am in receipt of my state pension. I am hoping to move to France in the near future but am still unsure about the S1. I have existing medical conditions for which I’m prescribed medicines every month in the UK. I understand I will not receive the S1 until I move to France, how long does it to receive it and in the mean time how do I go about getting my tablets without an S1. Am assuming I also need some sort of top up insurance as well. I’m very confused any help advice would be gratefully received. Thx in advance.

I thought you could apply for an S1 prior to the move, once you have a firm date in the not too distant future. Have a chat to the overseas team at DWP.

I’m just wondering if your UK doc will prescribe for more than 1 month… which would enable you to arrive with a stock of the necessary medicines to tide you over if necessary…until the S1 arrives and is logged onto the French system

Lack of an S1 or CV does not stop you going to the doctor and getting a prescription but you would have to pay for the consultation and prescription items in full.

Quite right Poppy…

that is why I am suggesting she comes over with enough for a few months… while the Doctor’s fee will be standard 25 euro I think… medicine costs can be horrendous :anguished:

Thank you for your reply. I will see if my doctor will oblige. Have you any idea how long it takes to get an S1 ?

Phone the people in Newcastle. They are very clued up on the situation re expats emigrating to EU countries and they will be happy to answer your questions and give you advice.

Ruth, having got your S1 you will have to apply for a Carte Vitale, for which you should look on the advice pages here.

I know! My monthly medicaton costs were about 58 euros before my CV was up and running :frowning:

How long is a piece of string!

Around here… the “how long is a piece of string” reply… is… “bonne question” :grin:

1 Like